1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yi Jian Lian to enter NBA 2007 Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by kingkow, Nov 2, 2006.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

those are nice dunks.

2. MightyReds2020

I think you need to relax a little bit. There's nothing wrong in comparing players' games with all-time greats, especially when it's mentioned they are most likely won't be as good, but just similar.

I mean, when you want to compare a young player to those that is/was in the league, you obviously won't choose Stromile Swift as your measuring stick. Everyone can dream a little can't they?

By the way, I don't know if Yi topped out at 10PPG and 5RPG. It's more like 15~17PPG and 7, 8RPG - not all-star caliber but not too shabby either.

3. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rw5mK-IsRw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rw5mK-IsRw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

4. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

THey used to compare Yao with, uhm, Bradley, at least for a few months.

5. MightyReds2020

First, this has nothing to do with Yao.

Second, have you seen Bradley when he is fresh out of college? He was actually more athletic than Yao.

6. fasthand2000

fasthand2000 Contributing Member

oh well, the US team did not exactly do very well either, and it had LJ, Melo...

7. rocketman1979

Yi ready to live American Dream
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/2008/2007-04/11/content_847686.htm

Yi ready to live American Dream
    By Zhao Rui (China Daily)
    Updated: 2007-04-11 08:31

Yi Jianlian's domestic basketball career ended in the disappointment of a playoff finals defeat, but China's hottest sporting talent is ready to put the past behind him and begin his NBA career.

Yi Jianlian goes for the ball against player of JIlin NBA Jilin during the CBA off-season match on Feb 4, 2007. [Xinhua]

The 19-year-old sensation, who won three champions rings in China, will leave for the United States tonight to attend a pre-Draft training camp in Los Angeles. With a high draft position all but certain he appears set to follow in the giant footsteps of Houston Rockets' All-star Center Yao Ming.

"I want to walk my own road," said Yi, a 19-year-old, 2.13 meter power forward who idolized Michael Jordan as a child. "The NBA is my dream place, so this is obviously the biggest challenge of my life. But I am not going to be the next Yao Ming or Wang Zhizhi. I want to do it my way."

His size attracted the attention of scouts at a training camp in the US in 2002, and since then he has impressed with his dunking ability and shooting touch.

Eight NBA general managers and executives came to China to watch Yi's Guangdong Tigers take on Bayi Rockets in last month's CBA finals, and the NBA TV provided live coverage.

Winning the league title has become an auspicious way to say goodbye to the domestic league, so the 4-1 playoff loss was a blow for Yi.

In 2001, Wang held off a strong challenge from the Yao Ming-led Shanghai Sharks to give Bayi their sixth trophy, before joining the Dallas Mavericks as the first Chinese player in the NBA. The following year a rising Yao dominated the playoffs, elevating himself to the first international top pick in the 2002 Draft.

"This was the biggest disappointment in my life as I failed to make my CBA memory perfect," Yi was quoted as saying in Basketball Pioneers newspaper. "I want to use my NBA career as compensation for the loss. I really hope to shrug it off as soon as possible."

Despite the Bayi defeat, Yi is still highly rated by US experts. Leading draft website NBADraft.net predicts the teenager will be picked in 11th position in a strong draft, while ESPN lists him in 6th.

The pressure on Yi will be intense, as media have already begun comparing him to superstars including Dallas Maverick's Dirk Nowitzki and Toronto's Chris Bosh due to the combination of his size, mobility and scoring.

But Yi is not letting the hype faze him.

"It doesn't really matter to me No 1 pick or last pick, the next Dirk or Kevin Garnett," he said. "I know I've got to fight from zero and win my place on my team. What I want most is more minutes from my coach, not being a first round pick. I will need some time to get used to the intensity of games in the NBA."

Off the court, however, he believes it will not take long to adapt to the American lifestyle. He spends his time surfing the Internet and is a self-confessed sneaker nut, and his iPod is crammed full of hip-hop the music of choice for NBA stars.

In addition, he is expected to save a lot of energy on business affairs after teaming up with Dan Fegan, a longtime NBA agent whose clients include Jason Terry, Shawn Marion and Nene.

Back home, Yi is one of the biggest marketing icons in the country and has appeared in numerous adverts.

"I don't think I'll have any trouble integrating into American society. I will attend some English classes, that's all," he said. "I feel quite comfortable as my parents will be with me in my rookie year there."

Unlike Yao, whose ability was doubted by many at the start, Yi is already earning the plaudits.

"I think he is 100 percent prepared for the NBA," CBA boss Li Yuanwei told China Daily. "Take a look at his numbers over four years and you'll see he has made a dramatic improvement.

"I'm fully confident he will find his way very soon in the United States."

"He has a much better chance than I did a few years ago," Wang Zhizhi told Titan Sports. "He is talented at both ends and he will have a chance to join the summer league and also the draft. That's really great news for him."

8. rocketman1979

9. metalshred

metalshred Member

WOW, great post! Can't wait to know how he's gonna do in the training camp.

10. bubu1986

bubu1986 Member

Yeah!!!
    Come on Yi Jian Lian !!!

11. YaoYoYao

YaoYoYao Member

GS Warriors would be a fool not to take him.

12. rocketman1979

If Durant and Oden aren't available GS should take him. :)

13. rocketman1979

Message from Yao to Yi: You've got be open to everybody
    http://english.people.com.cn/200704/13/eng20070413_366207.html

Houston Rockets' All-star center Yao Ming has urged Yi Jianlian to "open himself" to a new lifestyle in the United States.

The 19-year-old from Guangdong arrived in Los Angeles yesterday for a private pre-Draft training camp, where he will be coached by former Rockets legend Hakeem Olajuwon.

"As far as I know Yi is a little bit shy so his No 1 task in the US is to open himself to others," Yao told Basketball Pioneer Newspaper. "You cannot ignore the cultural difference between eastern and western countries, a lot of people have trouble with that. Yi should, I mean, he has to, open his heart and communicate with the people around him on and off the court, not only teammates, but also coaches, trainers, officials and also US media.

"Good communication will take some pressure off him, it's very helpful."

Teaming up with NBA longtime agent Dan Fegan, Yi will take part in a series of camps held by NBA teams and head to the draft in New York on June 28. He is expected to play the NBA summer league afterwards, something that Yao believes will be beneficial.

"From my experience, it's very important for him to play in the summer league. I think that will be good for him and his team, whichever team drafts him. I was not in the summer league the year the Rockets drafted me, and I had a very tough start."

Yi has led his team Guangdong Tigers to three consecutive titles in Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) and despite a loss to Bayi Rockets in this year's finals, his 25.4 points and 11 rebounds per game ranked second-highest in the league behind former NBA player Wang Zhizhi.

He represented China at the Athens Olympics and World Championships last year in Japan, but has yet to shine against stronger international opponents.

"He needs more muscle, that's for sure," Yao told the paper. "He lacks the upper body strength and the back to the basket moves at power forward and is a bit long and rangy for the three.

"Despite his vast improvement, he needs to continue to develop his upper body strength. Although he doesn't shy away from physical contact he can get disrupted by rough post play and struggles to maintain his position in the low post as opposing defenders tend to push him out."

In last year's draft an international player, Italian Andrea Bargnani, was taken first pick by Toronto Raptors. This year the draft is considered much stronger, with US college prospects Greg Oden and Kevin Durant battling for first pick. Yi is predicted to go between 6th and 12th.

Source: China Daily

14. metalshred

metalshred Member

I have a feeling that Yi's gonna have at least one fight in the NBA. He's not gonna allow anyone to touch him like what they do to Yao. But in his current physical condition, the opponent can screw him easily.

Good Luck Yi!

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think he'll be pretty good. He's got more attitude than Yao and isnt afraid to dunk in someone's face. Maybe the Chinese Dirk?

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yao has really opened the door for this kid. Training by Hakeem. Getting to participate in summer leagues. Being at the NBA draft.

Yao had none of this, and neither would Yi without Yao.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Let's see how he do in the NBA, I hope he works as hard as Yao and become a good player.

18. metalshred

metalshred Member

Hope his attitude won't create obstacles between him and the American Society.

19. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I doubt he will be a quality NBA player. I think mostly likely he will end up like that Korean kid and go back to China in a few years. He looks too skinny and I don't know if his basketball skills are good enough.

When Yao came to NBA, he had already dominated the CBA for years, however it still took him a while to be a true impact player. As far as I know, Yi is not the No.1 player even for now. Wang ZhiZhi is still better than him. Ones can argue he is still young, but his age is a question mark too.

Still, wish him the best.

20. crooklyn3

crooklyn3 Member

None of those guys who didn't make it were this high of a draft pick. So the Scouts must see something in him to make him a top 10 pick.