1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Referee Joey Crawford receives INDEFINITE suspension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ClutchCityReturns, Apr 17, 2007.

1. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Dude, you're hilarious. Keep 'em comin' :)

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

When I first heard this story, I thought about how Hakeem once thought a ref was out to get him, and I think it was Joey Crawford. I could be wrong though, might have been another ref.

3. JD2010

JD2010 Member

i'd rather have joey crawford as a referee than ZACK ZARBA!

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

You're misinterpreting the rule. It's a "don't make a scene" rule aimed at temper tantrums, going berserk on the refs, and wasting game time with ranting and raving. Your free to complain, you just have to be a big boy about it. Again - you ARE allowed to argue a call.

ex.
    Throwing your headband or anything else around the court --> tech
    Throwing your hands in the air and sprinting halfway down the court wailing in shock over the bad call ---> Tech
    Swinging your arm wildly as you make faces and curse out the ref --> tech
    Being a whiny player all game --> not a tech

Duncan usually doesn't make a scene, show up the ref, or otherwise act like a child in need of timeout. He's not that far off though, to be fair. He's just whiny by nature - but this rule is focused on players that have fits on the court.

The guy given the most free passes with this rule is Kobe Bryant. Not even close.

Evan

5. armyman789

armyman789 Member

wrong. id rather have DIRK NOWITZKI reffing us than that b*stard crawford. :mad:

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

No doubt, that took some SERIOUS sack on the NBA part. Finally some justice! :D

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Un-freakin-believable.

Dictator Stern,
    This is what happens when you over-react and someone decides it's not worth it. You lose one of the best officials in the game. Take note, because this won't be the last incident. You're going to overreact to a shoving match and a superstar is going to decide he'd rather play for $3MM in Europe than $10MM in the US. You're going to fine a coach insane amounts for an honest comment, and he's going to quit on the spot. Your Napolean complex is tired. Get over yourself.

Sincerely,

An NBA Fan

8. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Well, that's only after they sell their first-class tickets and forget to report it on their income tax returns. ;)

9. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

That f*cker had enough chances. He knew his job was on the line. Good job, Stern.

10. sbyang

sbyang Member

Ok, an NBA ref may quit and decide to do something else, but an established because player giving up half his salary to go play ball in a brand new culture? Wow, what exactly would Stern have done to this guy to warrant such a reaction?

11. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Why is there even a 5 page argument on this? Crawford and his attention/drama w**** ass deserved all that he got. I hope he never refs in the NBA again. This is a good call by Stern

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Suspending him for half a season for a shoving match in the course of a game. If that happens to the wrong player, one of them is going to leave. There's one person here who thinks he's bigger than the game, and it's not Crawford or Duncan.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you still here mavs fan

I know timmy laughed on the bench.. did he argue or touch your boy?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So he turned in his first class tickets and then downgraded to coach.......the only thing he did wrong was not report that as income.

I think it was smart on their part.

DD

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

In what other team sport or league do you know the names of the referees? NBA refs are a joke.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Baseball?

Bruece Froeming was honored last night in Houston.

DD

17. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

If Im not mistaken, players curse at refs all of the time and don't get fined.

18. AXG

AXG Member

I'm no fan of Duncan or anything but his ejection from that game was unwaranted. Crawford was quick to call the second technical without even knowing what was happening on the bench. As I recall, he has always been quick to call technicals on people for stupid things.

19. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I'm not sure this happens if Crawford doesn't yell: "Do you want to fight?," even given the context of a nationally televised game on ABC. In some cases, a ref could dispute having said it; but not when it's said in front of an entire bench, against a team held (rightly or not) as symbolic of organizational excellence, and directed against a player of Tim Duncan's character. Not that Crawford would deny it or play a semantics game. The harshness of the penalty? I'm not so sure; but I definitely oppose the idea of only suspending him from officiating Spurs games.

As a fan, I'm delighted. The NBA's intimate setting creates the same illusion of "knowing" the refs as with the players; and seeing that English Bulldog faced b*stard of a human being chained and humilated is a pleasure long sought, always thought impossible, and incredibly now realized. That being said, I agree with the majority of basketball writers who see this as pure retribution on the justice scale. However given Crawford's comments, maybe rehabilitation is out of the question.

20. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

OK...some caller on 610 this afternoon said he heard on PTI that David Stern said Joey Crawford could be done for good.

Then there's a Marc Stein blog on ESPN.com saying the same thing (insider -- anyone have access?).