1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dentist] Two 'Broken' Teeth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by teknokid, May 12, 2007.

1. teknokid

teknokid Member

Anyone dentist or someone who has knowledge in dental could help me with this.

So within a month, I lost teeth twice playing basketball, both time got elbowed. Strange thing is that I have been playing basketball all my life (for 20 yrs+) and I have never had this happened to me. Another strange thing is, both time, it wasnt even a hard hit. Both offenders have told me that they thought it was not hard enough to 'break' my teeth in half.

No, both teeth did not get kocked out completely... they are just broken in half and the root part of the teeth are still evident.

Those two teeth, suspiciously enough, were the one just got treated (root canal, last september). I had to spend more than $3000 for last yr's whole treatments (root canal.. bridge. . etc. etc.) Now I have to pay $1000 a piece for each tooth. I am talking about $5000 just to get my teeth fixed up.

I was just wondering if my previous dentist is responsible for these teeth since he did not warn me or anything. Could it be the result of a malpractice also? How can teeth break in half by getting elbowed? In both case, I did not bleed anywhere... not even on my lips. I have one tooth saved, and another one is completed crahsed into lil pieces.

Could someone pelase adivse me? I dont wanna blow up my saving account for this : (

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

1000$ for one tooth seems a bit much, same exact thing happened to me twice where I lost half my tooth and it only cost like 350 to replace. You should probably get a new dentist, they usually take advantage of their practice terms and rip people off..

3. dookiester

dookiester Member

i don't trust any health professionals. so easy for them to get people to pay for crap they don't need. and its worse than being scammed by an auto mechanic or something, because its not your car their tinkering with, its your body.

4. teknokid

teknokid Member

Did you have the broken piece with you?

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

A root canal procedure basically kills the tooth. So basically, all the nerves are extracted, and replaced with a plant like substance. Because the tooth is technically dead, it becomes fragile, like glass. Think of it like an apple without the core. I am assuming since you paid $3000, you had a crown made as well right? A porcelain one? That is why your costs were so high.

Well, it's standard procedure for the patient to sign a waiver before any major procedure, and I know root canals are included. Thus, you'd be wasting your time with any malpractice. It's the patient's responsibility to read. It is very common for teeth to break after a root canal.

6. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

nope they just constructed the new half of the tooth, they did a nice job too you cant tell at all, the only way I can tell is it feels smooth on the bacK.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Wear a mouth piece.

DD

8. FJY

FJY Member

It's time for me to give some great advice.

All health, mechanic shops will rip you off, and charge you 1000% more.

As for your problem, I would do a bonding, it's easy, fast, painless, cheap, and most importanly, it works, it looks like real.

It will last 5 years or more w/o problem if you don't do stupid things like biting ice w/ it.

My dad's has last almost 10 yrs now.

Mine is feeling it belong to me more as more days passed by.

9. FJY

FJY Member

BONDING...

It takes like 2 hours, and seriously, you won't believe the result, this **** is amazing.

And some place in CA only charge 100 bucks for one.

Most big name will charge 300-400 for one.

10. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

bonding is a temporary fix in my opinion

I had/have a tooth that is "broken" but because of the angle of the chip, the bonding isnt very strong and came off

I went to a dentist and asked to get it bonded again and he told me there is no point, bc itll just fall out again

his suggestion was for me to get a veneer......but then i saw the price, i still have a cracked tooth

11. FJY

FJY Member

both my parent and I have a bonded, he's are almost 10 yrs now, and mine are a yr old without any problems.

Maybe you need to check your dentist for problem.

Veneer is good but expensive, pain, long, and it will damage your original more in order to fix it.

12. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

really? i chipped off a little less than half of one of my front teeth when i was like 10 and whatever the dentist did has held pretty damn well.

would it have been bonding? as i'm pretty sure the half that's in there to replace it , is a fake half now. always been curious about that.

13. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

maybe i should get another opinion.....i chipped half a tooth but is at an angle

because of the ANGLE is supposedly why i could not get it bonded, i had it once and it fell off and when i went to another dentist, they said veneer