1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rate the following people based on entire body of work

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bchapman101, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Purpura-4
    Garner-4
    Kubiak-4
    McNair-3
    JVG-5

2. msn

msn Member

No. No, it's not "fair enough".

One of the things that made the Astros so consistently competitive is the farm system and scouting, which was considered by many the deepest and best in baseball until Hunsicker depleted it with trades towards the end of his tenure. Guess who oversaw that award-winning, league-renowned system?

To judge Tim Purpura by his "whole body of work" and then only consider two or three years as GM is to be ignorant of his "whole body of work". To then discount those first two or three years as "Hunsicker's" work is to amazingly ignorant of Purpura's "whole body of work".

Hunsicker is still the gold standard of Houston GMs--but, one thing that made him so good is the people he surrounded himself with. And, chief among those that made Hun successful is Tim Purpura.

Long term, we may see that he's best suited as a director of player development overseeing all the minor leagues and all the scouting (where he really made his hay). And, boy, did he do a damn good job at it. Those players he developed, and those free agents his department scouted and Gerry signed, took us to our first World Series--with Tim as the GM, no less.

Timmy gets a 5, bro. A 5.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

But Timmy couldn't have done any of that. He's fat. Sorry.

4. bchapman101

bchapman101 Contributing Member

I see your point. I just said "let's see what happen this year" because even thought Purpura did all that with the minor league system before, last year and this year are his only years at the head. Now he makes trades. Now he signs free agents. (yes I know Drayton McLane has final say but you know what I mean) You are arguing for Purpura before he was GM, which I can understand. What I should have stated earlier is rate him on his work as a GM. So to see what he does this year would be very significant. Now isnt that fair enough?

5. msn

msn Member

As a GM? Well, OK, but it seems I put more stock into the first two years than you do, right or wrong. He hasn't overwhelmed me, but neither did Gerry in his first two years. I think the Astros have a good thing going. I think Timmy P will be a good GM for a long time. I could be wrong; we'll see.

6. bchapman101

ok well see, anyway we both want to see good results, as we are both Astro fans (even if they got swept at home by the Pirates, haha)

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Well at least somebody here appreciates Mr. McNair for all he has done.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Purpura 2
    Garner 4
    Kubiak 3
    McNair 1
    JVG 3
    C. Dawson 3

DD

9. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

Anybody who gives McNair a 1 after he spent a billion dollars to bring the NFL back to Houston is a complete moron. By the way Garner has done the worst job of anybody on this list. If anybody is the polar opposite of me as a sports fan its got to be DD. I am very happy about this fact.

10. bchapman101

OK the results are in. I simply totalled all the numbers. Here they are:

1) JVG - 34.28
    2) Garner - 27.5
    3) Kubiak - 26.2
    4) Purpura - 24.5
    5) McNair - 14

Bob McNair was by far the least popular of all, while JVG was by far the most popular. There was also a write in vote. CD received 11.75 points on just 3 votes! He almost beat McNair!

Well there you have it clutchfans. That is how you voted. (Yes I know the sample was very small)

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

This thread - 0

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I have to question anyone that doesn't have Garner rated ahead of everyone mentioned.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Anyone who puts up with his incompetence is a moron too :rolleyes:

I have calmed down...

#33 Smokey, Apr 7, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  14. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Tim Purpura - 3
    Phil Garner - 4
    Gary Kubiak - 4
    Bob McNair - 1
    Jeff Van Gundy - 4

15. msn

msn Member

Anyone who calls someone a "moron" based on an opinion over something as subjective as sports is a "moron".

There; got you both covered.

Both points of view have merit: McNair deserves massive kudos for bringing the NFL back to H-Town; he is also not given a free pass for taking so long to identify how utterly stupid the previous regime's actions were.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Chris Dudley was a better overall center than Hakeem Olajuwon.

17. msn

msn Member

Hyperbole is a logical fallacy.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know. :)

19. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Purp-2
    Garner-3
    Uncle D-3
    Kubs-INC
    Smith-INC-but looking good
    McNair-3 (a 5 for his class and open wallet a 1 for trusting CC)
    JVG-5
    CD-4
    Les-4

Now Gerry H I would have rated very very high

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Sports management in Houston, you really don't want to talk about this. Far too depressing. Especially, anything to do with the Texans.