1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Memory of JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsinsider, May 6, 2007.

1. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Same here. I thought he had suddenly developed a backbone and then he retracted his newly found spinal column.

2. notthefullquid

notthefullquid Contributing Member

who the hell is j fizzle

3. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I've always said it before... he's a good coach, but not enough to take us far into the playoffs, for all the reasons you mentioned. I've said it all season though I was really hoping I wrong. Alwellz.

4. edc

edc Contributing Member

...that is, an extension with TNT television, of course. Mr. Van Gundy sure as heck isn't getting one from the Houston Rockets...

5. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

My memory of JVG? 3 first round exits and 2 blown 2-0 series lead. In short a loser of a coach.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That team was already poised for the playoffs and could've made it the year before had their coach not fallen ill.

Don't you think Yao would've gotten there anyway? He was drafted #1 for a reason. Great players will be great, regardless of the coach.

Think about it. JVG is the only coach that has had a training camp w/Yao. Therefore no one has any idea what Yao would/could have become. No one looks back at other great players and says that a coach made them what they were.

7. Dei

Dei Member

He would've been great if he had enough talent. He's been incredible for what he did for this team of scrubs.

8. rocketsinsider

not necessarily, plenty of players get drafted #1 and never live up to their potential, just because you get drafted #1 doesn't automatically mean that you can become the best player at your position, yes talent has alot to do with it but you can't tell me it doesn't take the coach pushing you and teaching you for a player to become great.

9. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Don't be foolish. I give JVG 0% credit for developing yao. Yao did it all on his own with hard work and by sacrificing the nba night life that other players choose to live. Yao is in the gym almost all the time working on his game. It's all him and none on JVG.

10. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I always defended JVG, but agree it may be best for him to go. That being said, he deserves credit for the good he has done.

He was the coach that helped Yao develop into a great player.

He was the coach when the Rox took two very good teams to game 7.

He was the coach of the Rox when they made the playoffs 3 of 4 years, with the only miss being when Yao and Tmac missed major time. (PS, that was better then Rudy T's last four years)

He was the coach who created the Red Rowdies

He was the coach who defended Yao and got fined 100K

But like I said I think it is time to move on, but he did do a good job.