1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I like the new Greek Bigman!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tsunami, Feb 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. cs_eric

cs_eric Member

he is solid, he has got good rebs, but he is not faster~

seemed that Head and Alston do not trust him, no balls passed to him in the paint...

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Big Jake looked great last night. I was at the game and I couldn't believe his size. It's amazing that we have three centers over 7 feet tall.

When we acquired Jake my comment in the trade thread was that I thought our system could get the most out of Jake's abilities just as it has gotten the most out of an old Dikembe Mutumbo who many thought was washed up before he arrived here. Last night, Jake made me look really smart. I appreciate that too because it's not often I get to feel smart around here. :D

3. McGradyFTW

McGradyFTW Member

No, that is atually the owner of Niko Niko's.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We are one of the few teams that still value centers, most of the rest of the league has moved away from centers to a skilled big man league.

The NBA's zone rules have hindered centers dramatically.

DD

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I also like what I saw from Big Jake last nite, considering how horrid a game it was, gotta look for some sort of positives

6. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

JVG nailed the rule into Alston and Head: do NOT pass to the big guy if his # is not 11... But yeah, big Jake did alright last nite, one of fewest should walk out the build with the head high.

7. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

The Rockets should strongly consider bringing Jake back to be Yao's backup for the next 5+ years. 7 footers don't grow on tree's

8. roxfan_bos

roxfan_bos Member

After Yao returns, I think we should start Jake over DM , unless we really need defence from DM for few munites, he is running out of gas.
    :eek:

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL, I have seen that guy so many times on TV already :D.

I like the self-deprecating humor in this picture:

[​IMG]

10. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Is this the guy you saw ?? :D

[​IMG]

There was an article by Wang Meng sometimes ago (January 17, 2007) talking about how this guy, Dimitrios Fetokakis, became a great fan of VSpan.

http://sports.tom.com/2007-01-17/0424/85612022.html

When VSpan first arrived into Houston, the Rockets management told him that Niko Niko's is the most authentic Greek restaurant in town. Therefore, VSpan took a visit there one afternoon October 2006. He was immediately recognized by Dimitrios Fetokakis and his staff (all of them Greeks), who all were fans of VSpan, as they felt proud that VSpan had led Greece to defeat the US Dream Team in the World Championship.

From then on, their paths just crossed each other.

In his support of VSpan, he did a couple of the following things:-

• He bought season tickets for the Rockets, and came every game to rave and support the Rockets in the hope of VSpan will get his play minutes.
    • The Niko Niko's also became the sponsor for the short intermission session where VSpan taught the Toyota Centre fans simple Greek words and phrases, like Nike (Victory) or "defense" or "believe".

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Isn't that guy a member of this BBS? I thought someone took credit for being him once on here.

DD

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I could really go for some Souvlaki right now.

13. rocketsmetalspd

Head and Alston should have passed the ball, these two guys were horrible. These are the times I wish JVG would give VSpan a shot at the PG position.

14. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Its all so clear now.... :cool:

Too bad we couldn't eek out a win. Alston did an ok job last night of setting up his team mates, but he will never be confused with Steve Nash. We just couldn't hit a shot, 32% fg, 4.5% 3pt :eek: , holy crap I think I could shoot better then that. I am not going to go so far as saying one player cost us this game, the whole team looked disoriented. You could tell they were really missing T-Mac.

#34 OddsOn, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Big Jake does not play D, so he will be playing the end of the bench, as long as JVG is coach.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Last night Big Jake out played Mutombo.He has the talent and youth to be our back up Center. JVG of course will stick with Mutombo and will wan't to overpay him to come back for another season, instead of developing Big Jake.

17. nahmorlah

nahmorlah Contributing Member

So because of one game, we should drop Mutombo? The wisdom spewing out of your hands is just amazing!

18. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well did you notice how many defensive rebounds he got ? No defense ?? :rolleyes:

As interviewed in Chinese websites, the guy said:-

• He thought very highly of Jeff Van Gundy.... a great coach.
    • He understood his role in the Rockets, as backup centre, in the perking order of Yao Ming and Deke Mutombo
    • He will strive to learn as fast as possible the Rockets O&D systems
    • He knew that his strength is his height and power/strength
    • He will focus on one thing only: rebounding and Defense
    • He felt very happy to be in the team with Yao Ming and Mutombo. He knew he could learn alot from them.

19. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Does anybody know if big Jake can pass the ball out if needed, or is he a black hole?

Sishir Chang ---What is Souvlaki ?

20. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

He passed the ball out a few times, his teammate never returned the favor. His only 3 points came from an offensive rebound and put back (3 point play). Yesterday's game showed exactly why I want a AJ type coach than JVG, AJ would keep resorting to his bench to find an answer in such shooting woes, JVG just stuck there and swallowed a lose---I meant to add a word before the "lose" , but I couldn't find it.