1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Check the Record" - Larry Dierker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by thacabbage, Oct 9, 2001.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Today is must win. If Dave Mlicki can just hold them down for 5 innings, I'll be extatic. We're gonna need 6 runs today to win - I hope Bagwell, Biggio, and company have it in them.

In Jackson comes in to pitch with a lead during the rest of the series, I am going to kill someone.

2. Major

Major Member

Well, somebody on AstrosConnection found the "check the record" reference I think:

Batter vs. Pitcher

Jackson vs.

Lockhart 1-3
    Caminiti 1-8
    Giles 0-1

Dotel vs.

Lockhart NR
    Caminiti 4-5
    Giles 0-1

The only hitter of note in there is Ken Caminiti. Notice the stark difference. Not saying it was a good decision, by any means, but he apparently at least had his reasons.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

A simple Jackson does much better than Dotel against Cammy would've sufficed. Instead, he made the organization look bad.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Don't we have any other options today beside Mlicki?

Starting Mlicki is like starting the game down 2 runs.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

You hear that? LUGO was BOOED.

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

One explanation for not pitching Dotel -- that made sense -- was given by a commentator last night. Dierker wanted to save Dotel for today's game. This would allow Dotel to come in after 4-5 innings when Milicki starts to struggle, and give a few innings of relief.

I don't see any reason to bring in Jackson. He has been a good pitcher, and still probably is. BUT -- he's blown, big, too many close games lately. He's snakebit, and now isn't the time to work it out. Everyone in the bullpen was rested. Why not go with Cruz or Williams, or anyone else.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That makes sense. You have a lead in a game and series when you've had a very hard time doing that, so instead of bringing in the best setup man in the league, you bring in somebody else.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

SCREW THAT !!!

You don't play for tomorrow...you play for today.

Dierker made the wrong choice, BUT...that being said....Lugo is the one that cost the Stros the game.

That guy is simply overmathed...give me Viscaino...in there...he may not have the range, but he hits better and he is more reliable.

DaDakota

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good thing we didn't get Viscaino up, I mean...the guy only got a hit.....GRRRR...

And Lugo...runner in scoring position, a chance at redemption....PFFFFTTTT...CHOKE !!

DaDakota