1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Online Strategy Game] Oil Empires

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by m_cable, Apr 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well I'm looking at your profile and you've started out fine. You've bought the Pumping Unit, Storage Tanks, Distribution Center. Just click on them and make sure that:

1. Your pumping units are connecting to your storage tanks

2. Your storage tanks are connecting to your distribution center

After you've got that set up, then check your distribution center at :20 and :50 minutes. That's when your centers sell the oil. Click on the "collect cash" button to take the money out and you can spend it on upgrading or building new facilities.

That's the basic gist. Buy stuff to make money, to buy more stuff to make more money, to buy stuff to blow things up. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Good Luck.

2. midnight

midnight Member

3. m_cable

Okay, I checked out everyone's buildings in our Cartel. Looks like everyone has built the initial oil chain. Here's some tips on the next step if you need it:

• Click on your headquarters to check how much longer you're protected under the "cease-fire". Newbies get protected from attacks at the beginning. I'd hold off on spending any money on an outpost until about 5-6 hours before your ceasefire ends. Then you can start to put up your outpost and crank out some militia to defend your buildings.

• Right now there's a glitch in the gameplay where the Headquarters doesn't sell oil correctly. It sells off at 1bbl at a time, BUT it a lot more than it's supposed to be. So you'll want to send 100bbl to your headquarters one time and just let it slowly collect cash for you. It's a bonus $2000 every collection which really helps out in the early game.

• Next you want to build until you have these buildings/upgrades:

2 Level-Two Distributions Centers
      4 Level-Two Oil Pumps
      2 Level-One Storage Tanks

That'll give you a steady income stream for the next section.

• Now you'll want to start buying refineries. After crunching the numbers, it's apparent that refineries are the biggest money makers in the opening section of this game. Here's how they work. First off you'll want to upgrade one of your level-one Storage Tanks to level-2. Then you build a refinery and connect it to your level-2 storage tank. Pick Kerosene since that's the first level of refinement.

You should be pulling in 40,000 from selling Kerosene. That's nice, but each refinement makes exponentially more money, so you'll want to get to the next step as soon as possible. When you build your second refinery, set it to heating oil, and connect it to the same level-2 storage tank that the other refinery is linked to.

But you have to go to the storage tank and tell it to NOT send Kerosene to the Distribution center. This allows the oil to go to the second refinery. It means skipping an oil delivery for one turn, but it'll make up for it by sending a much
      more valuable oil the next round.

Continue to do this with each refinery level, until you have four refineries connect to that level-2 storage tank. And remember to only send the highest level of refined oil to the distribution center. Otherwise just wait and let it go to the next refinery.

• Once you've got your refineries set up, then you'll be out of the opening portion of the game. Which is where I'm at right now. Good luck.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm in ~ Cheetah @ X: 1290 Y: 1200

5. Panda Byte

Panda Byte Contributing Member

pandabyte in the southwest quadrant

6. m_cable

I've sent out invites to everyone that wanted one. There's a few people that haven't accepted yet, so check your messages if you haven't already.

Okay, I've crunched a few more numbers and in case anyone is debating on how to increase oil production between New Oil Pumps vs Upgrading Oil Pumps vs Oil Riggs. Here's the breakdown:

- Upgrading to Level-2 Oil Pumps is the best value. So go up to level-2 as soon as you have the money.

- New Oil Pumps are really good buys up until your 5th unit.

- You can upgrade Oil Pumps to max levels and it's a cost effective buy (the downside is that it takes progressively longer to upgrade each subsequent level, so you'll have to take note of that).

- The first two Oil riggs are pretty decent value, after that, not so much. And don't upgrade them. It's not worth it at all.

So here's my suggestion for how to order your oil production:

1. Upgrade to level two on your oil pumps as soon as you can.
    2. Buy New oil pumps up until you have 5 of them.
    3. Go for two Oil riggs next.
    4. Then you can upgrade your oil pumps to as high as you want.
    5. While waiting for your some of your high level upgrades, you can buy another New Oil pump or two. It's expensive, but it'll get built right away, and you can give it the cheaper, shorter upgrades to even things out.

Now this is just on the oil production side of things. You'll want to continue to upgrade your Storage Tanks and Distribution Centers to handle all the incoming oil. And once your cease-fire wears off, you got to build some military units. Start with an Outpost and Militia. Then go for Military Base and Guard Dogs. And you'll also want to upgrade your outpost to get Rebels, because apparently that is one of the best defensive units.

Good luck.

7. brozef

brozef Member

I'm MadRapper at 1210, 1330 in southwest quadrant. Send me an invite?

8. conquistador#11

In this game,can we go into foreign countries and takeover their resources ? =/

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm in, Oh Oil Overlord. Username: Xerobull

OPEC, feel the fury of CFNET!

10. m_cable

Well we're all in the same country (the premise of the game is loosely based on Iraq), but yeah we can build military units and steal from other players.

11. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Let's attack Utah!

Oh, wait... wrong game...

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Just signed up as DarkHorse.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Uprising
    X1050 Y1340

14. famicom

famicom Member

famicom, invite thanks!

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It should be noted that you have to accept the cartel invitation from the Messages>Player screen before you're in.

16. m_cable

Thanks. I wasn't sure how it worked on the receivers end, whether it would just pop up or if you had to go somewhere.

Invites sent to everyone that wanted one, so check your messages.

17. m_cable

Heads up. Easy money here:

http://oilempires.itch.com/showTarget.cfm?x=1280&y=1028&key=504419

and

http://oilempires.itch.com/showTarget.cfm?x=1041&y=1261&key=430955

and

http://oilempires.itch.com/showTarget.cfm?x=1051&y=1271&key=970721

Anyone with militia, and a refinery you can steal from these guys. They set up an oil chain and it's building money, but they haven't collected it at all. Looks like they've quit the game.

Click on attack from and mark the "steal" radio button. Use your militia because it's cheap and they have a decent max carry. BUT MAKE SURE TO CALCULATE HOW MUCH OIL it'll take to attack. You can steal $1000 per militia, and kerosene is valued at $150 per bbl, so calculate if it's worth the cost.

You can track the cartel combat on this page so you know how much has been taken already (you probably have to be logged in at the time to view it):

http://oilempires.itch.com/attackListingCartel.cfm?type=out

and here's how much money they had to start with:

http://oilempires.itch.com/attackViewer.cfm?attackID=147251&key=4039559

http://oilempires.itch.com/attackViewer.cfm?attackID=147180&key=6239287

After you've stolen, the money shows up at your headquarters to collect.

P.S. You can only attack a particular building 3 times in a 24 hour period. So might as well spread it around to your cartel mates. And be on the lookout for other guys that have quit the game, but set up an oil chain. If they haven't built anything in a couple days, and they've got hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars in their distribution centers, then they're probably done with the game. The oil empires moderator estimated that about 50% of guys end up quitting the game, so that money just sitting there.

So make a few spies, and poke around at likely abandoned accounts.

#37 m_cable, Apr 16, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  18. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I need an invite too...... ToyCen428

19. m_cable

20. m_cable

Okay, I've updated my above post with a new target to steal from that's actually close enough to most of you guys. The other ones I sent are near me, but probably too far for you. Here's the target:

http://oilempires.itch.com/showTarget.cfm?x=1280&y=1028&key=504419

He's got 1.4 million dollars just sitting there collecting dust:

http://oilempires.itch.com/attackViewer.cfm?attackID=147779&key=3851178

Good luck.

Edit:

Here's another HUGE target with a ton of money just sitting there:

http://oilempires.itch.com/showTarget.cfm?x=1271&y=1060&key=142473

#40 m_cable, Apr 16, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2007