1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao is not a reliable 4th qtr player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Apr 1, 2007.

1. cks

cks Member

Yao still has room to improve but it is unfair to label him as "not a reliable 4th qtr player", usually the defense is much intense during the last few minutes, Yao has to rumble with one or two big guys for the 35minutes, it is understandable he will loss some of his shooting touch.

If we want to say Yao is not a reliable 4th. qtr player, i would propose "Rocket is not a reliable 4th Qtr team" instead

2. lukziliary

lukziliary Member

I agree with cks. I think he is right.Yao did enough.

3. tang0

tang0 Member

What do you expect. Yao was playing 1 0n 5 for 3 quarters. He was fighting for osition inside on every possession. Yea, TMac can do better? Show me.All he can do lately is taking jumpers after jumpers and clanking them. I remembered one possession he even put up a3 pointer when there was not a single rockets player in the arc and 3 Jazz players right uner the basket. Playmaking, good BB IQ or glory seeking?

4. tang0

tang0 Member

This thread is no more an apology by ToF to excuse TMac's play and diminish Yao's performance. What rubbish.

5. jclee

jclee Member

Is Tmac a clutch player, sure he had few, but who doesn't? JVG should not have Tmac take the last shot everytime when the game is on the line....he miss the one vs. Lakers and the one vs. Jazz. And shooting less than 30 or 40% every game is not that great, either. Shane needs more shots than Rafer, and Yao needs to improve and dunk the f-ing ball.

6. toostupid

toostupid Member

I think Yao is going to have stamia problem for his entire career, because of his size. So maybe the coach and the physician should work better with how to use Yao more effectively.

7. Fuse

Fuse Member

If his teammtes were reliable, then he wouldn't have to work his socks off on offense all the time. That in itself is good enough to conserve his energy.

8. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Have ya'll noticed how Yao reacts everytime he makes a mistake? It's gawddamn annoying. Maybe he'll stop committing these turnovers if he stops feeling sorry for himself and stays focused on the game. I think he's too mentally weak to raise his game to the next level.

9. Fuse

Fuse Member

Wow. Feel sorry for himself? If owning up to your mistakes = feeling sorry for himself, you leave me speechless. I think you're referring to T-mac, because every time he does make a mistake, he either, complains to the ref or blames his teammates for it.

The post game interview for the Jazz is a prime example of such behavior.

If he's too mentally weak, why don't we just trade him away to make you feel better?

10. YaoYoYao

YaoYoYao Member

Yao's "Old Spice" commercial:

"Taste like chicken, smell like rose!"

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

11. nait

nait Member

So what do you want? Doesn't care about his own mistakes?

12. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Man, I thought the Yao haters were dead with a steak through their heart, but here they are again, back in full force!

13. Fuse

Fuse Member

I would be a happy man if I had a steak buried through MY heart = )

14. tang0

tang0 Member

All this discussions are moot if only TMac had played unselfishly in the first quarter instead of bricking 6 shots. Before Yao went down with injury the team always pound it in in the first quarter to establish Yao first. Now because of the good record when Yao was out JVG has reverted to 05 when TMac was the first option. TMac can score 30 points every game and we will still loose because he will have to take 30 shots to do that. Yao only need 20 shots to get 30 points and also put pressure on the other team because of the fouls he draws. TMac mainly scores with jumpers. Many people here are still living in the past. Yes, 5 years ago TMac was the premier scorer of the league but he is clearly on the decline but Yao is just reaching his peak or about to. TMac and ToF must realize this franchise is built around Yao and not TMac. TMac was brought in to complement Yao and not the other way round. Reminds me when Stevie said that he and Yao were Batman & Robin and implied he was Batman. Well, TMac also thins he is Batman to Yao's Robin. The earlier he gets rid of this notion the better it is for the rockets.

As for Yao being not a reliable 4th quarter player those who think so obviously have not been playing very close attention to the games as they are only focussed on TMac's play. TMac is a has been. Accept it. Yao will lead TMac and the rockets out of the first round and not the other way round.

15. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

First off, no one is talking about trading yao. Don't put words into my mouth. Secondly, owning up to mistakes is not equivalent to pouting on the court in a "woe is me" manner after every turnover. Of course he should care about limiting his mistakes and trying to improve. He's already a great player, but reacting the way he does is a sign that he's frustrated. Don't think the other team doesn't take satisfaction in knowing that.

16. ericmark

ericmark Member

You sound like Yao's big Daddy. ;)

17. Fuse

Fuse Member

Maybe we're just seeing completely different things. I personally don't see the woe is me attitude that you perceive. In fact, quite the contrary, I see Yao as the first one to owe up to his own mistakes.

I suggested trading him, because paying a max contract for someone who is too mentally weak to take it to the next level would be waste of resources. We already have T-mac, who is too "mentally and physically weak," and if Yao is as you claimed, then I would naturally deduct that the one that would have to go is him.

18. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

He's George Ming?

19. 99bb

99bb Member

Great, You just want to keep Mr. Dawson busy. GMs of other 29 teams will call him soon.

20. nyc2k2

nyc2k2 Member

Yao will be a scoring machine if he is not as tired as he is right now in the 4th quarter. He can improve....