1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Meet your new coach: Mario Elie!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by montgo, May 5, 2007.

1. Caboose

Caboose Member

id take larry brown but not ellie. larry would win a title or make us better then run. if we won one id love him.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I say HELL NO to Larry Brown. I cant stand him.

I would love to see Mario as the new coach, Carlisle would be good as well

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Rick Carlisle runs basically the same system as JVG.

4. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

Mario or bring back Rudy!

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I vote for Mario as well.

6. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

houston should try the free wheeling offense instead of jvg cut TO slow tempo offense. Play vspan kirk synder and let yao do whatever he wants including shooting 15-17 foot jumpers instead of muscling for position. I think rockets can do better if rudy is coaching them up till now than 4 yrs of jvg.

7. cyangmai

cyangmai Member

rudy is a good choice.

8. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'd love to have Rudy, I just don't think he wants to coach. But Rudy with Mario as an assistant coach, ready to take over, similar to the Don Nelson-Avery Johnson setup, would be perfect for this team.

9. intersync

intersync Member

To me it is very clear that Avery Johnson is a very special person that has been thinking like a coach his whole career, and Mario Elie is Matt Bullard. I mean, Calvin Murphy was special. I'd rather see him as the coach than Mario. It's all based on impressions, but in the very least I have to say that I don't see anything special about Mario. I read that the Bobcats interviewed him, but they're the Bobcats....not the Rockets

10. sohrab

sohrab Member

players cant restructure contracts.... understand what youre talking about before you act like a ****ing GM

11. tsunami

tsunami Member

If you hate JVG, you will double hate Larry. Larry is double stubbon; he would never rookies like VSpan; and his rotation would not be longer than JVG's 8 man rotation. So JVG haters why you want Larry Brown ?

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I like Mario. I don't want him to fail on the Rockets.

13. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Yes they can it's happened plenty of times before. All a player has to do go to the front office and they make adjustments manipulate the numbers and back end the majority of ones payday to last few years of contract. IDo your homework before sticking your foot in your mouth.

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Rick Adelman and Mario Ellie as an assistant......... :confused:

15. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

It did?

16. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Del Harris!

17. Manuel Romney

Manuel Romney Contributing Member

I dont think Mario is the right fit here, but I did think it was cool for him to take off his championship ring and pass it on down the row, and let people try it on for like 20 seconds each, and he wasn't even looking to see if anyone would steal it, he was too into the game, at least that's what my friend told me who was by Mario during the game.

18. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Yep, it sure did.

Not only did he manage to take a significantly better team to the finals he also found a way to take that same awesome squad to an early fishing trip to South Padre Island.

BTW: There's more to coaching than just getting in a player's face or barking at them. Mario while a sentimental favorite for obvious reasons hasn’t done enough in the league coaching wise to justify taking over for JVG.

19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but Mario doesn't come off all that smart in terms of X's and O's. I know he has been an assistant, but maybe there's a reason for that. Now, if I'm wrong and he's got that aspect of the job in check, then by all means bring him in. He definitely seems to have a winning attitude, and I'm sure he could relate to players very well.

20. koopa

koopa Member

Yeah, JVG should swap jobs with mario