1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does T-Mac have the heart to be a true superstar?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, May 6, 2007.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I ask this because, I believe that the true superstars can put a team on their backs & carry them to the next level. I've heard over & over that T-Mac is a top 5 player. I believe he has all the tools to be just that, but I have to question his desire. He doesn't seem to be able to take over a game at will. The great ones like Jordan, Dream, Magic, Bird, etc., etc. could, & did when the game was on the line.

You can put the blame anywhere you want to, but everyone knew going into the playoffs that this team had no weapons beyond T-Mac & Yao. Now, Yao didn't step up his game either, but I believe everyone on the team looks to T-Mac as the leader, whether he likes it or not. And, he's always the one with the ball in his hands during crunch time.

T-Mac is recognized around the world as a superstar. And, as a result, he's got to step up his game. Unfortunately, he didn't. His regular season scoring average was 24.6ppg, while his playoff average was 25.3ppg. That's not stepping up. His jump shot was gone throughout the playoffs, but instead of driving to the hole, he kept taking jump shots.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I hear, or read somewhere, that T-Mac admittedly didn't want to be the go to guy? I think he said that while in Orlando. If that's true, then he just proved it again. So, that's why I'm questioning his heart & desire to be a true superstar.

In closing, unless the front office puts more talent around T-Mac & Yao, it truely might be time to trade McGrady. But, that's just my opinion.

2. LakersPride

LakersPride Member

No hes to weak.. to soft.

i loved his passion after the game and his emotions but thats weak.

you gotta show strength afterall the dude wanted the world to know it was on him.

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

If he did, he would have already. That bad back isn't helping matters any.

His emotional state is starting to remind me of Vin Baker. Trade him.

4. WannaFly

WannaFly Member

he is more like a superstar than Yao whatever....

5. waterflea

waterflea Member

Sure he did, but his jump shoots are gone now. Hope he will get it back, or he will become a pure playmaker, which is still great but not worth his $$ I think.

It is kind of sad to see in the first half today's game that all Jazz players just ignored him on the 3pt line for an open shot but he still missed. :(

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Unfortunately that's what separates him from Kobe & Wade. The heart of a champ.

7. Chronz

Chronz Member

Both Yao and Tmac have plenty to answer this year, you cant single out Tmac especially after a close out game in which the reason we lost was because we couldnt grab a defensive rebound, and guess how many Yao pulled down tonight.

Tmac showed up, but this whole series is on him. Where was this Tmac earlier in the series? Last year may very well be my last as a Tmac/Yao supporter if I dont see significant improvements in their game.

8. LakersPride

LakersPride Member

Are you saying hes gonna drink to? :confused:

9. WannaFly

WannaFly Member

OK.
    Trade him?
    Who do u want?
    A another superstar?

10. tsunami

tsunami Member

I agree, but so what? it doesn't solve the problem.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

2 weeks ago he said "It's on me!". Tonight with 7:17 to go, with the lead and the Jazz in the penalty, he stopped attacking the basket and started bricking jumpers again.

Just...like...always.

I can no longer believe that this guy is anything but a mentally weak perennial loser when the chips are down.

We aren't going to trade him (partly because nobody wants him because of the back problems), so we had better bring in someone who can lead, and who isn't afraid to step up in a tight game. It won't be him.

12. FJY

FJY Member

Tmac is a prove loser for 6 time, 6 times, count it,

13. LakersPride

LakersPride Member

Not a loser just a unfortunate player.

hes a bad karma and that karma is attached to the Rockets.

14. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I agree that Yao didn't step up either, but it's my opinion that all the players, the coaches, & fans of the sport recognize T-Mac as the true leader on this team. Whether he likes it or not, he needs to step up & embrace the role, or he needs to be traded. And, no to the one that asked, I wouldn't be looking for another superstar talent in exchange. I'd be looking for solid talent to surround Yao with. Utah, Chicago, San Antonio, & Golden State would be some examples of teams loaded with quality talent built around a star player. That's how we need to build this team.

15. madmaxu

madmaxu Member

I think he's just too nice and Yes lacks heart, just like what the Orlando GM said.....MJ would not have allowed someone like Derek Fisher to guard him in the post. Tmac's always in the "can't we all get along" mode when he should be in the "move *****, get out the way" mode

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

He did all he could. he had 3 players hanging off him and yet still scored 29 and 13 assists on almost 50% shooting. .

17. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

This ain't T-Mac's fault. Even Michael Jordan's Bulls would have lost with the way the Rockets play the game.

18. Barkley

Barkley Member

That's not T-Mac's fault, really. He did what he could. He was great but that fu*king rebound in the end...I'm just woebegone I really can't belive that we lost

I saw conferenc with Tracy and he is really hurt really woebegone

19. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Tmac = The Tinman - No heart