1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Year Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Baqui99, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Another Central Division title. That's four out of the last five years. We worked damn hard for that title, and we'll be back next year to defend it. As long as we keep winning these division titles, Bagwell and Biggio will be happy. After all, heros are made in the regular season, not the postseason.

As long as the Braves keep sending Glavine, Maddux, and Smoltz out there they will continue to beat up on us. We simply cannot compete with the awesome power of Paul Bako and the ageless Julio Franco. Marcus Giles is the next Roberto Alomar, and Brian Jordan is a Barry Bonds clone.

Awesome year Astros. Keep up the good work. Make Houston proud and keep winning those division titles. After all, that's all you're good for anyways. Out.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Dont forget how Berkman is the new Bagwell of the playoffs.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Good year....work so hard to make the postseason and watch it all flow down the drain again :rolleyes: .

I look forward to the toilet bowl treatment again next year :eek: .

I must support and watch our team but...man do I hate baseball right now!

Surf

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

For some bizarre reason the Houston Astros are the Miami Heat of the baseball playoffs. I can't figure out how a team with that kind of talent hasn't at least had ONE run to the LCS! Well, at least Bagwell and Biggio aren't always claiming to be the better team after a playoff loss.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Paul Bako 3, Astros 2. :mad:

6. pooh222

pooh222 Member

While Smoltz was blowing the Asstros away in the 9th, they put the camara on Bagwell, and for a split second, it looked like he was laughing at something. Nothing can be funny about getting their butts kicked again in the playoffs. This series has to be the worst playoff series to date. It was right their for the Asstros, the playoffs were wide open this year and they would have had homefield advantage through out. But he Asstros fell on their asses yet again.

7. Baqui99

Cmon, are any of ya'll really surprised by the outcome of this year's playoffs. They don't call em the "Disastros" for nothing.

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

You know, the fact that a team that threw out there Dave Mlicki, Ron Villone and any 20-yr old who could get the ball over the plate as our pitching staff won a division title is ****ing amazing.

#8 Puedlfor, Oct 12, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2001
  9. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Baqui99 -- even though we got rolled in the playoffs, all in all, this was a GREAT season. If, at the beginning of the year, you had said "the Astros will win the division", most people would say you were crazy. The simple fact is that we were not supposed to win the division, but we did through an exceptional pitching staff, and wonderful player management. Just think of our pitching staff next year:

Reynolds
    Oswalt
    Miller
    Hernandez
    Mlicki -- I feel he deserves a starting spot, after his incredible pitching through the 2nd half.

We have issues to address, but this team will just get better and better. With Adam Everett coming up, and the bullpen staying strong, we will be favored to win the division.

It's too bad we didn't win it all this year. I really felt this was our season, but it didn't work out that way. Dierker has done a phenomenal job in the regular season, and Gerry Hunsicker deserves credit for fielding an exceptional minor league system with great scouting and wonderful player development.

All in all, this is a satisfying season. If we just look at the last 2 weeks, we'd be very disappointed. But think of how much fun this season really was. I am SO disappointed it has to end -- I think Houston baseball really came into its own this year. Everybody was talking about the games, the stadiums were filled, the atmosphere in Houston was so much fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the 2001 season more than any other to this point, and I hope more of the same will come along next year.

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

This is coming out of left field (no pun intended), but what if McLane breaks open the bank and signs Park and or Bonds? You know that the season tickets will be sold out, and BondsBagwell/Berkman/Hidalgo would be an awesome line up.

Eh, that'll never happen.

Or, this scenario may be more likely, but why doesn't the league start the season a month earlier? The Stros are a great team april-september, they just quit in October. Why do they quit? Do they not get paid in October?

11. Baqui99

We just can't seem to figure out the Braves' pitching staff. It brings out the worst in the Astros' hitting. Maybe if we played Arizona things would have been different....naw, we suck. :)

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the braves' pitching staff?? come on!! even the padres made us look silly. Does anybody else remember how we made Sterling Hitchcock look like Cy Young?

John Burkett would probably tell you he didn't have his best stuff yesterday. As Milo kept saying over and over again, "it's not like he's not giving them anything to hit!" he left breaking balls over the plate left and right...this team just didn't hit...as they do throughout the playoffs. Keep in mind, the Braves were fooled by our pitching staff too in games 1 and 2..they still found ways to win, mostly keying off our mistakes.

I'd love to see this through rose-colored glasses...but I've been an Astro fan for about 27 years now...and I just can't anymore. Winning division titles isn't enough....to say, we did so sucky in 2000 and rebounded in 2001 is a bit of a farce too. They played sucky in 2000 by playing BELOW expectations....they clearly had a better lineup than a 90 loss team. So when they come back the next year and play as they should (clearly their lineup was better top to bottom than the Braves was), let's not throw a parade for a division championship. Division championships are getting a little boring to this ticket-buying fan. Show me something...ANYTHING..in the playoffs. Show me something when your season hangs in the balance.

Call it heart...call it choking...call it whatever. This team is freaking cursed. Red Sox fans complain....hey, I don't want to hear it!!! At least they get to the World Series!! At least they win one playoff series!!!