1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

sinuses draining.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac640, Apr 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

alright, i'm convinced i got something in the middle of nowhere, texas (sealy).

antihistamines (claritin, zyrtec) nope.

mucinex (2 tablets)...nope

what the hell else is there to try?

#1 TMac640, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Good ole' fashioned sudafed. And not the "new forumla" crap that studies have shown don't even affect anything. You have to ask for it behind the counter.

Classic, yet works.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's better to start using it before allergy season starts, but Flonase nasal spray works pretty well. Prevents the allergens from entering your body through the sinus passages. (somehow!) They have a generic out, now.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Sudafed works for me.....especially when I wash it down with scotch! :D

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Funny you mention this...There is about 4 of 14 people at work that just started getting either a fever, sinus crap and sore throat...Its just a matter of time before it spreads...

I'll just save everyone the trouble and call in sick... ;)

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I give in to the allergy gods. Uncle or something, just leave me alone.

Felt achy all week, slight fever, couldn't sleep worth a $hit...and this morning I woke up with my tonsils three times the normal size which makes it very hard to swallow even ice cream.

This is being the suck.

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

wasabi shooters. i remember steve-o did them and he puked out nuthin but snot. I bet that cleans you out pretty good.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I got the samething yesterday. My nose was flowin like a river. My head hurt. I took some sudafed 24 you can only get it from behind the counter. But i feel about 85% now. Much better than yesterday.

9. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Go see an allergist and start getting shots.

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Sinus pain is the worst. I'm never very runny, but I take the equate severe sinus pain and i feel wonderful afterwards.

11. Ming Dynasty

Ming Dynasty Member

I posted my sinus/allergy regimen awhile back in case it is searchable... but I will toss in additionally that if you like tex-mex, try eating something spicy, salsa or whatever. Helps open you up, if only temporarily.

The key is keeping the mucus out so infection doesn't begin though. Maintenance for prevention. Mucinex usually helps, as does Sudafed. Mix in a little Tylenol for pain and get plenty of rest. See a doctor for a rX nasal spray to fight any seasonal allergies.

12. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

After years of trying to find good cold medication, I'm starting to lose faith that any exist. I'm starting to believe in older remedies. i find that when I diligiently follow the steps below, I recover from a cold MUCH faster.

• Most importantly: REST. Stay in bed all ... day... long... the more you do this, the faster you'll get over it.
    • Get vitamins. Take an Airborne supplement vitamin thingy.
    • Eat well. Have hot chicken soup for lunch. Make sure you don't skip any meals and don't eat junk food. Eat vegetables and protein.
    • If the weather supports it, open the windows and doors to the house and get some fresh air.
    • Take a long, hot shower. While in the shower, clear out your sinuses.
    • Get a Vick's vapor inhaler from the drug store and inhale through it when you can't breathe (it's not a nose spray.. it's like smelling salts)
    • Keep a roll of toilet paper in bed with you to blow your nose. Throw away all your tissues into a plastic bag.
    • Use Purell to sanitize everything you touch.
    • Brush your teeth and run your toothbrush through the dishwasher.

13. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Excellent advice.

Also, some simple chlortab (the 4 hour version) will stop the runny nose during the day... and benadryl (4 to 6 hour) will dry it up for the night time.

Sometimes the older, shorter effectiveness--timewise--drugs still work best... if you need them at all after the wangdoodle list.

There has been a recent outbreak of "fifth disease" up here in the DFW... one of my kids got it.. sounds like it could be everywhere around the state.. just hope you don't get the rash.... usually only occurs in kids.

14. TMac640

where are these chinese herbs at for sinus troubles, and do they solve world hunger?

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This crap is still kicking my butt...I always knew Dallas sucked, but this proves it...Allergies suck and Dallas is #2 of worst allergy cities...

Dallas Sux

16. TMac640

yeah man, no joke lol.

i've had whatever i've had since last thursday.

although, today was the first day that i really felt any significant amount better.

17. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Thanks a lot, guys. Now I'm sick.

Mods, please lock this thread. It's contagious! ;)