1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Math problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well, looking at this I was thinking 150 but isn't it also true that he is only 50 feet from the train?

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

No he is 50 feet from the end of the bridge. The train is 150 feet from the bridge. So they are 200 feet aprt if you will.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Ah, I see.

4. Jimes

Jimes Member

Yes I think the confusing issue is that the problem says he "walks" toward the train and "runs" away from the train. Unless those are in some known ratio, you can't really solve this.

Well, I guess if you call the ratio between running and walking speed r, then you could solve it with the answer being (150 * r) / (2 - r). Which is kinda an interesting result since if r = 2, then the answer is undefined since the man would reach the front of the bridge at the same time he reaches the end so the train would have to be in both places at the same time. :eek:

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Was this a take-home exam??

It's a CFO position. They're not looking for math geeks.

Correct answer, is...if walking towards the train gets you creamed. RUN! So far ParyPizza gets the job!

6. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

No..... The original problem does not state that.

The distance between the train and the bridge was not listed. Either that's an unknown element in the equation, or Fatty forgot to indicate it.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

uh, it didn't state it, because that's the answer. 150 is the answer to the question "How far away is the train?" that pirc1 and newplayer proved (provided the real question used the same speed for the man; otherwise, it's undoable as a single variable equation).

8. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Yeah - I just read newplayer's answer and it's correct.

The train is 150 feet away.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why would the person who wrote it use walks/runs interchangibly

10. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

You are assuming that the man would still walk/run at the same speed even if he see the train head towards to nail him?

11. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

200 feet. including the 50 feet he already walked. but i guess it would 150 since its the distance from the beginning of the bridge to the train, not from where the dude starts walking.