1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Expectations and Instant Gratification

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It's interesting to read expectations for the team at different times in the year. At the beginning of the year, many fans were overreaching in their predictions and, as fans tend to do, underestimating the talent of other teams.

This is a pretty common occurrance. But, what has really surprised me are the expectations as the season has progressed. The need for instant gratification overtakes so many that they forget how incredibly impressive this season has actually been.

The Rockets have won 50 games for only the 7th time in franchise history. They are probably going to win 50+ games this season. They are the best defensive team in the league and the 4th best in point differential, a stat that many will tell you is an excellent indication of how good a team really is.

Consider a few things that stood in their way...

• They play in the most difficult division in basketball in the toughest conference. Two teams in their DIVISION are two of the best in basketball.

• They play with power forwards and point guards that would be backups on virtually any other team in the NBA.

• Their bench depth is below average.

• Bonzi Wells was essentially a non-factor for the season.

• Kirk Snyder, an opening day starter, was lost for 20+ games.

• McGrady and Yao have missed 40+ games combined.

Despite all that, they are arguably the 4th best team in the NBA, poised to have home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs and won 50 games in the toughest division in basketball.

That is a remarkable accomplishment and something I think we overlook too quickly because we are so fixated on what we perceive as problems - real or otherwise.

2. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I agree. Regardless of how the playoffs play out, I am grateful for a good season from the rockets.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

^ Jeff laying out the "sign JVG to an extension" campaign. :D

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. ysong00

ysong00 Member

wow jvg has a lot of hair there! he should be resigned.. no good reason why he shouldn't, and i dont see any coach on the market that is better.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

A great year that ends in playoff defeat is still immeasurably better than a lottery season, despite that joy you get from the potential of a high draft choice.

That said, the season isn't over yet, and my expectations remain very high...championship or bust! :D

7. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

• They play with power forwards and point guards that would be backups on virtually any other team in the NBA.

I agree with what you're saying except I think Alston is not a back-up, but a starter on almost every team

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree the team has accomplished some things. However they won 50+ games 2 years ago and still lost in the first round.

Yes, 50 games is pretty good.....60 is contender !

:D

This team with all it's faults could be competing for the number 2 or 3 seed if it did not take weaker opponents so lightly and had a tougher mentality.

I think that while at the end of the day, I will look back at the season as a step forward IF they make it past the first round. Right now, I am looking at the team and thinking they don't really have enough to compete, and wish they would have taken some time to develop players that MIGHT be a part of that equation.

However, if they get past the first round, I will consider this a good season....but not great !

:D

Things I am happy about this season.

1. Yao's progress - the big guy continues to get better and better
    2. Tmac becoming more of a passer - this will help everyone.
    3. Battier - Adding him alone made this team much better.
    4. Finishing 4th in a tough western conference is pretty good.

So.....happy.....sure.....content....no.

DD

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Buzz, please tell us the teams you would start Alston on versus what those teams currently have at PG.

Thanks

10. chiorsung

chiorsung Member

I donot know about that. I will can say that lots of backup PGs are better than rafer. Like: Flip murray,steve blake, devin harris,...........

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

So, if at the beginning of the season someone told you Yao and TMac would miss 40+ games, Bonzi would be a non-factor and Dallas & San Antonio would have two of the best records in basketball, you woulve HONESTLY believed that the Rockets could compete for a 2 or 3 seed?

There is not a chance in hell that you would have predicted they win 50+ games let alone compete for one of the top 2 or 3 seeds in the Western Conference.

12. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

How does 60 wins automatically = contender? The Rockets have never won 60 games...but we still got a couple of rings.

13. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

This sentiment always cracks me up. It sounds easy, but even 60+ win teams have trouble getting up for some games and lose to weaker opponents. While we are on the subject, I thought I would share some additional wisdom:

Recipe for financial success: Buy low, sell high.
    Recipe for perfect efficiency: Don't make mistakes.

Now if you want to talk about the way this team closes out games, then that's a different matter. As a fan, it's tough to watch games when you know a lead of 10+ points is not safe heading into the fourth. I can't imagine what that does to a team's confidence.

14. Fuzzy Zoeller

Fuzzy Zoeller Member

Great points! I couldn't argue with any of those.
    To add to the list: McGrady's minutes are WAY lower than the rest of his career even though the Rockets lack an adequate backup playmaker.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I expect Jeff to make great posts in GARM, and it never fails... instant gratification! :cool:

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

I agree, but it is the nature of fans to be myopic. We are so close to the team, at least in our minds, that we lose the "big picture." IMO, the accomplishments are substantial considering the factors mentioned. The talent after the two superstars is marginal. I see more overall talent on most other teams around the league. Truly this team is more than the sum of its parts. JVG gets credit, but so do the players who have meshed well. The planets would have to align precisely for the Rockets to go far this year, but, overall, it has been an entertaining season, something rare in the last ten years.

17. choujie

choujie Member

Agree with you on everything except the "point guards that would be backups on virtually any other team in the NBA." part. I believe Rafer is a slightly below average starting PG in NBA.

18. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

19. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

It goes to show you just how talented Tmac and Yao are. Tmac played at arguably an MVP level when Yao was out as well. Put a better supporting cast around them, and we could win the championship.

20. jdrock

jdrock Member

Hm.. let me see if I can handle this one.. going off the ESPN depth chart

Cleveland - Daniel Gibson (1.1 apg) backed up by Eric Snow
    Philadelphia - Kevin Ollie (2.5 apg) backed up by Louis Williams
    Atlanta - Speedy Claxton (4.4 apg) backed up by Tyronn Lue
    Boston - Delonte West (4.4 apg) backed up Sebastian Telfair
    L.A. Lakers - Smush Parker (2.8 apg) backed up by Jordan Farmar
    Minnesota - Er.. who is their starting PG? in any case, Rafer averages more apg than any of them
    Portland - Jarret Jack (5.3 apg) backed up by Dan Dickau
    Memphis - Damon Stoudamire (4.8 apg) backed up by Chucky Atkins

Rafer averages 5.3 apg

So.. most of these teams are bottom dwellers, so I guess there's truth to both sides of this argument. We could certainly do better than Rafer, but we could also do much worse.