1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

automated reply alert service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by alexcapone, Mar 19, 2007.

1. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I don't have any technical knowlege of what can and can't be done with imessage boards but I thought of an idea that might improve discourse on the board. As someone who does not post very frequently(maybe once every 3 days or so) I always like to get feedback on my posts whenever I do say something. However, it can be time consuming to sift through 20 pages of a thread to see if you have been quoted. I thought it would be kind of cool if there was a way to recieve an email alert of some sort when someone has replied to your post and a direct link could be provided to the thread/post. Probably very difficult if not impossible for you to set up Clutch but I thought this would be something that alot of people would be interested in. If it is possible I'd propose a small one time fee for all those interested for all your time/effort. Thanks.

2. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Thread Tools up in the right hand corner and then subscribe to thread. Choose "Instant Email Notification"

3. armyman789

armyman789 Member

i think that is just for the thread starter and it notifies them if someone has posted in their thread. He is talking about if someone quotes him in a random thread.

4. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Well crap. I don't post on here for months, decide to come over and read a few threads, misread one of them, and make an idiot out of myself. Figures.

I'm out

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If it makes you feel better, you are welcome to come make an idiot out of yourself other times as well. I invite you. :D

alexcapone, you can search for your username in the keywords field of the search. If someone quoted you, it will be there.

6. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

First of all, i am extremely sorry about interrupting your topic and going off topic.

I can't make a thread and i have tons of questions to ask. So i picked this thread to be like my question thread, if i can't do that, i am sorry, please delete my post but for now,

Q: How come i can't start a thread?
    Q: How come i can't edit?
    Q: Do i have to pay to put a signature on?
    Q: How long do i have to wait to be able to do things other forums allow to do?
    Q: How come this thing doesn't accept gmail, yahoo, hotmail, ect?

Ok, that's all, answer my question if you would, delete it and call me a scrub if you want, just wondering, thanks in advance.

Sorry again to alexcapone for interrupting your thread.

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

To limit the frequency of trolls and multi-account users. Please don't hijack other people's threads because you're not allowed to start your own. Rookies can't start threads because we want folks to learn the community culture before mucking it up with dumb threads.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

alexcapone,

What you want is not a feature of this bbs software. that said, note the words in your post that I quoted. maybe someone can test this, but I'm pretty sure if you do a bbs search for

"Originally Posted by alexcapone"

you'll get results of when you've been quoted.

if not, I think there is a way to view a thread as one page. Then just search your name via the browser search.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

also, there is a button at the top of the page called "Display Modes"

switch to Threaded Mode and you'll see plain as day you replied to you directly.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It sounds like a good idea to me

12. armyman789

armyman789 Member

ive been around this website for almost 2 years now so im pretty sure I know the "community culture." I am pretty much on this website all day. I just never had a "valid" email account so I couldn't join. Also a couple years ago you had to pay also to get in so that was a problem for me. BTW if u pay $10 to the tipjar, u automatically become a contributing member. But are u allowed to start threads also?

13. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

sry about that guys

14. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

cool...i just saw that. I just noticed that you get an email alert when someone replies to your comments on youtube so i thought maybe they could do something like that here

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

the rookie title isnt a weird way to force people to hit the tipjar.

IT was to keep the influx of new members from littering the board with topics until they better understood what is acceptable and whats not.

Its a probationary ranking that limits what you can do. The only way to change it is to make quality posts.

I have seen members get demoted to rookies for actions that arent bad enough to warrant banning, but need to be acted upon.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yup. Lotsa jackasses runnin around here... ;)