1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want JVG back next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AGBee, May 5, 2007.

1. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

In hindsight, its easy to blame JVG now for the Mike James trade with Juwon, but Juwon helped us tremendously when Yao went down. And how can you seriously bring up Bonzi? The guy was a total bust since day one, he never came in in shape or totally dedicated. Its easy to see he was still bitter over his contract situation. We will never know if JVG would of played Millsap or not. He gave Vspan and chance when Synder went down, and he did not respond.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

JVG is unable to live with rookie mistakes while they mature. The only reason he did with Head was because he had no choice.

Was Bonzi really that bad or was it JVG? Even JVG said that Bonzi's shape was not an issue by the end of the season.

3. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Look that was all Coach! Even an idiot like Isiah Thomas would have found a way to include Bonzi Wells into the rotation. To this day, I still wonder how good Novak, Vspan, Tsladakis and Lucas could have been. Remember, this is the team that in the preseason was blowing everyone else out. We had the highest 5 man rating back then. What happened to that team?

4. Whoop92

Whoop92 Member

Bonzi played like crap when he did play him...could that have had anything to do with why Van Gumbo didn't play him? Plus...his Fat butt couldn't stay healthy...he had to move on.

Bonzi is and always was and always will be a knucklehead...he had to play for a last minute veteran exception this season...and do you think he is going to up his value with his performance last season? Does he even have a job next season? Which team gambles the $2 Mil that he will even show up?

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Yup. And JVG put Bonzi back in the rotation and then Bonzi quit.

Thats hardly JVG's fault.

6. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Interesting to see this poll at 85% for Hell No, whereas during the season everyone ripped me for wanting jvg fired this year. He's the worst fraud in the nba as a coach. He's not even a top 10 coach in this league and should not be back for this team next year if they want to advance past the first round. Nice to see people finally eating crow and agreeing with me now though. :cool: :D

7. Panda

Panda Member

Top ten reasons for JVG to go:

1. No offense.

2. No great defense.

3. No spark in personality.

4. No foresight in team development.

5. No bench.

6. No in game adjustment.

7. No fun to play for.

8. No free agents want to play for him.

9. No rookies want to play for him.

10. No fans(except the boring guys) like to watch his ball.

Jeff, please go away with your fans to the land of Boredom and Playoff Exits!!!!

8. TYAOC

TYAOC Member

we'll get nothing under his coach.

9. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

85% said no.

thousands can't be wrong.

10. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Except that there're only 280 responses. Not thousands.

JVG has done some good things, some dumb things this season.

I don't deny that Snyder would've helped us against the Jazz. Heck, even Novak would've given us something than Luther "MIA" Head. Or heck, just throw Mutombo in there for 25 minutes after it became obvious that Yao can't guard Boozer, or get any rebounds for that matter.

But can you honestly say that we would've won 52 games this season without JVG? He has his deficiencies, and he might not be the most flexible coach in this league, but anyone who says that Carlisle is better than JVG obviously hasn't watched Carlisle-ball. Adelman I might give you the benefit of the doubt, but I shudder to think what Adelman would've done with Yao's growth as a low-post beast. But maybe now's the right time to bring in Adelman to take this team, Yao and McGrady especially, to the next level on the offensive end.

11. getready

getready Member

wow....i still remember when not too long ago people were simply happy for us to get into the playoffs after yao went down and nominating jvg for the coy award after we did it comfortably.....

then again i also remember when people were saying yao for mvp and worshipping the whole "u can't f##king stop me" attitude. but now the guy is like a piece of crap and trade bait

things really change quickly around here after a playoff loss

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Once again it is proven that DaDakota was ahead of the curve.....and can talk in 3rd person as well as Steve Francis can....

Got to be a leader people, not a follower.

JVG -GONE !!!

HOOOORRRRAAAAAYYYYYYYY

And there was much rejoicing.

DD

13. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Cuttino Mobley: I would love Houston, but I just think we slowed the ball down too much, and we didn't have as much freedom as we should have. No knock on Jeff (Van Gundy), because he's a great defensive coach. But offensively, I think the freedom like that we have here, with the same defense that he had... you know what I mean? I don't know; Jeff's a good dude. He's misunderstood. But offensively, at times, you were bored and frustrated (laughs). That's just what it is.

14. stq

stq Member

how about starting Hayes over J.Ho?
    how about seriously thinking about starting S.Novak as our starting PF?

It's not JVG's fault that Tmac and Yao got injured and everygame became so critical.
    With margin of error so small, there's no room for rookie mistake.

15. stq

stq Member

fans are fans, what can you say....

16. edc

edc Contributing Member

You want to trade?

Mr. Van Gundy for Phil Jackson? Done!
    T-Mac for Kobe? Seven times a week, and twice on Sunday.

17. KnoxRocketsFan

this pool makes me sick. You guys are not rational as to analyze why we cannot make into the second round. It's the personnel, it's the team's constant change of role players (yes scrubs), it's CD's poor draft year in year out. Look at what we got out of draft in the past 6 years??? Tell me what we got out of draft in the past 6 years!!!!

It's not JVG's fault.

Now you can plan to celebrate a 34-48 record next year with your beloved new coach.

18. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Ant take that joke of a coaching staff with you...

The inability to get anyone outside of Yao or Tracy involved in the entire season or playoffs is shameful

The lack of player development has been rediculous, but most of all...

,... ..... .. .

Watching the offense for the past three season has been the most pain I've felt in my entire life of watching basketball....Sets like these have been the reason the Rockets can not feel up the Toyota Center!!!!!

Does anyone remeber that WIN NOW BS that we were sold at the beginning of the season and how NOVAK was regarded as the best shooter that Tracy has ever seen and we missed out on BOTH, not to mention the taste from RUDY GAY will probably be similar to RESHARD LEWIS!

We have allowed JVG to screw this eam up enough, he seems to have the basketball incite of a retired Michael Jordan in his decsion making be counter-productive...No real clue of the fashion that they have molded this team into being with its unbalanced scoring that comes from the perimeter...the gaame has evolved like 4 yrs ago anf he's trying that 1990s emmo!!! WTF!?!

19. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Who in the hell do you think helps make the decisons....JVG my friend>>>.... he was a supporter for the Rudy Gay trade and wouldn't know what to do with a third scored if he saw one....Bonzi would have had a decent season given the chance....Looking at him, I couldn't tell he was out of shape!!! Not like we run alot up and down the court (0 fast breaking = JVG)

So of course this is a rational poll, because the coach has injected us with this poor excuse for choice in players and extremely questionable trades since he arrived, no move outside the Tracy trade was received as a good one! Cant say the Padgett trade was good because he had no business on the team since we drafted Novak...Battier is woderful for what he does, but we need balanced scoring and the coach probably wouldnt know how to get this done even if we gave him Cutinno Mobley or Stephen Jackson....hell Leandra Barbosa probably would be riding pine because he cant play ***Defense***

The name of the game is to get the ball in the basket and that is the name that JVG cant pronounce!!!!!