1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros going to the playoffs!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Francis3, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Barry Bonds big night comes out bad for him in the end. He is packing his bags for vacation. Astros now have clinched playoffs!

GO ASTROS..

BTW.. Did you guys see Dierker talk about how the fans were embarresment and how he was pissed off when they cheered for Bonds? he said those are not real fans, cheering the opponent.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

I know, after waiting through the longest nine inning game in history, we have finally made the playoffs. Go stros.

Didn't see Dierker's comments.

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think Dierker is right on the money. These fans are just hungry to witness someone break a record.

Btw, you people ought to be ashamed of yourselves, asking if the Stros quit. You have to believe in the team. :D

4. Band Geek Mobster

Dierker was whining about the fans calling for a curtain call.

If Jeff Bagwell did something as amazing as what Bonds did in another city, and the fans wanted Jeff to come back out of the dugout after doing it, Dierker would say the fans were "classy".

Houston fans do it and it's "awful".

His comments were mainly out of frustration of seeing his team fall apart right in front of his eyes...

If the Stros won the game, then he probably wouldn't have cared so much...

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Band Geek -- you're absolutely right. The other night Cal Ripken approached the plate at Yankee Stadium for what would be his final at bat there. The crowd stood up and gave him a standing ovation. They were recognizing his great achievements...the Astros fans were doing nothing more than that by cheering for Bonds. That game was so out of reach, particularly since the Astros couldn't buy a hit. Bonds tied the all-time single season record for homeruns and we're supposed to sit in silence? Are you serious?? You realize how the rest of the country would laugh at us for that?? Talk about bad sports fans!! Not cheering the guy who just hit his 70th homer of the season is flat ass stupid!

By the way...I'm a huge Astros fan...I've followed this team since I was about 7 years old. I've been heartbroken every year, but hope springs eternal for me every April. But when the Astros went in this last collapse, what we were supposed to do?? Bagwell said he couldn't believe the fans booed their performance....I wonder what he would think if he were on a team in New York putting together a similar dive??!! The fact is, this kind of collapse has become commonplace for this team down the stretch and in big, meaningful games. It goes beyond being "just baseball" or "just a slump" as Biggio suggested, when you find yourself in just such a slump every year for the past 6 seasons when your team is either in the playoffs or fighting down the stretch to get there. Am I rooting like crazy for the Astros to win?? absolutely!! Will I be disappointed if they don't?? absolutely!! Will I be surprised if they fall flat-ass on their face?? absolutely NOT! They have given me no evidence in any previous occasion that they will rise to the challenge of tough games in the playoffs....I root for them, nevertheless. I submit that that's the essence of a fan, Mr. Bagwell, Mr. Dierker and Mr. Biggio. But if I'm expected to jump in jubilation when they win (as I would!) then you can also expect me to boo when they perform below what they're capable of. I can't believe that anyone who follows baseball at all would even suggest something else!! Does anyone else here the boos at Fenway, Wrigley or Yankee Stadium when their teams have collapsed?? -- of course!!! Are they not real fans??? Of course they are!!! Win one playoff series in your 40 year history, Astros....until then my fantacism for you isn't based on evidence...I root for you, but I'll boo you when I'm upset.