1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How can you be religious?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dylan, Sep 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

This is it. I just don't understand anymore. How can anyone on this planet have faith in an omnipotent being? God, or Allah controls everything, right? He has a master plan for everything right? Nothing is too powerful for him right?

THEN WHAT SICK DIETY WOULD KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE?

What God would allow this to happen? How can the death of children, rescue workers, innocent people be part of some greater act?

I just don't understand anymore. I can not give praise and allegiance to such an awful being. You lost me on this one God. If you're out there, I don't like you very much.

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

God gave people free will. It's amazing, if good things happen people thank themselves and others, but when bad things happen instead of blaming themselves for it, they blame god.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I just don't understand this "Why does God let bad things happen"

This is a very selfish statement. Granted, nobody wanted this to happened, but where do you cross the line? I think we all expect God to be "Perfect" and "Almighty" all the time.

Yes, He is, but if used these, then none of us would have troubles. We would all have everything we want. Nobody would die. Nobody would get sick. We would not be miserable.

As RM said, its all about free will. With out it, it would be pointless to live.

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

The ollllllld problem of evil.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Ya know, I had this long spiel about believing in God and repenting your sins, but it seems that you're too far gone for that...Just remember two things...

you are mortal
    you will die

When Joe Black does come knocking on your door, just make sure you know where you're going...

6. Live

Live Member

Now I know everyone's very emotional, but realize that insanity and desperation caused this incident.

God could never be involved in nor should be linked to tragedies such as this.

My only hope is that all of his children who were murdered yesterday have moved on to a better place.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually, this is completely a religious attack.

The people in the middle east have been fighting for centuries over religion.

They are simply brats who are arguing about nothing.

More people have died in the name of God then any other cause.

Personally, I am a christian, and I believe that God lets us choose how to act, and we as a race are still to immature to realize that we need to work together, and that essentially we are all the same.

Hatred begats hatred, and right now, a lot of that is going around.

It is time to act, and to take out any government that is harboring Terrorists, simply put we have the power, USE IT !!

DaDakota

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

9. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Religion. Organized, man-made religion. Another waste of human life in the name of someone's God. If I am not mistaken, there have been more deaths because of religion than any other reasons combined.

This is the ultimate hate crime. This transcends race.

Truly sad.

10. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

DaDakota, I hope you look back on your posts differently someday when the anger subsides. You've been to other countries. I hope you can learn to see things from a non-Americentric view. Just remember this: Oklahoma City was the work of an American, even though everyone thought to the contrary. No one's entitled to tell you how to think and feel, and everyone has biases, but try to think about them before you go jumping to conclusions. You should NEVER lump any group of people or entities together as hard as it can be not to.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, I remember all those athletes blaming God for tripping them up behind the line of scrimmage or making them miss that free throw. :rolleyes:

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What exactly is your point? That a few people haven't blamed God when something bad happens to them?

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Hmmm...I wonder who Nick Anderson blamed...

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No, my point is that you always hear people thanking God when stuff like this happens. Yesterday, nearly every survivor that was interviewed thanked God. However, I didn't hear one single person blame God for letting this act happen.

RM post is typical Christian inferiority complex or paranoia. The fact of the matter is that most people thank God for good stuff and blame man for bad stuff, but when one person questions a loving God after a horrific tragedy like this, they jump all over them.

15. JAG

JAG Member

16. Band Geek Mobster

I don't know what planet you're from, but I ALWAYS hear people thank God for good things and hardly ever blame him when something bad happens.

17. WHAM!

WHAM! Member

Dylan and concerned others,

I am a Christian so I will do my best to explain to you how my faith would lead me to understand the tragic events of yesterday and tragic events in general. God created man and in the beginning the world was perfect and there was no sin. But God also gave man free will and the ability to make choices. When Adam and Eve were tempted and sinned and after that the world was not perfect anymore and all people became sinners. Now, to the best of my understanding from what I've read especially in Paul's letters, God's ultimate plan is to show us how much he loves us, how merciful he is, and how beautiful his grace is. Now, anything that sins will die. But, God loves his children and desires for them to have life so he sent his Son, Jesus down to earth in human flesh to teach us about God's love and also to ultimately take the punishment for our sins for us and allow us a way to have everlasting life by receiving Jesus as our saviour. Without Jesus, we would not only die in the flesh, but in the spirit also. Accepting Jesus as your saviour, cleanses you of your sins in God's eyes and makes you pure to him such that you might have everlasting life with him after you die. (Your flesh body however will die because it has sinned, the sins of your spirit/soul are forgiven by accepting Jesus as your saviour and thus allows for everlasting life in the Kingdom of God) Now, it is imortant to realize that God does not make bad things happen. Satan makes bad things happen. Satan tempts us into sin, churns hate and anger, and bad things. Satan cannot do anything that God does not allow him to do, BUT that does not mean that God makes bad things happen, or that he wants bad things to happen, or that he condones bad things happening. Satan is the one to turn away from, not God. Now, alot of people are inclined to ask why God would allow Satan to do bad things. This is a hard question. There are several answers and theories about this question including my own. I came to my understanding through Paul's letters. Keep in mind that we are all sinners and that really we don't deserve anything at all. NOTHING. We lust, hate, kill, deceive, etc. all the time, every day, each one of us sins in some way. You are alive today because of God's grace. He sent his only Son to die for you so that you could have everlasting life by believing in Him. God is like a Father to us. Just as your father punished you or was hard on you sometimes in order to teach you a lesson, sometimes God has lessons for us to learn also. We might not always understand his lessons, we might not know why people have to die, but Christians have faith that God's ultimate plan is good and for our benefit. A part of the Bible that I think was somewhere in Paul's letters that really strikes me is that God wants to show us how much he loves us and how merciful he is. I think this explains alot. I have no idea how merciful or loving God is, all I know is that it's greater than my imagination then that is something that I am head over heels in love with. Maybe bad things happen for our benefit. Maybe they happen so that people will open their eyes to the grace and mercy of God. I don't know where all the people who have lost their lives in tragedies have gone to, but I do believe that God's love and mercy is much greater than I could ever understand and I trust Him and his ways. I wouldn't want to be without Him, that's a pretty scary place to be. I am happy knowing that a much better place awaits me after I shed this body. God's ultimate plan is to destroy evil once and for all in His time. (McDowell 166, Answers to Tough Questions) I know it is hard for some people to understand and I am just a regular guy and probably don't have all the tools needed to answer all your questions. But, I have tried the best that I can and I hope that it helps in some way. I found a book at a Barnes and Noble bookstore (I'm sure you could find it other places too), called Answers to Tough Questions skeptics ask about the Christian faith by Josh McDowel and Don Stewart. If your interested or curious you could go to a bookstore and just look through it and see if it helps in any way. It's a really small book, fits in the pocket. Also, taking a look at Paul's letters and the Gospels can provide alot of insight and answers to lots of questions. And then of course I'm sure any clergy would be more than happy to talk to you if you wanted to ask them questions. Christians don't understand alot of things about God too. But, we have the facts of the Bible and we have faith in our saviour Jesus Christ, and we believe that God's love for us is more great than anything we could possible imagine. I'll leave you with one last quote: "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8, 9, NASB)

May God's grace find it's way into your hearts.:)

18. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Hmmm....to sit through a bad Brad Pitt movie with my wife? An extremely loooongggg Brad Pitt movie with my wife?

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The harsh truth of the matter is that God gave us a free will , He didnt tell those people to get on a plane that was going to crash .

Most people blame God for things like this , Why? Becasue he didnt stop it? Think about that 4th plane! What if it crashed right into the Sears Tower or The White House! You think It just crashed into a field in Pennslyvania with no one around by Accident? Did God take it down? Did the US? Was it Pilot Error?? Faith is meant to be shaken , Like everyone in this country was 24 hours ago . The whole purpose of Faith is not seeing and believing , If you dont have God who else are you going to turn to? At My Chruch last night it was overflowing with thousands of people praying to God that their families and all the families in the Country were safe! This isn't a time to be religious , This is a time to get down on your knees and pray to God .

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

n

#20 RocksMillenium, Sep 12, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2001