1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy Dismissed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omair, May 18, 2007.

1. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

What can you do when you got an owner who thinks you get a couple of stars and you don't need to spend anything more?

Les doesn't know what it takes to be a winner. Frankly, none of these new owners do.

That's why Pat Riley is successful - because he takes on the GM role as well. That's why old-school teams can continue to build contenders and don't go down hill - like San Antonio, Utah, and even Phoenix - they are run by organizations that make prudent decisions.

They don't blame thier personel mistakes on the coach.

Who's responsible for the players at the end of the day - and the wallet? It's Les and CD.

Funny how people were saying CD should get GM of the year - no one saying that now. I like CD, but man, he makes a lot of bad decisions too.

2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I seriously doubt that the Rockets will bring back the same roster next season, other than Yao, McGrady, Battier, and maybe Howard.

3. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Please learn to spell our new coach's name (is there any reason to think he won't be?). That would be Richard Leonard Adelman.

4. Rulow00

Rulow00 Member

Does anyone know what job the Rockets offered JVG? Did JVG take the job?

5. NewYorker

And what will you do with Rafer, Hayes, and Head? Trade them for a towel guy?

6. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

So do I. That's what makes me sad. I love all of our guys. Well, except Bonzi, but he was never one of us to begin with.

7. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Not sure what the job was. The article suggested a consultant position, but he turned it down.

8. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Either ballboy or towel girl's job.

9. NewYorker

We have been in drift. We need a talent infusion badly. Not a trade - an infusion.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

spot on. i find this move completely unneccessary... you make some decent personnel moves this offseason (pf, pg, athleticism) and JVG is more than capable of taking this team to the next level.

van gundy had his faults, but anyone who thinks that any other coach could've gotten more out of our severe lack of talent (outside of our 1-2) is a damn fool.

11. GALLIS

GALLIS Member

Finally !!!!! He brought it to himself.
    ROCKETS 2007-2008 NBA CHAMPIONS
    All that stress ,all that negativity gone , the beginning is half the way .
    A lot of work , patience and positive thinking that's what we need ( in other words Adelman) :D :D

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hated ISO, but I also understood that Rudy figured out a way to make it work (somewhat) and the league was forced to adapt to it.

I can recognize something that happened, not like it, but later reflect that it was revolutionary. (And still not like it).

Aren't you happy that a new coach will be brought in and probably bench Rafer?

This is a day of celebration, don't rain on my parade !!

DD

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

From where I sit it appears to work. I mean, just look at how many people are still out there buying Texans' season tickets.

14. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

I can't really believe some of you guys. Things like the very thought that Spanoulis is an all world player, who's going to break out now that he's free from the chains of Van Gundy is laughable. :rolleyes:

JVG was more driven to win than just about anyone, and he'd do whatever it took to win even if it was ugly. I hate Rockets fans who will be happier with our 42-40 record next year and 7th seed just because they average 102 PPG.

I know it's human nature (at least for Americans) to always be optimistic and hopeful for change. But, just don't forget that change can also be bad--very bad, too.

Others posted that lack of talent is really the problem, and I agree. The rules changes to zone mean you need a more balanced 5. It's sad to me that big men can't dominate like in the illegal defense days.

Waxing nostalgic for iso basketball and good luck Jeff, you deserve better than what most Rocket's fans are giving.

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

God help us all.

16. jdrock

jdrock Member

Sad to see JVG go.. was a good person that brought a lot of fire to this team.

We will see an entirely different brand of Rockets basketball next year.. I don't think anyone can say for sure if we'll be better or worse off.

17. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I agree with you, but I'm not sure how you know that JVG is solely responsible for bringing in our crappy role players? IMO if JVG is responsible he should be let go, if not then he should stay. I think he did an admirable job with the lack of talent we had.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

bingo.

this is becoming a joke.

19. RedRaiderRocket

I just wonder if Adelman will refuse to play Vspan as well because of his poor shooting and high turnover and foul problem, if they will call for his head too.

20. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Players I know for a fact JVG wanted aren't on this team... I'm not saying it was anyones fault, it just didn't happen, I know of two for certain...at least he said he wanted them...