1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lower back pain

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Iron McFist, Apr 25, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Iron McFist

Iron McFist Member

This has been bothering me for a couple days now... I have no idea if it's just tightness in the back or if it's structural (bulging disk or something?) but yar. I was experiencing a bit of soreness in my back over the weekend, and I guess I've aggravated it with a combination of tennis and crappy dorm beds. The pain generally occurs when I'm sitting down or lying down, and doesn't seem to strike when I'm standing up (in fact, I'm most pain-free when active, like when walking or playing sports). The one exception to this is when I look down (chin into chest) which causes a sharp shooting pain in the small of the back, regardless of my position. The problem area seems to be around belly-button height, but in the back.

Anyone know what could be wrong? I'm hoping this will pass just so I can sit in class without shooting pains going through my back, especially since it's midterm season.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sounds like its muscle.

sounds trite, but it does help...stretch.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

in particular. lay on ground and pull one knee up to your chest and hold for a good bit. switch legs. and then together.

4. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

nothing an asian massage parlor cant fix right up! ;)

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You may have pulled a muscle. If so, you'll just have to wait it out. Try to keep the muscle relaxed and not to work it.

Lie on your back on a flat surface for about 20 minutes. That always helps me. Along with Alieve and alcohol. And I ain't talkin' about rubbing alcohol...

6. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

Try strengthening your abs, crunches not situps. Alot of back pain is from an inbalance of muscles.

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Amen to that. I found that out this year, was in a conditioning class. Asked my teacher what I could do to help strengthen my back since it was killing me when running, he helped me setup a program, it hasnt stopped the pain completely but it has cut it down.

8. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

If you have any numbness or pain shooting down one of your legs, see a doctor.

9. dookiester

dookiester Member

i hear dr. patterson is good

10. Iron McFist

Iron McFist Member

Thanks everybody, I've tried stretching where I can, though some of them definitely hurt like hell. There's no numbness or anything, which I take it is a sign of something more serious. I still find it weird that I can play sports and walk upright fine (with a bit of slouching) but sitting and looking down means pain. If it persists or gets worse, I'll probably get it checked out.

11. rage

rage Member

The doctor can't help you. All he can do is giving you some muscle relaxing medication. The pain will come back soon after you are off the medication.

I don't know what kind of stretching you did. While there is some stretching of the back muscles that helps, it is actually the strengthening of the stomach and back muscles that does the trick. Read previous posts where people told you to exercise your stomach and back muscles.

12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Don't take advise from anyone, unless they specialize in treating your symptoms.

It's your back and without knowing exactly what happened, you could make it worse.

Personally, I would go see a chiropractor. They'll do x-rays and pop it, if it needs adjustment. It might save an extra trip.

I use Klein Chiropractic on Louetta.

13. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Stay far away from chiropractors. Use a heating pad and lay on a flat surface like the floor. If it gets worse see a real doctor.

15. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Stay far away from chiropractors!! they can do more harm than good by trying to adjust your back. This sounds a lot like a bulging/ herniated disk in which I have as well you dont have to feel numbness but you are already feeling the shooting pain sensation this is very common so if it persist go see your doctor and then see a neurologists instead of an orthepedic.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

damn..my leg goes numb every once in a while... time to see the doc

17. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

How long has this been going on? Do you have any medical problems? Have you had any recent illnesses?