1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NO PLAYOFFS, NO MORE EASY DECISIONS, CHANGES ARE COMING!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CaucasionSensation, Jan 8, 2000.

1. CaucasionSensation

In response to a reeling group on this board claiming the Rockets can still make the playoff let me say to believe none of it, except lottery, tough decision, and free agents all to be looked instead. Wake up people, the time has come for rebuilding and luckily we have already accomplished some of it in the marvelous player that is Francis. This is the process the Rockets must really face.

Our guard rotation is a possibly a future dynamo, but for now they lack the experience for such a run.

Out posts are the black hole on this team, with Chuck gone and Hakeem all but retired. With players like Cato, Rogers, Thomas, we have some foundation for the future.

Changes the MUST or POSSIBLY WILL OCCUR before such a run:

-Williams gone. For the price of 5 a year. No defense. No running. And the shooting that he is known for he has been invisible. Bullard has done what he does much better for only a portion of the price. Replace with a Kendall Gill like player(if you can!).

-GOOD draft selection with the lottery pick
    we will soon recieve. I think we will be in the 4-6 range. Which means an impact player. Martin or Morris take your pick.

-GOOD low post free agent. With Chuck and Hakeem's money. Somebody. You guys pick him. I don't have time to speculate about money and that stuff, that's reserved for Cabbage(where is he?, haven't seen him lately), and other budding GM's.

-Bullard's eventual retirement. While I will say that this year he is a blessing to this organization struggling with an underperfroming / invisible starter. He still falls into the WALT category, which will be endangered in the coming of the "young and the restless" running game (need for more athletic C. Rogers like big men). That said, there is always the need for shooting. Keep on the Injured Reserve (like this year). Remember at the beggining of the year many of you were calling for his head.

-Bryce Drew. Is he the backup point we won't for now and the future? This is certainly a decisive issue. His growth this year has been somewhat wonderous, compared to the player he was last year. If you can't give him any credit for that growth then you likely can't give him credit for anything. While this board ranges from the "Drew pedophiliacs" to the "Ku Drew Klan" who only seek him hanging from a tree, I think I am in the middle. In my opinion he should stay around along as he continues to show that shooting touch, and continual improvement which he has done.

-Mobley must also continue to improve. He has been a great find for us. Is a great slasher, and has a great competitive spirit to him. Also a noted gym rat. His shooting, and shot selection looked to have certainly been improved upon this year, and need to continue to grow.

-Then comes Rudy, does he really have an attachment to the play of old. Is he condusive to change, or not what is needed for the coming of a more run and gun style. I can't really say. I know some Cavemen will tell you he is not. But too much time in the cave is dangerous to one's reasoning. The jury is still out.

-Cato also needs to develop on the block. That is the one of the final pieces / elements to him becoming an elite player in this league. And to eventual defeat of San Antonio in the Western Conference. Think about that.

So that's my check list people. Did I leave anything off? Drew, Bullard, Williams, the draft picks, free agency. All are decisions that loom ahead.

------------------

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Great run down Whitey!!

Let me make a few comments here.

Yes, we are in a rebuilding phase, but I know none of us thought it would happen like this. We traded ourselves into a rebuilding phase. There is no looking back now...only forward, so lets do that.

I agree 100% that our strong point in the next few years will probably be our guard play unless we sign a serious low post player like Duncan(YEA, thats gonna happen!).

Right on with the Williams comments. He has shown signs of adjusting, but I don't think he really will ever fit in the way the Rockets intended him to. I'm with you on trading him for someone that fits our system or someone that will give us immediate cap room.

Draft picks? Let's actually get to the lottery before we start fantasizing on who we'll be able to get. These Rockets still have some fight in them I believe. C'mon we only have to catch the Nuggets!!

I'm beside myself and apparently you too CS on the Drew situation. He shows some signs of being a good guard at times...other times he shouldn't have set foot on the court. You made the point that he has improved and I am of the perception that he will only grow more. Keeper for the time being.

Bullard is the only "real" three point threat aside from Drew and he gives us height. That is all. He'll provide us with some good cap room when all is said and done with his Rockets career.

Mobley...where do I start with him? I've made my points with him a million times. He has pretty much been given the green light and he is hauling a$$ through the intersection! Now if he can just maintain control, he'll be a good(GREAT?) one. Although us giving up Dickerson instead of him should still be a debate seeing what MD is doing in Vancouver now that he is the man and Reeve's isn't.

Rudy still has some tricks up his sleeve. I just wish he'd roll them up and go to work!!

Kelvin Cato...oh boy. You're one rich son-of-a....well you know. The man has got raw talent. He won't overpower anyone, but with his quickness and ability to feed off others play I think he can contribute alot. He won't score alot on a nightly basis, but his defensive game can speak volumes. He just needs to continue to grow with the game.

One person you didn't touch on. Shandon Anderson...a man seemingly lost on the court at times. He has yet to discover his role, although I think it's pretty simple. He is there to be a slasher and play a two-man game with our young guards. Sometimes he plays the 2 and sometimes the 3...that is why he has no role. He's got to fit in somewhere and its going to be up to him to find out where he fits in best. Rudy too!!

------------------
    Without a good defense, there is no offense.

We don't need no stinking badges!!! We need some stinking WINS!!!

3. CaucasionSensation

RocketPimp,

Anderson, he's certainly going to get better with this team. The problem as I see it is that Anderson still struggles to develop beyond his Utah tag as a role player. He forces nothing, which is much different than Cuttino. Cat often leaves his brain in the locker room and is capable of playing purely off enthusiasm. Shandin is just the opposite.

His shot has improved 100% over the first of the year. If he didn't have to compete so hard in the backcourt for shots, who knows what his averages might really be.

4. Lainey

Lainey Member

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a lot of improvement in Mobley’s game from last year to this year. People are saying how much better his shot is. Just look at the numbers:

Games Min. FG % 3 pt % FT% Assists TO Steals
    Last Season 49 1,456 42.5% 35.8% 81.8% 2.5 1.6 .90
    This Season 33 1,066 38.4% 32.4% 84.1% 3.0 2.3 1.39

And, this is his natural position! He may not have as many games or minutes, but he has shot only 7 less shots this year (than he did all of last year!), so his FG percentage is pretty much based on the same number of shots.

I am a little concerned in the downward trend of his FG percentages, especially since he’s now playing his natural position – a shooting guard.

They only reason his points per game is higher (14.2 vs. 9.9 last year), is because he gets fouled a lot than last year and is making his FTs. But what happens when teams get smart and take the drive away, and make him settle for the jump shot?