1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

it should be JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jason_long, Apr 24, 2007.

1. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Wow. Please be joking.

Anyways, I want JVG to win it as much as the next Rocket fan (well, some Rocket fans) but if someone came up to you at the beginning of the season and told you:

1. The Raptors with their current line-up will win 47 games and their division through Chris Bosh's injury...

or

2. The Rockets will win 52 games and home-court advantage with Yao missing 32 games and then not being himself for many after he came back and T-Mac missing 8...

Which one would you believe?

2. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Why would I be joking? JVG gets way too much undeserved credit for having his two superstars winning the games. Tmac carried the team while Yao was out and he gets the credit for that.

3. ysong00

ysong00 Member

should be 1) Mitchell 2) JVG... dunno why jvg wasn't in the top 3..

reason why mitchell got it, is because the raps basically had very similar talent last year as they do this year, yet the record changed dramatically (+20 wins).

utah did not have as quick of a turn around, and the reason why they sucked before was cause of injuries. so any improvement would simply be because of return of star players, hence less credit to the coaching. also, unlike raps, the players they got were always with utah, so they know the system, the players etc. for raptors, they had to be put together from scratch and by the coach.

as for JVG, the record turn around is similar to the jazz, star injuries. what shouldve put jvg ahead of sloan is that he had to deal with big injuries this year. however, i dont think that is enough to pass what mitchell did.

4. ShadyMcGrady

So who are the top 10 coaches better than JVG in this league? I'm intrigued to hear as to how they don't get "undeserved credit" when their superstars win games. I really want to hear your list.

Pat Riley has superstars win games for him, so does Mike D'Antoni, the only winning the Lakers and Phil Jackson do is if Kobe goes nuts, George Karl also has 2 superstars and a defensive player-of-the-year favorite win games for him.

And who was it that told T-Mac just to go out there and have fun and play his game? From what I can remember, it was after that point where T-Mac went on to tear it up. Oh yeah, it was JVG.

I didn't say Avery Johnson because he really makes that team damn good. He's an amazing coach. Same with Popovich.

So, who are the top 10 coaches in the league?

5. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

Shady, I hate to say it, but you are in the wrong....please stop addressing the trolls and they will go away.

6. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

I know it is sad but Jeff will get his first ring but Sam will not because his team will be done in 6th or even 5.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

their roster was SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded, colangelo should easily win gm of the year. the raptors improved because of him, not mitchell's brilliant coaching.

the raptors play in a weak conference against inferior competition. jvg had the rockets with the 4th best record in the west while missing a superstar for 31 games. i really don't see a good argument that he's not coach of the year.

and shady, stop replying to luffy, it's a waste of time.

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

are you okay?

9. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

I'll give you my top 15 coaches in the league. All the coaches of teams in the playoffs are ahead of JVG.

10. ikfit

ikfit Member

I really don't think Jeff should get it.
    He is not good at O, he is not good at developing and adapt young players into the system. I even think he is not as good as his brother.
    Maybe they all think if they coach a team like Rockets they can do better than jeff :D

11. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

...and they are...

12. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Go look it up if you don't know who the coaches of the other teams are besides the rockets coach. :confused:

13. ShadyMcGrady

Oh yeah I guess I forgot he was a JVG hater. Good call.

14. rennaisnz24

rennaisnz24 Member

What are you smokin, we are the best defensive team in the league. He led us throughout the season despite dealing with injuries and having to constantl adjust his lineup. He is without any doubt top 5. Who do you have on your list?

15. lilyken

lilyken Member

The only reason they give COY to Sam Mitchell is he is the only eastern coach in

the top 4 list. And they already gave the COY to the western coach last year.

16. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

What do you expect? Houston sports are always overlooked. :mad:

17. ironman2005

ironman2005 Member

we shall see the COY go fishing next week

18. liujun0768

liujun0768 Member

JVG desrves that award more than anybody!
    But it doesnt matter, JVG will use the championship to prove himself :mad:

19. Jd1

Jd1 Member

FIRE JVG. :mad:

20. ysong00

ysong00 Member

i disagree. we got a lot of different talent, but really, the overall level is the same. bosh had very similar numbers. mike james scored more at pg last year then ford does this year. charlie v scored more last year than bargnani did this year. mo pete scored more last year than anthony parker did this year.

what we have here in toronto this year is much more team oriented basketball. all of our players are moving the ball much more (sometimes too much). so from the perspective of someone who sees all of their games, i would have to say mitchell deserves a lot of credit.

even if it is better talent, making a whole new roster work must have been very tough. its not like they were all stars who can just wing it with superstar talent.

trust me, i would LOVE for jvg to win coach of the year, but i think he was definitely beat out with sam this year. the main thing JVG had going for him was the fact that we stayed in contention during yao mings abscence. so you can use the same argument you had against sam, here against jeff. it could have just been tmac stepping it up and dikembe finding the fountain of youth, and really nothing to do with the coach. i dont believe thats true, but you see my point right?

So lets just say all of that was because of JVG's great coaching. And then lets say all of Toronto's turn around was because of Sam Mitchell's great coaching. If this is the case, Sam wins for sure. Mainly because you definitely cannot put Houstons turn around from last season on the coach, due to the injuries to tmac and yao last year.

However, I do beleive that Colangelo deserves exec of the year more than sam deserves coach of the year.