1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Somebody Shoot Larry Dierker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JayZ750, Oct 9, 2001.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Astros have a 3-2 lead, two innings left, and my main man Larry decides to put in the one pitcher EVERYBODY in Houston knows will screw it up.

Dierker deserves to get fired. That is the plain and simple of it. His teams NEVER overachieve. They just achieve. And his lack of managerial skills kills them every year in the playoffs.

Am I being harsh? Should Dierker get more credit for the Astros winning 4 out of 5 division titles?

2. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I thought it was Lugo who couldn't handle that groundball-- albeit a tough one.

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'm not sure if Dierker deserves to be fired, but his decision to not go with Dotel in the 8th was a very bad one...

I believe in jinxes. Here are a few...

The jinx: Everybody raves about our bullpen.
    Horrible consequence: Naturally, they barf up the game for Houston.

The jinx: Analysts were sure that the Astros bats will turn a new leaf in the playoffs.
    The dire result: Notwithstanding Ausmus' inexplicable HR, Astros B's produce Zzzzz's.

The jinx: ESPN Radio noted ominously before Chipper's at-bat in the 8th that he hadn't hit a HR against Wagner in his career.
    (Cato)strophic outcome: End result: 3-run HR (like clock work, it is, I tell ya).

So, as a superstitious person, I don't believe that the Astros personnel lost this one. Instead, I think we were merely a cruel victim of jinxes, circumstances, and Murphy's Law...

... Oh, yeah, and Mike Jackson...

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

The Star-crossed Glovers by William (Big Pen) Shakespeare.