1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

YOF vs. YOF

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wizkid83, Dec 2, 2006.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Excuse me but where did johnxi mention anything about Chinese in his posts prior to this one of yours? What's this garbage all about?

2. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

I have not been a Rockets fan. I have not been a Tracy McGrady's fan. In fact, I have not played basketball when I was young or know basketball before.

I only became a Rockets fan after Yao Ming joined the Rockets.

I spent hours each day following Yao Ming's every move on-court and off-court on the cyberspace for the past 5 years.

And I got upset and depressed whenever I read those constant d@ssing and bashing of Yao Ming on basketball forums and media.......

But still, I was sad when I learnt that Yao Ming and Steve Francis split ways, and my heart popped out from my mouth when I saw Tracy MGrady fell down like a strawman after he got hit by Deke.

Cos I knew, as great a human being, as great a basketball player with such skills, such work ethic, such motivation, and such professionalism as Yao Ming, he is not God or Superman, and he will still need his team mates to be good, and each one of them play their role in order to reach and fulfill his ultimate dream........NBA championship !!!

So I have stopped being upset/frustrated/angry/reactive when I read those "Yao is soft..." "Yao sucks"......"Yao got butterfingers" comments.

So which category of YOF am I ?? :rolleyes:

3. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

pryuen, this is a stupid thread created by an attention whoring moron. One effective way to counter YOF name calling is to throw YOH back at them.

It works like a charm. Believe me.

#43 wnes, Dec 3, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  4. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

YOF are annoying. They accuse you of being a racist or having an agenda for critiquing anything, and always believe Yao as the solemn hero fighting against American capitalism and excess. Yao succeeds in the NBA despite being gentle and not beating his chest like "other" players.

YOF's are as annoying or more annoying then those people who say Yao sucks or JVG sucks. They are just two sides of the same coin.

I'm a fan of basketball. Probably more of a Rockets fan because i don't watch basketball now unless it's the playoffs or the NCAA's outside of regular season Rockets games. But man....I like Yao personally, and see his game evolving, but boy - is it maddening to deal with the cry babies sometimes. Some people are critical of Yao - just deal with it. They have a right to their criticism. Yao has his flaws. He's not perfect. You want perfections? THen you look at Dream. Or Russell. But no one else is above criticism.

End of story. And hopefully end of this thread.

5. NewYorker

How many dominant centers are around the league?

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The question is why a YOF would mind trading Yao? By "definition" (if there is one), YOF goes where Yao goes and doesn't have special affection for any particular team.

7. cmellon

cmellon Member

I like Juwanaman over any other Rocket's player. I hope he starts over Chuck Hayes, gets 35 minutes on average, and become the first offensive option. He should get at least 20 touches per game. JVG sucks for not recognizing the potential of Juwanaman :mad:

I hope I get respect here and don't get labeled as JOF.

8. johnxi

johnxi Member

Wow, I am speechless. Do you know that this thread started out bashing YOF? not the other way around.

9. johnxi

johnxi Member

I may disagree with you, but I would not call you JOF for sure. Do you love people call you names?

10. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

YOFs are annoying, and so are people like you who throw out the YOF label when you are losing in a debate. You all are idiots.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whoa Gilligan.

Let me explain to you guys:

1. Vince Young is one of us. He grew up in Houston and is a Rockets fan. he brought glory to this city state and the every little kid in the hoods all over the world. you dont have to be some dan marino type QB to be successful. you can stunt all over everybody and make everyone eat crow.
    Imagine if any of us, me, Dakota, Cohen, Meowgi, became successful and went somewhere else, would you hate on us? your fellow Rocket fan?

2. YOFers just need to be educated about the rich history of the Rockets. That's the only gripe I have against them. They need to know that Ralph Sampson was awesome and comparing Yao to any legend like Ralph or Moses or Elvin or Dream is a compliment.
    They need to know what #11 means. What the Kevin Johnson, Dan Marle, John Starks, what #11 did to them. #11 is a sacred number like #34. The only reason Yao has been more agressive is because that #11 is taking over him so that there is no difference between him and the number.
    #11 means, I dont care if you are MICHAEL JORDAN or SHAQ, have some. have some!!

12. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Thank you for telling us what #11 means..... that is deep !! :rolleyes:

I just know that the only reason Yao Ming chose #11 when he joined the Rockets was 11 when pronounced in Mandarin is Yi Yi....and its abbreviation is therefore YY.....which is Yao + Ye (Yao Ming & Ye Li, his girl friend), and that Ye Li's jersey number in the national team used to be 11 !!! :eek:

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is destiny.

look:

YAO

subtract the Y and O
    replace it with M and XWELL

dont you see???

14. almostReady

almostReady Member

Strange thread.

Yao is doing great. And the few clowns (naturally, a very small number) in media and on this BBS can do NOTHING about it. That's the beauty! Hahaha...... I am enjoying every moment of their circus show.

I can name the names of those morons in media, but don't want to do that to our fellow members here. Believe me I have seen them in the past.

Yao is playing great, Yao fans are happy and loud. Take that, s**kers. LOL.

15. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Were 11-5 and have the struggling warriors to come and have 4 pretty easy roadtrip games coming up.we can easily be around the 16 and 5 mark in a couple of weeks. lifes good. stop bickering amongst you'reselves.

16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Y'all just need to realize that there are two very distinct and different camps:
    1. The media knuckleheads and the non-Houstonian masses that have little knowledge of Yao outside of the things they read in the paper and see on SportsCenter that have a hard time acknowledging Yao's strengths and instead continually insist on pointing out his flaws. These people are your enemy.
    2. The rest of us who are actually educated by watching Yao, many of us are Rockets fans who know that Yao has been the best center in the league for at least a year now. We get angry when Yao gets overlooked and belittled by the press and by the opposing announcers. We're on your side. To come in and attack us is insulting, and you will not be treated with kindness. But understand that our loyalty is to the team first, and not any particular player.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Whoa now. The Minny game starts a 10/12 on the road stretch over 21 days that could get ugly. I'm cautiously optimistic but remember how inconsistent we are, especially late in games.

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

For the record...

* Les Alexander could sell the Rockets this morning and I wouldn't care.
    * Jeff Van Gundy could quit coaching again and go back to TV right before the Warriors game and I wouldn't care.
    * Daryl Morey could take a job with the US government working on some theoretical physics problem and I wouldn't care.
    * Carrol Dawson could decide he's had enough and leave this afternoon and I wouldn't care.
    * Rockets management could make a blockbuster trade of McGrady, Battier and Chuck Hayes and I wouldn't care.
    * If the Rockets traded Yao away...I'd care.

However, the failure of certain "fans" to not see the difference in the same game of how Yao is defended is annoying as hell. The Cavs (amazingly) single covered Yao with Ilgauskus and Varejao in the first half and defended the perimeter. In the second half, the Cavs doubled quickly and left the perimeter open for shots and drives. If you don't see the difference of what was happeneing on the court and complain about Yao's 2nd half shots...you might be a YOF.

19. NewYorker

Seriously - no one should have anything to complain about last nights game except that Deke's elbows are a hazard and should come with warning labels.

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Operative word being "shouldn't". :)

But last nights' game spanned the width of how Yao is defended...that was my point.