1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Great Wall vs. The Dream

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch City1993, Dec 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Take it easy. See how many older Lakers fans trashed Kobe when comparing
    him to Lakers great Magic and West.

2. supermike

supermike Member

I am totally on your side dude.

It's a shame that a administrator of a basketball forum tried to humiliate a member by assaulting his english skills.

It's a shame some people are biased enough dream would destory yao with ease, yao foulded out in 10 minutes blah blah....

It's a shame yao will still play for those biased fans for 5 years. it's just not worth. He should go to LA, play with Kobe.

3. OLDNEWS

OLDNEWS Member

ok,if you ignore what I say after that,I will tell you the only thing I watch about him is a jordan's highlight that jordan slam dunk on him.

4. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Then you will see people claiming how Yao would get fouled out in 3 mins
    against Wilt/Kareem/Shaq/Bryum :D

5. jetland

jetland Contributing Member

Totally agree with you. Looking at some of above posts bashing Yao like KS and CB, you just feel disappointed and that it is not worthy it for Yao playing heart out for these people.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Yeah, because the Rockets have only been around for 5 years. Oh wait, no they haven't. Hakeem is the greatest Rocket to ever live. He is the first athlete to bring a major sports championship to Houston. It isn't that we don't like Yao, we LOVE Yao. I wouldn't trade him for anyone not named LaBron in the entire league. But don't go asking questions about who is better between Yao and Dream and expect anything else. Hakeem brought it for over 15 years. 15 YEARS!! What is idiotic about this is that we are arguing with people that have not been raised on basketball or the Houston Rockets. YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I watched hundreds of Dream's games. You have seen highlights and stats on a webpage. So don't go giving us this "Oh poor Yao" bull**** because we know that Dream was a better player. There are only a handful of players EVER that are on par or better than Dream. Does that mean that Yao won't get there? Absolutely not. Do we as (real) Rockets fans want him to be that good? Absolutely YES! Your whining is insulting to (real) Rockets fans.

8. MandM's

MandM's Member

I think Yao is great but Olajuwon would leave him frustrated and punching his hand. Different styles. But great in their own way. With Dream doing it for a long, long time.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

good job on having a selective memory. you remember the threads being started by some troll but i'm pretty sure you are forgetting all the people that bash the people that start those threads.

secondly we don't feel like yao is trash. we love yao. i don't know why you are just making crap up. he is just not in hakeem's league and he will never be. that is not disrespect to yao. yao can still be great and not be in hakeem's league. clyde drexler was a great player but jordan was still easily better than clyde.

if yao proves us otherwise then i will be the happiest person in the world. i will be happy for yao proving everyone wrong because he is one of the hardest workers in the game and he deserves all the success he is having now.

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I don't care. You think what you want. It's just ridiculous for you make assumptions about something you don't know anything about. I've watched the Rockets for almost 30 years. You have been a "fan" for 5. How much NBA did you watch prior to Yao getting to the US? Exactly, not much. Back to my original point, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

We need tinman in this thread.

11. DaDream

DaDream Member

no compete,,,,,,, Yao best player ever. Dunk on Dream & go boom. ....Moon blow up. happy yay dunk time. !!!!

12. OLDNEWS

OLDNEWS Member

you are still ignoring what I said.
    I can understand hareem is as good as duncan but not a omnipotent god.
    will you tell me the league decline.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i agree with you on a couple points. but i don't know if clutch realized that the guy was not a native english speaker. he may have just thought he was an american who couldn't speak english very well.

i agree yao would not foul out in 10 minutes, but he would struggle to stay out of foul trouble if he was forced to guard hakeem. yao would get some points and get some rebounds, but hakeem would ultimately dominate. don't forget hakeem completely dominated a great defensive player in robinson. i don't think a lot of the chinese posters realize how great of a player david robinson was and hakeem just embarrassed him. that doesn't mean d-rob didn't score points or gather rebounds...it just means that when you looked at the entire series hakeem did anything he wanted to d-rob.

finally, how are we biased by saying hakeem easily better than yao? it's just a fact. jordan was easily better than a lot of great players, but that doesn't mean they weren't great players. yao will never be hakeem. there will never be another hakeem but that doesn't mean we don't love yao.

some of you guys go overboard with the poor yao thing. even yao would tell you that he doesn't compare to hakeem and his accomplisments. and for the millionth time...that doesn't mean yao is not good. you poor yao guys need to understand this.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1sS_wiIfL4&mode=related&search=

and hakeem was better than duncan is.

damn it tinman get in this thread and help out.

15. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

deleted.

#195 barryxzz, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Nuff Said!!!!

Never underestimate the heart of a champion!!!!

Just remember what Hakeem did to get that second ring....

All I can is "The Quest"

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This thread is an instant classic. Watching some of Yao's fans get offended by a group of fans in a certain region of the world who consider a Houston Rocket center "their God" is probably one of the funniest things I've ever read. Is there any bigger irony that the BBS can possibly provide?

Here are more comparison threads for these guys to swarm:

Yao Ming vs. Michael Jordan
    Can Jordan write check? I didn't think so.

Yao Ming vs. King Kong
    I'll give you that Kong's big, but no way he stops Yao's fadeaway... and remember: Kong had problems with Godzilla early in his career.

Yao Ming vs. Confucious
    I'm sorry, but the whole "How does a blade of grass thank the sun" thing may be the deepest statement in existence.

Yao Ming vs. Mother Teresa
    Did you people even SEE Yao at the "Read to Achieve" special? And come on now, MT wasn't THAT charitable.

1 person likes this.
  18. langal

langal Contributing Member

These are fun sports arguments. No one should get too mad.

I think some of the older Rocket fans are understably very nostalgic and exaggerating Hakeem's skills.

I don't think any of us YOFs are saying that Yao is better or even equal to Hakeem. We just think that he wouldn't foul out in ~10 minutes and have half his shots blocked.

Hakeem's best was probably around 27/13/4 blocks. I'm am guessing his opponents probably averaged around 12 pts, 7 boards versus him and did not half have their shots blocked. Why would Yao do worse than this? I think he would do a lot better. Also why would Hakeem have an easier time on the offensive end vs Yao than the average center?

I am a YOF but I did watch a lot of NBA in the 80s and 90s. Believe me, Yao was a LOT better than Alton Lister. I think Hakeem would get his averages and Yao would get around 22 points on 8-20 shooting and probably around 8 rebounds. I don't consider that domination. Outplayed? definitely. Embarrassed? No.

19. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

It is unfair to compare Yao at the beginning of his 5th season to what Hakeem has accomplished in his whole career.

There is an obvious disconnection of Houston fans perception of Hakeem and the two championships with that of the fans in the rest of the world. Houston fans revere Hakeem almost as god, while many of the rest of world discount those two championships for the obvious reason and Hakeem is normally ranked behind Wilt, Russel, Kareem, or even Shaq.

20. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

it's possible the league declines at center position. just remember dream at least cancelled out o'neal when the latter was at or was entering his prime (i don't think o'neal improved much skillwise after he entered the league); and dream beat both david robinson and ewing soundly in playoff series.

also remember that dream is all-time block leader by a wide margin (i know block was not recorded in russel's years, still, dream is up there). if you look at his highlights (other than Jordan dunking on him, :cool: , you do realize Jordan has been blocked more than one time in his career, if you ONLY rely on highlights, I am sure someone can compile a mix of jordan being blocked, that doesn't mean much, right?), you can see why someone thinks yao would be dominated.

I am a Chinese and Yao Ming fan and came to this forum because of him. I don't find it insulting that someone believed yao would be no match to one of the all-time great centers. i think they are wrong, but yao still has to prove himself. Do you know people STILL questioned Rockets' championship quality because of Jordan's retirement? And Jordan was criticized as a player who could pad the stats but couldn't lead the team to championship? My point is a player would be judged not only by his individual stats, but also his team's record. that is just life. i am confident yao will prove his greatness, but until then i think it's fair that people will be doubtful of him. yao is a man, he can handle that. as fans, we don't need to be over-sensitive about some harsh or exaggerating comments. any real basketball fans KNOW that yao is the top 3 if not top 1 center in the world, especially rocket fans. :)

edit: i know fans around the world know much more about jordan than other players. i was attracted to nba because of jordan. that's because how much nba marketed him (not that he didn't deserve it). if you consider jordan a basketball god, just know that jordan himself would pick hakeem on his dream team to play along, and said in his own book that it's unfair people question rockets' championship (though he also said that had always been the way people think, that's why he knew he had to beat either magic or bird while at least one of them was still at their prime to prove himself to the world).

#200 barryxzz, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006