1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WILLIS A ROCKET AGAIN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Icehouse, Oct 23, 2001.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Yea, we get another year of jump-hook airballs!

:rolleyes:

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

For some of you guys who are worried about what we are going to get from Willis at this point, he is averaging 9.5 ppg and 10 rpg in the preseason, and last Saturday, against the Mavs, had 16 points <b>18 rebounds</b>! We are in awesome shape now!

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Kevin worked hard for the Rocks when he was here before, and the man showed TOP class (unlike some others) when traded. Didn't he have a small contract because he wanted to stay in Houston, then we traded him the next year?

Anyway, glad to see 'TRex' back!

4. B

B Contributing Member

Man this is wonderful! I was too busy with my fantasy draft that I just found out about this. We now are in great shape in every position. Sure, we just have an average front court, but before this trade I wouldn't even call our front court average. I just hope Steve learns real quick that Willis is nicked named T-Rex for a reason. With since Willis has extremely short arms for his height, Steve needs to be careful with the alley-oop passes to Willis. I may post more thoughts about this trade tomorrow, I just really need some sleep before my job interview tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Night,
    B

5. treeman

treeman Member

Marc? Who's 'Marc'?

Say hello to the #6 seed again.

6. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

nugzfan;
    nuggets get 2 picks right? one from milwaukee(1st round) and another from rockets(2nd round).

either way, this trade seems really good for all 3 teams.

7. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I heard that Willis' nickname is 'Devo'. It sounded really stupid, but is it true???

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NBA.com states that the Rocket's second round pick went to the Bucks, not the Nuggets.

9. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Good luck B on job interview-your posts are on target

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I second that, B, good luck on your job interview.

Kevin Willis did an outstanding job for the Rockets his previous 2 seasons. Here's a trivia question for you: who was he traded for when he first left the Rockets? HINT: This person was then traded for Quitten.

The only thing that scares me about Willis is that he is 39. Hopefully, he won't break down, as he has shown remarkable conditioning for someone his age. Remember, he's also like a 3rd or 4th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do or one of the martial arts. Definitely, should start at PF and can also play C. This now allows KT to come off the bench, and makes a very weak frontcourt better. I have read several times that all we had to give up was a 2nd round pick. I'm assuming that we also traded our injury exception, but can't find any confirmation on this.

Any way, it's great to wake-up and know that Kevin Willis is a Rocket again!

11. Thanos

Thanos Member

Manny, don't expect Willis to be a starter. He should split the 5 with Cato, leaving only garbage time minutes to Collier.

Rudy seems quite pleased with KT so far, so I would say it's his starting job to lose and if that happens, it will likely be to Griffin by mid-season.

We might see Cato and Willis on the court together sometimes, but it will probably on certain matchups.

That's my guess, anyway.

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Willis won't start UNTIL Cato gets hurt again. I agree that they won't play on the floor together. We need them both to rotate in and out so we have one fresh center. Maybe against SA to match up sometimes.

The concern I have is his age and our running. We run alot! Can the old man keep up? I hope so. I enjoyed his play in Houston last time. Somebody else mentioned Steve's ally-oops and Kevin's short arms. That's hilarious!

If he can average close to 10-10 then the Rocks are set! Yea baby! TRex is back.

Anybody know the terms of his contract? Can't be much.

13. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Key word is when Cato gets hurt.

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I think we're more likely to see Willis and Griffin on the court together. As I see it the main purpose is to insure that we have a big guy Cato/Willis who can't be pushed around on the court whenever we need it. Griifin is the perfect compliment to Willis. Willis stands his ground and Griffin blocks shots.

We've upgraded from last year.

Hakeem and Taylor to Willis and Griffin. Even
    (injuries factored)

Anderson to Torres Even

Bullard to Rice Upgrade

Rodgers to Morris (injuries factored) Even

Thomas 2000 to Thomas 2001 Upgrade

Cuttino/Steve/Moochie 2000 to 2001 Upgrade

Cato 2000 to Cato 2001 Upgrade

15. PhiSlammaJamma

I like the deal because we had nobody in the post who could actually post up except for a shaky Kenny. But it just goes to show you how Rudy is still holding onto the past. Eddie Griffin is the perect combination for us, but he's just too young. I think you will see a lot of playing time from Kevin this year at both the Center and Power Forward position. If anybody loses out, it will be Kenny Thomas. Cato should get his minutes.

16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Member

Rock on Kevin

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

PSJ,

Rice can post up on smaller SF. The Rockets also do a good job when Mobley fakes the post. I still don't see the rockets posting up much with Willis.

Willis is a good addition. Cato doesn't have to worry about foul trouble with a warrior backing him up.

18. Drofnarc

Drofnarc Member

I like the trade (if Willis can remain healthy). Wasn't he injured quite a bit last season? Seems like I remember him going to Denver and then missing quite a few games?

Oh, man my co-worker is going to give me crap about this one. He is constantly bringing up the trade offer we got for Hakeem several years ago. I think it was Toronto that offerred Doug Christie, Kevin Willis and a high pick (which was used on Jonathen Bender) for Hakeem. Anybody remember the details of that trade offer? What year was that? I'm wanting to say 97.

--Drof

19. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

When Willis was here, who was it that he had the personal problems with? Was it Barkley? or Drexler? I can't remember. What I remember most about Big Kev was that stretch when Hakeem was out and he carried us on his big back. But I also remember there being some tension. Who was it that he had his problems with?

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree with Joe Joe. Although I'd use a stud PF/C if I had one, we don't need much post ups,,,except as a slump stopper or a last minute play. Willis isn't good enough for either. I'd choose Rice on a SF for that role.

What we really need is rebounding and defense. Willis doesn't have to give us more offense than what he makes for himself.

Willis at PF with Cato at C??? Boy, some of you guys really don't want to see K9 start. Who is going to set 24-high picks for Francis and Mobley with those two on the court? Also, in a new development, we used the high post against SA, unlike we've seen since before Dream. Kenny ran that as a passer and middle picker. I don't see Willis or Cato doing that. K9 is a smart player and active picker. He helps Steve and Mobley get loose more than many give him credit. 6'7" or not, he is a natural rebounder.

btw: I heard this morning that Ike met Willis at the airport and Willis already accidentally broke Ike's nose when the rookie went for his bags. poor rookie...keeps breaking his nose.

#40 heypartner, Oct 23, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2001