1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Yao left the Rockets, what would happen to the BBS traffic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 4, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is just a poll, to gauge the feelings of the Clutchfans.

Let me clarify. What would happen 6 months+ after Yao leaves the Rockets to the BBS. Obviously if he gets traded or something, immediate traffic would be very high.

#1 tinman, May 4, 2007
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  2. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Drop big time. Most people here registered since 2002 probably will leave. :D

3. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

what is the point in asking questions everyone already knows the answers to?

There are some people that are rockets fans

There are some people that have followed tmac all over

There are some fans that have followed Yao everywhere, or will follow him.

then there are varying degrees of each. At this point in time the one thing we all have in common is we all want a win saturday night.

So lets stop fracturing and unite to give ourselves a true Home Court Advantage and beat the hell out of Utah!

4. tinman

Supporting Member

sorry, fracturing or utah was not part of this subject.

the subject is what happens to traffic long term if Yao Ming were not here.

i'll give you an example.

Steve Francis left the Rockets, traffic on Clutchfans did not decrease.

i'm talking about apples you are talking about pad thai. not the same topic.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

What is the answer?
    Why is that answer so obvious?
    explain.

6. Rockets64

Rockets64 Member

Traffic? It would be more like those car commercials where the highways are completely empty.

7. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Obviously, all the YOF's would jump ship. That seems to be about half of the members here, not counting non-registered lurkers. So, I think it is safe to say that it would drop pretty significantly.

8. TYAOC

TYAOC Member

I'd say if Yao left the Rockets, most of the YOFs would be happy, most of the YOHs would regret when Yao scores 30 on us, and to hit the point, most of the Rockets fans would be sad.
    while for this bbs, nothing changed, it's still a bbs for Houston Rockets and its fans.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

A good comparison would be Shaq. Shaq won 3 titles with the Lakers and is one of the greatest to ever play ball. He left the Lakers on non happy terms.

Yet interest in the Lakers did not fall. Jack Nicholson still sits in the front row regardless of if its Shaq, Vlade, Chris Mihm etc.

Why is that?

Clutchfans was created for fans of the Houston Rockets to gather and converse. why would anyone join Clutchfans if they didnt care about the Houston Rockets?

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I think YOF's do care about the Houston Rockets, but only because Yao is on the team. Therefore, when he is gone, there would be no reason to post here anymore.

The Shaq situation is different. Most American sports fans choose a team to pull for and stick with that team. This is the case with the fans of the Lakers. Because of this, while Shaq is very popular, there are very few SOF's (Shaq Only Fans) in the world.

However, there is hope for change of these people. I was once a young BOF (Barkley Only Fan). I grew to love the Rockets and now I'm a die hard fan. I feel something similar would likely happen with a lot of YOFs if Yao retired from the game as a Rocket.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Here's one of my favorite stories I like to tell:

A long time ago I went to Washington DC for work and to visit a friend. My friend had a roomate. We talked about the NBA.
    I, of course, mentioned the Rockets.
    Roomate says he hates "SAM CASSELL". I of course, decapitated him.. Just kidding.

I asked him why and he gave me some laughable arguments. Nothing strong like stats, wins, records etc.

He says he thinks Jordan is the best player in the world and the Bulls are better than the Rockets. Before I even started to debate this...

I asked him to name me 5 Chicago bulls besides Jordan and name me 2 members of the Bulls team with Jordan in the 80s, also name me Jordan's coach before Phil Jackson.

he couldn't answer ANY. I decided not to even waste any energy in debating with him.

Sadly I hope clutchfans don't turn into this guy. cause this guy wasn't really a Bulls fan or even a NBA FAN.

12. rocketfan.china

This is totally case with lakers one. "why would anyone join Clutchfans if they didnt care about the Houston Rockets?" i am able to answer your question from my own point of view, we do care about houstan rockets that is due to yao. you know,it is meaningless when yao got 30+, 15+ and the team still lost,at this point you can cite lakers case :rolleyes: , so hopefully rocket and yao can obtain big time at the same time.

13. rocketfan.china

I mean it is totally different case with lakers one. :eek: stay up whole night, maybe it is time to go to bed :(

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i'll still be here....

15. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

LMFAO

16. tinman

Supporting Member

what if Yao has a bad game? can you say that he had a bad game?
    I've noticed YOFers blaming Tmac for Yao's problems, even though anyone who knows the rules of basketball (ball goes into net = points, ball goes to other team=bad) knows that Yao is responsible for his OWN ACTIONS.

what about when a longtime Clutchfan compares Yao to Ralph Sampson (a former all star and legend), YOF considers it an insult. EVEN THOUGH YOF has NEVER SEEN RALPH PLAY.

Why are YOFers so defensive?

17. tinman

Supporting Member

if I can turn ONE YOFer into a CLUTCHFAN. Then my mission would be accomplished.

I'm the Sally Struthers of Clutchfans.

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

It would be like Vince Young going to the Titans.

19. demon77

demon77 Member

err..he's from houston.......and he only said he'll stay. :rolleyes:

20. tinman

Supporting Member

no it wouldn't. Vince Young is loved by Clutchfans! cause he is a CLUTCHFAN!! ;)