1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After the Astros won Friday...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobrek, Oct 7, 2001.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Should this have happened? This was after the Astros victory Friday night. Keep in mind that they had a noon game on Saturday...

---------------
    Glued to the tube

As most of their teammates headed to the team's hotel late Friday, Jeff Bagwell, Wade Miller, Brad Ausmus, Tim Redding and Doug Brocail remained glued to the TV inside the visitors' clubhouse at Busch Stadium.

They didn't leave until about 2 Saturday morning after the Dodgers had defeated the Giants in San Francisco, guaranteeing the Astros a spot in the playoffs.

"That was pretty awesome," Miller said. "Baggy wanted to get dressed and go home, but I wouldn't let him. I was the last one in my game shirt and shorts (worn during the 2-1 victory over St. Louis). I didn't get dressed until about the eighth inning (of the Giants game).

"In that last inning, a couple of guys -- Brad, Baggy and Brocail -- had to go in the bathroom because they didn't want to watch it."

Bagwell and Ausmus had a different take on the situation.

"Yeah, we had to go to the bathroom," Bagwell said, "but it wasn't about fear. <b>It was about beer</b>. We just had to go to the bathroom."
    -----------------------

Shouldn't Bagwell, Ausmus and Redding all been back in bed at the Hotel or at least not drinking beer? It doesn't reflect well, especially for Bagwell and his two costly errors and one costly K.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah..this is great news!!! so maybe they got to bed about 3-4 AM...up by 8 AM (at least) for breakfast and to report to stadium for a game that starts at noon!! beautiful!! maybe that explains Alou's error!!! the bags under his eyes prevented him from seeing the ball into his glove.

the more i think about this the worse it bothers me...they were on the eve of a game where they could put the division title away....instead they stay up to watch themselves de facto clinch the wild card!! congratulations, fellas!!! with stupid mistakes in the game that started some 8 hours after you went to sleep, you pissed away the chance to beat a starting Cardinal pitcher who didn't have his stuff. now you're forced to clinch it against Kile whom you couldn't hit at all last time you faced him. i'm hoping that last night they all had one big pillow fight and stayed up talking about girls and who would win in a fight, superman or batman. maybe they were out late looking for a new glove for alou at some of those 24 hour sport supply megacenters that litter the freeways of st. louis.

seriously...up until the wee hours of the morning drinking beer before an early game where you have a chance to clinch the division??? seriously?? man....great fellas. thanks a lot!! can't wait to plunk down my $25 for some playoff tickets to watch you make sleep-deprived errors again next week!!!

#2 MadMax, Oct 7, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2001