1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spiers to manage the Stros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by gr8-1, Oct 17, 2001.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

well, at least he's a candidate, according to a reliable (yet sarcastic) poster at Hornfans. Link will be provided if necessary. I know that an anonymous internet guy isn't as reliable as a Dale Robertson or Feigan, but take it for what it's worth. He's an ex-ballplayer who may know a few Astros.

Would Spiers just be a cheap alternative for Drayton? Also, could either of the killer b's be traded?

This quote is very hard to believe though. Scene :bus after game 3 in Atlanta.

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Hmm . . . If this is true, I wonder -- is the problem so much with Dierker or with the players themselves . . .

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Lordy Lordy, what's up with that? I readily admit that I'm more of a casual Astros fan, so I won't pretend to know everything about baseball, but from what I've seen of Biggio, he's awesome (post-season aside). How, at least, is he any better or worse than Jeff Bagwell, or any other good player on the roster?

4. dc sports

dc sports Member

That's what I was thinking! Biggio's considered one of the best second basemen in the game, and is probably the most consistent position player on the team, for offense and defense. If he's slacking, I'd love to see him trying!

As far as arranging alcohol on the bus, assuming it's true, I wouldn't hold this against them -- no matter what happened, they had an excuse to celebrate a little. If they had won, they would have reason to celebrate. If they lost (which they obviously did) it would be the end of the season, and the last game as a team for many of the players.

A player motivation problem is obvious, and Bagwell at least, has made disparaging remarks about Dierker in the past. A team motivation problem, though, still reflects on the manager, since part of his job is to make the players want to play for him. If he's lost the respect of the team, it may be time for him to go.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't buy this crap at all.

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

On the origional topic -- I can't see Speirs as the manager. Assistant manager, yes -- he's proven his value and dedication to the team. But, the Astros are still too good a team to turn over to an untested manager who's never officially coached anyone. I'm sure there are a number of people with experience who would jump at the chance to manage the Astros.

Manager isn't the place where you would typically skimp. Especially when an expensive manager costs less than an avarage player.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I suspect Tony Pena will be managing the team next year, unless they get Felipe and Moises in a "package" deal. I hope a miracle occurs and Spiers is healthy enough to play next year. He is a key member of the team and has been arguably their best clutch hitter the past few years. He settles their 3rd base position as well as being a solid #2 hitter, but I suspect his back problem is career ending.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I want Felipe Alou. He just looks mean. Someone who you wouldn't want to tick off.

Pena knows his stuff, but I doubt he is going to be any different than Dierker.

9. Major

Major Member

I'm guessing that quote is crap too, but Biggio is possibly the WORST defensive 2nd basemen out there right now. He can't move sideways at all, and our pitching would look much better if we had a good defensive second baseman.

That said, offensively, he's still pretty good and when he's clicking, our team clicks offensively.

10. gr8-1

I've heard Pena is a jerk, as far as signing autographs for little kids.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I just want anyone (Pena, Alou....it doesn't matter) who will clean up Dierker's mess.

It's time to side with our manager. I've had enough of this BS from Bagwell and Biggio who think they are bigger than the team. You win you can be bigger than the team. If not, shut your hole.

You don't play well you sit. I don't care if you are Jeff Bagwell. I don't care if it hurts your feelings. You wanna play elsewhere...take a hike.

That's the kind of manager I want. We need some control. I don't know what kind of manager Terry Collins was but I heard Bagwell and Biggio influenced management to fire him. No more player input. Time to perform.

12. Timing

Timing Member

I wonder if the 'Stros have considered moving Biggio to third. His defense at second is pretty bad, especially his range and the way he turns double plays. I think he hits well enough to play third but I don't know if his pop gun arm is strong enough over there.

13. gr8-1

From what I saw, Collins seemed the polar opposite of Dierker. Apparently Baggio didn't like either one.

FWIW, I think Bagwell is a great player, but I think we overrate him to a certain extent. If we get a solid #1 or something similar for him to go, it wouldnt' break my heart. I don't see it happneing though.