1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac- "I don't read scouting reports"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

There is something that we must all take a deep breathe and accept.

T-Mac is simply not in Kobe's league

I watched the Laker game yesterday and too many times
    I said. . . T-mac would never do that
    even a few times. . t-mac Couldn't do that

Kobe brings it every game
    ON BOTH ENDS

unlike Dirk and Tmac it is not an either or situation
    [i remember all that . . tmac on the other guys best man tires him out stuff]
    Kobe does not have that problem
    Love him or Hate Him . . . .Kobe is miles ahead of the TMAcs and Dirks of the World
    when it comes to intensity and Focus
    that miles becomes tens of miles

Rocket River

2. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Naaaaaah, according to Yao Ming, the playbook/scouting report is 100+ pages thick......and it took him 4 hours to memorize it.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=2869908&postcount=1

3. Fuse

Fuse Member

If Yao is guilty of anything, it is over preparing and thinking too much about how to adjust to other players instead of making others adjust to him.

I admire and appreciate his efforts, but he needs to realize what he needs to do to take his game to the next level, and that is to be fearless and take it inside to punish people. His low post positioning has been pretty bad considering that he is playing single coverage most of the time.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

This bothers me less than it would with any other player on the team.

Tracy is one of those rare players with basketball instincts beyond what can be coached into him. How often have we seen him make a pass, make a drive, make a defensive play, and thought, "How the hell did he see that coming?" It's not that he better understands the plays, what's happening, it's just that his instincts are so good that he instinctively makes the right play. To make an analogy to another sport, he's like Vlad Guerrerro at the plate. (Vlad can hit anything. Why would he read anything about pitcher tendencies?) Tracy reads and reacts better than just about anyone. Reading scouting reports will help him slightly at best.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It will help him a LOT on defense as he will be able to recognize their plays as they run them and react to them more quickly.

At the very least it is unprofessional, and at the most....just plain stupid.

DD

6. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I've never cared what Tracy says off the court much, I only care about what he's done on the court. The team has played under expectations so far this series, I sure hope they are able to play like they are capable of. Then I won't have to worry about anything.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I never have liked the makeup of this team. Too many standstill guys, no playmakers. It would be nice for someone to get T-Mac a shot. It would be nice for someone to get Yao a shot other than t-mac. And with all the b****ing the rox are tied 2-2 and going home. On the road the 3-12 players having done nothing for either team. I'm kinda tired of all these scenerio on scouting reports and whatever. When you play a team 8 times how many different reports can be written? Make shots and thats the point.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think T-Mac plays as good of defense as Kobe. He shut Dirk down in '05, and had those two key blocks on Harpring earlier in the series. Plus Kobe is nowhere near as good at T-mac as making his supporting players better. Kobe does great sometimes, at the expense of his team.

Hayes playing with Kobe wouldn't be doing near the things that he is doing with T-Mac as teammate. Battier, Head, Alston, even Yao benefit greatly from a guy like T-mac far more than they would playing with Kobe.

I will agree that Kobe has more intensity which we need from T-mac, and he is a far better scorer.

9. Fuse

Fuse Member

I would actually prefer t-mac to be just a scorer now instead of a distributor.

He needs to apply constant pressure to the defense and keep them second guessing. Once they start throwing double/triple teams at him, we can then have him as a playmaker. But it shouldn't be the other way around.

T-mac is also looking like a step or two slower these days. Its worrying.

TBH. If we had Kobe in the team right now as opposed to T-mac, we wouldn't be in such a position.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's the problem with T-mac. When we need him to be a scorer more than anything else, he has a tough time doing that sometimes. That is where he could use Kobe's intensity.

But we have to take the good with the bad. If Kobe was on our team during the regular year we would likely not be in the playoffs at all, or definitely a lower seed.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Let's hear what the Rock has to say about Tmac and his professionalism.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f4kz6rHbhuE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f4kz6rHbhuE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

12. weslinder

GRENDAL and I were talking about this during the New Orleans game. T-Mac is best at what he's rarely used at. T-Mac's off-ball movement is incredible. When T-Mac is used in catch-and-shoot or two/three-dribble situations, he is unstoppable. If he comes off an off-ball screen for a catch-and-shoot, he almost never misses.

But two things keep the Rockets from being able to use him more that way. He's too good of a playmaker to ignore that part of his game, and there isn't another playmaker close to his ability on the team. (I'm a Rafer fan, I just understand his limitations.) If T-Mac were on the Suns, he'd be better at what Marion does than Marion is, plus he could be the playmaker when Nash was out. With the Rockets, he has to play a different role, and he's effective, but perhaps not most effective.

13. Fuse

Fuse Member

The problem is, all his teammates are dependant on his energy. Therefore, he needs to set the tone early by scoring, instead of distributing. He needs to set the momentum with his dominance and then let the others feed off of him.

I think part of the problem is that the players feel too much pressure to make their shots. As wierd as it sounds, if t-mac could score at will, then it takes the pressure off of them because they have confidence in T-mac's greatness to bring them back. But with both of our super stars having less and less impact, game by game, someone needs to step up to the plate and take the bat.

14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I think the way he says a lot of things are easily taken badly. His hubris and self confidence SEEM like someone who has accomplished more in the post season on many occasions.

What I think is different is that he seems to need to feel this way. I agree with whoever stated that he plays on emotion. Maybe that's not always good, and sometimes leads to what appears to be indifference in tough situations, or poor shot selection but look at the peaks! If this attitude is what it takes for him to hit his peaks, then I overlook it. For now. And honestly, does anyone think that his problems come from not reading a scouting report on the most predictable team in the NBA, after playing them 6 times in one season? I don't.

Time will tell. Right now, I think it's too early to call him out on this. He hasn't disappeared... just hasn't dominated... and look at the help he's gotten from the supporting cast (aside from YaoMoney).

Of course, it couldn't HURT to read one... I just don't know that it would help someone like him so much. Saying he isn't reading them doesn't sit well with the fans after two losses, but I can't take him to task on that, not yet.

15. yellaman

yellaman Member

It just comes down to this to me:

#1 sloan is outcoaching van gundy.

#2 the jazz are a deeper team.

#3 the jazz are a more talented team than the rockets...seriously, outside of tmac and yao, what do the rockets have?? The jazz have the advantage over us at pg, both fisher and williams would start over rafer. tmac is better than giricek at the 2. at the 3....in my opinion its advantage jazz kirilenko vs batter, but you have to factor harping in there too. at the 4 both boozer and millsap would start for the rockets, and yao is the best center in the game. to 3 to 2 jazz, and the jazz have a better coach and bench.

The better team is utah, but im hoping....hoping we can at least use our homecourt to an advantage! next round...i know we can beat golden state, they play no D and are not physical! utah is total opposite.

16. weslinder

Battier is much better than Kirilenko, even when Kirilenko isn't crying.

17. Primetime

Primetime Member

As if the sluggish play isn't diconcerting enough.........not that our play is directly related to his "studying of the playbook", but he is not defending well at all, showing obvious lack of intensity, and not doing what is needed to beat the Jazz.

Rise-up!! Play like a superstar. Be a Baron Davis, not a Drik Nowitzki. Be a freakin leader T-mac!!

Sorry, lots of pent up frustration.

18. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

If true T-Mac needs to rethink what he is doing.

I don't think this is a terrible thing, T-Mac is focused on what the Rockets need to do to score points he belives that if they (rockets) can execute than things will take care of itself.

Also this is the same guy who has his phone off, been talking about a championship since he got here I really don't think it's a huge deal.

Yao on the other hand does not need to be doing anything other than looking in the mirror and asking himself if he is willing to man up and take it to Okur instead of getting worked over.

Yao ypu are the better player, get tough.
    T-Mac, get your head straight you are the best player on the floor.

19. Man

Man Contributing Member

He's played with a few guys on the Jazz before as well. i rememberh e said he watched videos..and he's probably played against them numerous times.

But yeah, 2 bad games, let's hope this game, the rocks can play better. they will!

20. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

If T-Mac doesn't want to memorize that book, fine. But I know each team also hands out a truncated, 2-3 page one that has paragraph-long breakdowns of every player on the opposing teams. They're in the lockers before games.