1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O.J. Tossed From Steakhouse on Derby Eve

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by famicom, May 9, 2007.

1. fredthered

fredthered Member

Most privat bussinesses have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. If he wanted to, he could refuse serve blacks, or hispanics, or whatever, as long as he dosnt discriminate in hiring practices. Its his restaurant and his food, as a result, his rules.

2. Cesar^Geronimo

I do not believe a restaurant can deny service to someone based upon race -- that was the whole reason for the 60's civl rights movement.

3. fredthered

fredthered Member

Im pretty sure that even if it was racialy motivated, Ruby didnt break a law. Private establishment can refuse service to anyone.

4. fredthered

fredthered Member

Pretty sure that was paid for with tax money, meaning its not a private bussiness.

5. fredthered

fredthered Member

Yeah, your right, my mistake.

6. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

OJ is a murderer, at one point I wasn't sure I could have convicted him because I had some reasonable doubt. But his behavior after his aquittal is just so clearly that of someone who got away with murder, not someone who had been wrongfully accused.

I would refuse service to OJ if I had a restaurant. Same deal for any of the oh so white Enron theives etc.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

THere is no differance. You're thinking of the Discrimination act of 1964. A private place reserves the right not to serve black people, regardless. There is nothing he can do.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Apologies in advance for the large amount of text, but here's a link to the Civil Rights Act, 1964; also pasted and selectively bold-typed the first part of Title II, which discusses public accommodations and private clubs.

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/laws/majorlaw/civilr19.htm

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

RocketRiver: Do you seriously think OJ didn't kill those people? Because, if so, you are totally insane. I'd never thought that about you.

I'd be hell of pissed if he was denied service for race or gender or religion or sexual orientation, but apart from that private businesses reserve the right to refuse service. I say, right on.

Shortly after the 04 election, the Bush twins tried to get a table at a hot Manhattan restaurant. The maitre-de told them they wouldn't have a table available until 2008 and the patrons stood and cheered as the Bush girls left. I say, RIGHT ON.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

From what I can remember from the debates about the OJ trial, it didn't really matter to RR whether OJ did it. He had to be let go no matter what...

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wasn't Ron Goldman a waiter?

It'd be like serving pizzas at Chuck E Cheese to a registered pedophile.

12. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

delete

#72 glad_ken, May 14, 2007
    Last edited: May 14, 2007
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Wait, there's a lawsuit coming out of this??

Wow. For a defense attorney that's like my grandma pitching a beachball underhanded to Barry Bonds..

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed...And the lawyer talking about Race? WTF is that? He just didn't want OJ there, period, end of story...

15. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

If I were the owner and I was sued over this I would just tell the jury - "What would you do? There's OJ and a room full of steak knives!"

16. langal

langal Contributing Member

Apparently the restaurant owner used to have a picture of him and OJ in the lobby (like the ones a lot of restaurants put up of celebrity guests).

He did take it off after the murders.

Also heard that Michael Jordan ate in the very same room that OJ was kicked out of later that nite.

Kind of blows the race thoery out of the water.

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Probably because they really don't have a good case and it would just bring more bad publicity.

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Or OJ doesn't have the money for a court battle.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I thought about that but he was in kentucky for the derby.