1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to guard Boozer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeguo, Apr 24, 2007.

1. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Bread and butter. LOL. Let me borrow Carl Herrera's stats:

Give it up, Jonhty. You are seriously delusioned if you insist Boozer can do that consistently. How many games have you watched the Jazz played this season?

Let Boozer 'carry' the Utah Jazz with his mid-range jumpers, please.

2. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

Here is Boozer's Hot Zone chart again, since the original picture isn't showing.

[​IMG]

3. roxfan_bos

roxfan_bos Member

I am not concerning about defense on him, even though the output was not good in term of defending Boozer. Overall defense on Jazz was good enough in first 2 games, resulting two wins.

Remember Yao's task in defense end, is not only on his man, but also taking care paint and closing the driving lane. That means he could not stay too far from the paint, what the other teams always wanted. That is why he is on Boozer in stead of Okur.

BTW, do you want Yao stays on his man no matter what it takes all time? Answer is definitely not.

4. Barkley

Barkley Member

Boozer had just a big night. I remember his start he had knocked down all the jumpers, but then he missed a lot of jumpers (to 15 foot) when he was wide open. He is not a great shooter, but of course he is good. Yao is maybe too slow for him. Okur is having a bad time, so maybe we should put Yao on him, and Hayes on Boozer (he did a great job on Okur). Boozer is not great, but we should guard him hard to 15 foot, because he can make that shoots. Hopefully he wil get his "normal" game on Thursday. Game 2 was his carrer game - it sometimes happens

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

While the .509 he shots from the upper part of the paint qualifies as "red" and is pretty good, you still give him that shot if the choice is between giving him that shot and giving up a layup or an open 3 to either him or anyone else.

.509 looks good as a FG%, but that's a 2 pt jumper on which he would very rarely get fouled. So this TS% on that jumper is probably just about .509, too... which isn't all that great as a TS% (I believe the league-wide average TS% is around .525-.530 or so).

6. ericmark

ericmark Member

We will win the game 3 if we beat Boozer!
    I'll defend him physically at the game start, even a double team, to prevent him from getting his rhythm early like Game 2. When he collapses psychologically, he will miss shots consecutively. We can easily imagine the outcome since Boozer will shoot the most.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IIRC, he didn't get a lot of shots from the upper part of the paint on Monday. Most of his jumpers were baseline and elbow. We cannot afford to let him have jumpers from the paint because that's within his normal range. Unlike last game, Boozer normally isn't money from the wings and we should continue to let him have those shots.

8. ericmark

ericmark Member

If boozer scores another 41, we will lose the game.
    When he is on, I am afraid he will be on any positions.

9. mcm1150

mcm1150 Member

Our concern should be a plan to stop Boozer if the game is close in the final 5 minutes.

Other than that, Boozer shooting 15ft. jumpers is good for the Rockets for just the reasons already stated.

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

That hotzone thing is pretty cool. Interesting that the Jazz have more cold spots at home than they do overall or even on the road.

And Rockets have no cold zones on the road.

Edit: Oops, somehow it wasnt showing the proper season. Anyhoo, still an interesting read.

#90 BucMan55, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i have no problems with boozer shooting jumpers over Yao...let him do that. dont let other get off like okur, AK, and harpring...

12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

We held Boozer completely in check for at least a couple games this year (honestly I don't remember very well how he played before the last three games), so I don't think there's that much of a problem.

When a player is that talented, he's going to get hot sometimes, and there's not much you can do. Yao was actually doing a pretty decent job on a lot of those shots, and did what he could to make them difficult, but Boozer kept making them. If he does that, we just have to hope it's not enough. It is a little worrisome how good Boozer seems to be at draining those high-arching shots, though.

13. Rocket4Life662

Have one man front him, Chuck Hayes, than have a sneaky guy like Rafer or Battier block his shot from behind. I mean the guy pulls it all the way back over his head, RIP THAT ****!!!!!!!!!!!! Or you can just be like Cobra Kai and sweep the legs...

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

why do we need to change things. obviously jvg is saying that if we shut down okur and williams we win. if we shut down all three we win by 20 points.

you can't shut down everyone.

you can only win or lose.

15. ericmark

ericmark Member

Did Gundy really say that? :(