1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what's Australia like?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well?

What are your biggest problems/concerns on a daily basis?
    What are your race relations like?
    How's the Australian economy?

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Is the party already over DOD?

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I heard a comedian describe Australia recently as "Arkansas with a beach."

It was that Mark guy on Who's Line is it Anyway...the guy with the glasses. he went on further to describe why he felt that way.

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Dr,

here's my thoughts, probably a little left and critical than norm

For me daily life is very easy here, but i am a white employed educated australian of anglo-saxon decent. Daily problems would be things like paying the mortage, getting out of bed, deciding what to watch on TV and what to type of fodo to eat for Dinner.

As for concerns, mine would be the view of the current government, which are compounded by the similarities of the main opposition party. Most recently the governments take on the Tampa boat people situation is just ridiculous and complete inhuman. Another government issue is the blind following by our government of the US government into this Infinite Justice war thing.

Offically everything is great, but Aboriginals are treated as second class citizens here are the reconcilliation process which has certainly taken hold and improving things is greatly halted by our dim-witted prime minister inability to say 'Sorry' to the Aboriginal population for the Atrocities of past and present governments, mainly about the stolen generations where aboriginal children were forcibly removed from their families and place in the care of white families. What Serena and Venus William's Dad said when little Leyton was in trouble at the US open is not far wrong.

Generally speaking through aside from some Redneckness encouraged lately by the government regarding immigrants and a woman by the name of Pauline Hanson, we are very multi-cultural society and most very accepting of it as normal, especially in younger generations.

How's the Australian economy?

I'm no expert but supposedly in is very strong, interest rates are very low at the minute, house price and the building industry are going through the roof at the minute, but the dollar isn't too flash up against the greenback. We have a GST here which has screwed things a little. Cost of living here is great, especially where I live.

Smeg

PS So Dr when you moving over.
    PPS Email me if you want more clarification

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Wasnt a mosque burned down in Australia?

Also are there alot of Indians, Pakistanis, etc.?

6. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

what did richard williams say?
    sorry i dont follow cricket.
    ;)

i saw an episode of lonely planet where an aboriginal woman said not long ago they were categorised as floras and faunas by the government. but now everythings great though. malaysians who came back from there raved about how great the aussies are. real warm and laidback.

7. Band Geek Mobster

Which way does the water flow when you flush the toilet?

8. SmeggySmeg

R03,

yes a mosque was burnt down in brisbane, i suspect that reaction was triggered by our prime ministers turning away of a boat load of Afghani refugees the week before.

The public reaction to the burning of the mosque was actually very positive in terms of condemnation, it would appear in general the population can differentiate between terroists and those who believe in Islam.

There would be a reasonable number of Australians of Pakistan and Indian heritage, especially in Melbourne and Sydney.

Smeg

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Thanks for the info.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dunno Smeg, but stuff happening here at work has really gotten to me lately. I doubt I'll get out of here anytime soon; just keeping my options open. The melting pot of America is still a melting pot -- it just happens to be smoldering and burning in some areas.

11. davo

davo Contributing Member

I'll qualify this by saying I have now been away for 4 years. Biggest problems that faced me on a day to day basis would be the risk of crime, and meeting loan repayments as Smeg said. The "Great Australian Dream" of home ownership dominates the consumer economy, and as such a large proportion of people are at the mercy of interest rates. The Government has the advantage of being able to strongly influence spending by manipulating the interest rate.

Primary production is the dominant industry - mining & agriculture. "Australia rides on the sheeps back" was a popular and accurate phrase. There has long been a push to bring more secondary and tertiary industry to Australia, but it is happening slowly.

Race relations have been appalling in the past. Australi was a British Colony originally, and they indulged in a form of ethnic cleansing against the native Aboriginals. For a long time, our immigration policy was a "whites only". I'm not sure when it changed, but is was as recent as the 50's. I genuinely think things are better now, but I liken the aboriginal situation to the Native Americans. They have been forced to live in a Western culture that simply does not suit them, and they have suffered irreperable damage as a result.

Australia is an awesome place to live. We have a high standard of living, less pollution and violent crime than the USA (generally speaking) , good healthcare and education, and an outdoors lifestyle.

And we are excellent at sport

12. SmeggySmeg

You may have been away for a while but your comments still reign true, except for the west autralian football teams.

Smeg

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Smeg, do alot of senior citizens live in Austrailia? I only ask becuz I assume there are, with the warm weather you know.

14. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I just came back from a holiday on the Gold Coast, and it seems packed with 'Oldies'. It's probably correct to compare it to Florida.

Uhh....we just got our asses kicked by the NZ 'Tall Blacks'. Now, the Boomers miss out on playing in the World Championships for the first time in aobut 30 years. That's disgusting. :mad:

But Australia is a great place to live. The people are really nice (mostly), pollution is at a minimum, it's nearly Summer, and it's AFL Grand Final Week- does it get any better??? GO BRISBANE!!! KICK THE BOMMER's ASSES!!!! :D

15. SmeggySmeg

gr8-1,

Australia has an increasingly aging population.

Smeg

16. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

I heard about that.. How in the Blue Hell did that happen??

I'm with you gsn - GO Brisbane!!! (unfortunately the Blues aren't playing:D )

17. ScreamingRocketJet

Exact same as everyone everywhere else...work, money, relationships, life etc etc...

I live in Sydney...so I probably have a different perspective to the rest of the country (except Melbourne)
    Sydney is very...very...very multicultural. We have people from everywhere in the world. Greeks, Italians, Lebanese, Maltese, Chinese...everywhere. I myself am married to an Asian born woman. There is not much racism in Sydney, rather there is an embracement of different cultures. My office has people of all backgrounds...and there's brilliant food from everywhere in Sydney :)

Having said that...I agree with Smeg, our record with indigenous people is appalling. I studied indigenous land rights once and it was extremely disheartening. On the positive note, there are steps in place to rectify much of the past mistakes. (how many countries can say that about their indigenous populations?)

Sydney is an extremely modern, vibrant city. On the downside...it is bloody expensive.

The economy is okay...the $A sux...but we aren't in recession and everyone I know has a job at the moment (as opposed to a few years ago, when the couch and tv + something to smoke was our daily routine) ;)

All up...we are known as "the lucky country" for a reason. It's a very easy place to live.

Sorry this is brief...I am at work.

18. rompa

rompa Member

Americans are not welcome here, you will just bring your trouble with you.

19. ScreamingRocketJet

Speak for yourself Rompa...

Americans, like everyone else, are welcome...

In fact...the few I've met here have been really cool.

20. treeman

treeman Member

I've never met an Aussie I didn't like. I think if I had to put a number on that I'd say 6. Yes, 6...

Count one against for Smeg.

You're a student in Brazil, correct? For that reason I'll try not to count you in my long-term disliking... Aussies are always so nice and supportive of us, and I'll try to pretend that you're not trying to screw that up, Smeg.

If you think that our new enemies won't eventually try to hit you, then you are one dumb mother*ucker. They want to destroy Western Civilization, and you are a part of that target.

As soon as they realize that we're staging troops out of your country, Australia's a target.