1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Phoenix play hard on Monday night?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaDakota, Apr 15, 2007.

1. YaoYoYao

YaoYoYao Member

Rox needs the win to get the monkey off the back, so to speak!

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Phx has been playing really hard lately to keep the Spurs at bay. Finally they are at bay.

MDA would be an idiot to play Nash 1 minute against a clawing/borderline desperate Rocket team at their place. Every other veteran in form should also play limited--Marion, Amare, Bell, Diaw. The Rockets are a tough defensive team--not a fun tune up when you most need rest and to stay healthy.

For sure see more than normal time for Barbosa (young and still gaining confidence) & Jones (end rotation player, but in the roation nonetheless).

Maybe even Banks, Pike, Burk & Rose for 10+ minutes.

3. Crazytrade

Crazytrade Member

We only need to know Rockets will play hard.

4. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Let's say the Rockets beat Phoenix tomorrow. Do you think the Rockets will rest T-mac and Yao for the last regular season game against the Jazz?

5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Well, you just proved my point. Since our starters already know each other, might as well have our bench get to know them on the court better. Just 'knowing' about what they do won't help. Playing against them will

6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

They won't even fly to Utah

7. YAO&MAC

YAO&MAC Member

If Rox win tomorrow, I dont think you will see T-Mac or Yao on the court in Jazz game. To make sure they both have full energy in the playoff, they will probably sit back and enjoy the show; joking around, then do the analysis. Like what Mav. did in the last few games. :D

8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i highly doubt D'antoni will rest his starters. he already talked about the last game of the season vs. the clippers how it might mean something to them, but if no one is hurt, hes going to treat it like a regular game. he said he feels he has an obligation to do so. so, dont expect an easy victory tomorrow. rockets are just going to have to step up and TAKE IT from the team we match up the worst against if we really want that home court.

9. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Iron sharpens iron. I hope they bring it ... :mad:

10. RedRaiderRocket

Here is the answer from an Arizona newspaper.
    http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0416suns0416.html

Business as usual
    Paul Coro
    The Arizona Republic
    Apr. 16, 2007 12:00 AM

HOUSTON - The Suns did not practice Sunday and got a lot accomplished.

The Suns clinched the West's No. 2 seed as they sat in a Houston sports bar Sunday afternoon watching Dallas beat San Antonio.

That win gives Phoenix home-court advantage in any playoff series except a conference final with Dallas. That includes an expected second-round series with the Spurs, who are 4-0 at home against the Suns the past two seasons. advertisement

The Suns close the season with nothing on the line at Houston tonight and at home Tuesday against the Los Angeles Clippers. But after finding playoff momentum with a five-game winning streak, the Suns will not sit anyone out.

"I don't think it's going to change our mind-set or our approach in the last two games," coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We just started playing well. No use in getting away from that."

He said the eight-man rotation would play "normal minutes" unless the team got significantly behind. Houston can clinch home-court advantage in a first-round series against Utah with a win tonight.

"We're not going to play like the playoffs before the playoffs anyway," Suns forward Boris Diaw said. "Everything's different in the playoffs. We're just getting ready for it."

Beyond maintaining their rhythm, the Suns' motivation also is to set a franchise record for victories and an NBA mark for largest division lead. At 61-19, Phoenix could break the 62-win club record set in 1993 and 2005. The Suns have a 20 1/2-game Pacific Division lead on the Los Angeles Lakers, who won the division by a league-record 22 games in 1986.

Such icing would continue the good vibe emanating from an 8-1 stretch. Four of the wins have come by at least 17 points.

"That's encouraging because that's what you like to be doing going into the playoffs," Suns guard Raja Bell said. "We might have been pressing to find it as a team. As of late, we've been having a good time, sharing the ball and it's clicking for us."

Phoenix has held opponents to fewer than 100 points five times in six games for the first time since the end of a 15-game winning streak in December.

"It's exciting for us to pick it up," guard Steve Nash said. "Our energy is more consistent. Whether we're more disciplined or not, energy makes up for a lot of that."

Nobody is building toward the playoff stage like Nash, who has averaged 21.9 points and 10.7 assists in the past two postseasons. Nash has 32 assists with one turnover in the past two games. His 18 assists without a turnover Saturday were the most since Andre Miller did it with 19 assists on Feb. 13, 2002.

The Suns will finish the season having come closer than any team in history to shooting 50 percent from the field (49.4), 80 percent from the free-throw line (80.7) and 40 percent from three-point range (40.1). Their 49.4 percent shooting is still the best in the NBA since the 1996-97 Utah team shot 50.4 percent.

Rockets have a game on their hands. If we want to clinch homecourt they are not going to give us any back passes.

11. YAO&MAC

YAO&MAC Member

Like I said, the Suns have nth to fight for now...Hopefully they will let their all starters take a rest and playing crap tonight. :D

12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

did you even read the article ?

13. YAO&MAC

YAO&MAC Member

Opps...my bad... Maybe I just summerized from ''The Suns did not practice Sunday....'' :rolleyes:

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Impressive.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If D'Antonio is that dumb the Rockets need to get REALLY REALLY physical with Nash and Amare......

Make him think twice about leaving them on the floor.

I know they are saying they will play hard, but I just don't believe it.....

Remember when the Rockets were without Yao and Tmac and the team almost beat the Suns? The Suns were not really motivated that game, and I think the same thing will happen tonight.

This is the Rockets chance to show they HAVE that killer instinct......they can not come out knowing that they can still beat Utah in the season finale.....

Carpe Diem !

DD

PS....How can an upbeat thread about what people think the Suns will do only get 2 stars? Wow !

16. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Suns would be simply STUPID to give their stars any minutes.

If Nash sets foot on the floor, we should break his leg just to teach Dantoni a lesson.

17. jrd

jrd Member

Use Deke's elbow. They will be scared, and pull all their starters out.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Before I read the article I voted that the Suns would "bring it." I don't expect them to lay down. The Rockets are going to have to come out on fire to get the Suns off the court in the fourth. And, worst case scenario, the reserves beat our starters. That would really be a downer.

19. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Tonight we lose to Phoenix and Utah loses to Portland. Rox secure HCA.

Well, Phoenix might play the starters, but they will not play 100%. Rockets have a good chance of getting an early 15-20 point lead and then D'antoni plays the bench as stated in the article.

And then Barbosa kills us again with 38 points.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It makes no sense for the Suns to play hard or even for Nash to see the court.

He has had shoulder issues, and Amare's knees could use a rest.

D'Antonio would be making a massive mistake putting them on the floor for big minutes and risking injury.

I mean....that would be putting their chance at the championship in jeapordy.

DD