1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Griffin officially signs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sane, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Sane

Sane Member

Rockets and rookie Eddie Griffin sign multiyear contract

September 19, 2001

HOUSTON (AP) -- Eddie Griffin, the seventh player picked in this year's draft, has signed a multiyear contract with the Houston Rockets.

Griffin, who averaged 17.8 points and 10.8 rebounds as a freshman at Seton Hall last season, was selected by the New Jersey Nets and traded to Houston for three first-round selections -- forward Richard Jefferson (No. 13 overall), center Jason Collins (No. 18) and guard Brandon Armstrong (No. 23).

Griffin, a 6-foot-9, 220-pound forward, ranked second in the nation last season in blocked shots, averaging 4.43 per game, and his rebounding was fifth best.

Under the NBA's rookie pay scale, Griffin gets $1.7 million for the first year. The Rockets refused to release the length of the package under team policy.

2. The Voice of Reason

must be nice to get paid 1.7 mill in your first job out of college. and he didnt even graduate.

damn, i need to meet a tall chick and have kids with her so i can live off their basketball prowess

now taking aplications....

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

As per terms of the collective bargaining agreement, the deal is worth $5.314 million over three years and includes a club option for a fourth season.

I like the deal.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Let's just hope this guy is at least half as good as everyone thinks he should be. Then, after the third contract year, they can rip up the current one and offer him the 'standard' seven year deal.

BTW, I'm not too familiar with the rules on signing players, but when did the seven year max rule take effect? For some reason, I want to say that Kevin Garnett was one of the first players to receive this type of deal...could be wrong though. I was just curious as to whether or not any players had actually 'served' their seven years.

5. The Voice of Reason

boom boom

actually im pretty sure that KGs contract is why this rule change came about if i remember.

i think the way rookies are treated in the NBA contractually is great. giving a unproven player gobs of money is crazy. hell im sure 1.7 feels like gobs of money to griff and most of the rookies.

didnt steve say that he is already making alot of money, so a max contract dosnt concern him, its winning that does...

i see these fotball rookies ink deals that are astounding. thats gotta change

6. Lewie221

Lewie221 Member

Yeah, I hope he can be as good as he should be...the only problem is, he's Tim Thomas' cousin, and Thomas could be WAY better than he is if he tried...let's hope that it doesn't run in the family...

7. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

From NBCSPORTS:
    Let's hope he does pan out to be a great player, because as scary as it might be, those numbers look like Marcus Camby's numbers in his first few years. Sorry, maybe its cuz when i lived in Toronto we had high hopes for him, and it didn't turn out quite like we wanted it to be.
    :eek:

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The problem with Marcus Camby was the guy was so freaking brittle, going back to his days at UMass. I remember when cold medicine knocked him unconscious, and this is some exaggerated fun I'm throwing at you, that's a fact. Marcus Camby is capable of far more then what he is doing even now. He is a rebounding machine, and blocks shots, but this guy should be one of the best all-around PFs in the NBA. He is only satisfied with being "just good enough".