1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Drama

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by AllenLeavell, Oct 5, 2001.

1. AllenLeavell

AllenLeavell Member

I have been AStros fan every since I was young like 4 they always seem to find a way to disappoint me . The trade of
    JR then let Nolan go .I recently found out they traded Joe freakin Morgan and Curt Schilling . the Schilling thinng did not hurt as bad
    losing Kenny Lofton. I remeber going to the games seeing Kevin Bass hitting Game winning homeruns. This collapsed of this year has more to do with pitching or lack of hitting as usual when it matters they just can't hit watermelon in the air. I just very upset
    now.

2. Houstone

Houstone Member

They do very much suck, im tired of the losing.

They suck big monkey balls

:) :)

3. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

So do you have any idea of the background of those trades?

Did you know we traded for Jeff Bagwell?
    Did you know we traded for Moises Alou?
    Did you know we traded for Mike Hampton?

You know some trades are good, some bad. There is no organization that has only made bad trades. Try to find out the background info before you get pissed.

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Dude, you must be very young to say you've been a fan since you were 4, yet not know the history of this team.

JR Richard was not traded, he was forced into early retirement due to having a stroke. Schilling was languishing as a reliever when he was traded. They had no catchers to speak of when they traded Lofton for Taubensee.

Kevin Bass was hitting an average of 11 HR's a year during his Astro career....what Astro was averaging 24 HR's a year during that same time frame? (Hint: He was traded for Curt Schilling, Steve Finley, and Pete Harnish)

5. deepellumrocket

Some people are so myopic that they think their team is the only one that makes bad trades.

News flash!! All major league baseball teams have made moves that proved to be less than beneficial at some point in their history.

6. AllenLeavell

AllenLeavell Member

Look deep ellum rocket i was just upset about the game

7. deepellumrocket

Oh, believe me, I'm plenty upset about the last 10 games!

That comment may have included you but wasn't necessarily aimed at you AllenLeavell, just an observation on sports fans in general. I get upset when people talk about what a bad organization the Astros are by citing certain bad trades in their history, like they're the only ones who make bad trades. The trades you mentioned were all so far in the past that they have no bearing whatsoever on the current sorry state of the team.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Because I'm bored, here's a fun, flawed thesis on the 'Stros, complete with speculation, facts, opinions, exaggerations, and more! Oh boy!

Introduction: Someone at work mentioned the words "conspiracy theory" to me this morning. I thought about it, and I think you should, too. Chew on this: MLB executives would probably rather have San Francisco in the playoffs than Houston. So what happens? Houston loses 6 straight and counting. Will it ever end? According to my wacked-out mindset, Houston will end the season with a convenient 9-game skid. Convenient, indeed.

Thesis: MLB executives would rather have San Francisco in the postseaon than Houston, and they will use their powers of influence for said result.

Arguments:
    Let's take a look at the teams and the ratings draw factor from a wacky conspiracy theory standpoint:

St. Louis: McGwire, Pujols
    San Fran: Bonds, Kent (last year's MVP)
    Arizona: Big Unit, Schilling, and Gonzalez
    Atlanta: America's Team (in BB), Maddux, Glavine, Chipper
    Seattle: Ichiro (and the best record)
    NY Yankees: Jeter, won it all last year, too many damn fans (see: Atlanta)
    Oakland: Up and coming team, Giambi (last year's MVP)
    Cleveland: Always in playoffs, other teams in division a bad draw

... Houston: Bagwell and Biggo (maybe Alou)

What it boils down to is who would America like to see in the playoffs, San Fran or Houston? With the HR chase, it's clearly San Francisco. You may think this is crazy talk (and it really is), but wait until the Astros get swept in Houston, and San Francisco sweeps L.A. to make the playoffs. I really, really, really, really hope that's not the case, but if the NBA can be fixed nowodays (i.e. the NBA on NBC conspiracy), so can baseball. (The NBA on NBC conspiracy theory is a whooooole other topic...)

Arguments, Part II
    Market research (from Nielsenmedia.com):

- San Francisco is 5th in US television market rank, representing 2.3% of the viewers in the U.S.
    - Houston is 11th, representing 1.7%.

Other top viewer markets:
    - NY is clearly #1.
    - Oakland is included with San Fran at #5.
    - Atlanta is #9.
    - St. Louis is #22.
    - Seattle is #12.
    - Cleveland is #17.
    - Phoenix is #16.

Factoring in market rank: In a perfect world, Houston would get the conspiracy theory nod over St. Louis based on market rank, but McGwire is the X-factor. Plus, St. Louis and San Fran would play each other in the first round. McGwire vs. Bonds. That's a better matchup for Fox than Houston-Atlanta (if Houston won the Central). It's also a better matchup than St. Louis-Atlanta (if St. Louis wins the Central) and Houston-Arizona (if Houston can win a freaking game).

Arguments, Part III:
    What is the motivation behind Houston losing? Drayton McClane will probably be well compensated for his convenient losing streak. If he is to be believed, he's been losing money on the team for a while. He needs money. MLB might be willing to compensate him more for losing than he would get for postseason revenue (otherwise, why lose at all?). The team would get their share for fixing the games (i.e. play with no effort). Furthermore, Houston will get future considerations (i.e. a favor from MLB).

Conclusion: Houston go bye-bye. Say "hey" to Willie Mays' godson, Barry Bonds, in the postseason.

In yet another conspiracy, the Yankees win the World Series for emotional reasons over Barry's team. That's not much of a conspiracy, though, since I think the Yanks will win anyway...

9. Major

Major Member

Are the Astros a willing part of this conspiracy? If not, how do you explain the fact that they suddenly can't make contact with that ball? Or that their pitchers suddenly can't throw the ball to the same spots they were several weeks ago?

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

See? I at least addressed this concern.

11. AllenLeavell

AllenLeavell Member

Behad i understand what you mean about not knowing the
    history but I really love the astros. I know who you talking
    the great Glenn Davis. Thank for the knowledge Great one

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Cesar Cedeno was <b>The Great One</b>