1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Psychological viewpoint: How much heartbreak can the Astros and the fans take?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JBIIRockets, Oct 10, 2001.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

As I was walking to the bus-stop, going to class at UT, I heard Milo say on my Walkman that Chipper Jones had hit a homerun off of Billy Wagner. I was stunned and then flustered, so much that my Walkman separated from my headphones and fell onto the concrete parking lot. My Walkman almost split in two, but it turned out to be a minor crack.

I could not believe it. The Astros had blown their 7th consecutive postseason save.

I wonder how the Astro team feels right now. How do Bagwell and Biggio withstand all these mind-blowing crushing moments in playoff history. It has to be killing them inside, just eating at them, although they do not show it in interviews.

I mean, I know the Astros will never quit, but I wonder if they ever ask themselves, "No matter how hard we try, this group of guys will never get over the hump. It is just not mean't to be."

Billy Wagner's postseason ERA is now over 12. I wonder if that stays with him.

As a fan, I have come to expect the worst with this team, but I still am stunned when the worst happens. One of the reasons I want the Astros to win so bad is because my mom has been a diehard fan for over 20 years. She has seen the devastating losses to the Phillies and the Mets. I want to see that smile on her face if, when the Astros finally win that playoff series. She is a true fan. This goes for many long time Astros fans.

It is amazing how much pressure would go by the wayside if the Astros could rebound and win this series. This is the ultimate adversity the Astros are facing right now.

Game 2 is the biggest game of their lives. If they can pull it out, and then go to the ATL and take advantage of the Braves' pathetic home-record, I think they are primed for a long-postseason run.

In short, I hope the Astros do what the 1996 Seattle Supersonics did, get the first round monkey off the back, and then just explode.

JBIIROCKETS

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Great post. I've been wondering the same things over the years.

I'd be willing to bet that the team just about felt as heartbroken when all those 'fans' were booing the home team when Bonds was in town.

Its crazy, I tell ya. Our offense is so damn loaded its almost a wonder how we haven't had multiple titles in the last few years, let alone at least contended.

I still have to ask myself how far we could really go with only two good starters left and healthy in Reynolds and Miller, but at the same time, our offense is good enough to at least put up better numbers.

Its feast or famine with the 'Stros. Especially famine in the post-season. They've left me scratching my head SO many times in the last 5 years.....

People talk about how its not any worse to be a Cub's fan, but I say bah to that. The difference is that the 'Stros have, for the most part, been contenders. With the exception of last season, we've been damn awesome putting up great numbers and being pretty consistant, having 90+ win seasons and everything. I swear to god, its like a spell gets cast upon our boys every October. This year, it started with Hernandez and Astacio, and now Oswalt (even though he'll hopefully be back before the end), and it looks like it might end the way it always does, with the Killer B's turning into the Not-So-Killer Zzzzzzz's.

Oh well. Nothing new in H-town. I feel really sorry for such a talented team, and I feel sorry for the rest of the fans as well. Next thing you know, by the time we're ready to contend again, our talent will have been traded away.....

Here's to hoping..........Go 'Stros!

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Excellent post. Each year I think "This will be the year we dont blow it somehow" but after yesterdays game I was struck with the same feelings as in the past if not more so. We HAVE awesome talent from the top to the bottom of the batting order, we have excellent young pitching, a good if not excellent bullpen, so what gives?? I am still waiting for Biggio and Bagwell to bust out in the post season and show the fans why they are the foundation of this franchise. I am very frustrated as a fan so I cannot even begin to imagine whats going through the mind of the players, although hopefully they will forget about the game yesterday and come back strong in game 2. If for some reason we do not advance past the first round, I feel Dierker will get the ax, yes the manager gets to much credit when we win and to much grief when we lose but the decision he made yesterday to put Mike Jackson in instead of Dotel was just WRONG. With that said, LETS GO ASTROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I could not agree more JBIIRockets. We HAVE to win today.

About yesterdays game, it was the 8TH inning, Jackson is a middle reliever at best, not a setup man.

Should have been

1-7 Wade Miller
    8 Dotel
    9 Wagner/Dotel

WTF was he thinking??? :mad:

Oh Well. I will not waste my money going to another game for that kind of CRAP. I would rather sit at home with my 23$ and yell at the TV.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let the Astros win today!

GO ASTROS!!! :D