1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming Named Player of the Month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by askball, Dec 1, 2006.

1. almostReady

almostReady Member

it's nice to learn the lesson and be smarter next time. people get together in this feel good thread to congrat yao and rockets for this well deserved award. leave those (imo) garbage in other threads, if you want.

btw, congrat to Yao and **** irk.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its not so much 'slighting' Yao's accomplishment or giving credit to another deserving player, its a gosh darn MAVERICK lol. Next worst thing would be saying congrats to Yao but player of the month should go to Josh Howard. Woulda liked to have seen THAT reaction :p

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no

he was just tryin to say he felt that maybe someone else may have deserved it .

this is his opinion and he has every right to make it.

he wasnt disrespectful to anyone he was debating with,and said nothing that deserved the nasty comments from all the noobs in this thread.

a good debate is never offtopic...and if a thread about a player getting POTM is not the place to debate whether he deserved it or not...I dont know what is.

4. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

Congratulations

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Honestly....

I think Juwan should have won "Player of the Month Award".

Had Juwan been starting alongside Yao for the whole month, Yao would have never put up those awesome numbers!

Keep Juwan out of NBA court and at your local Sunglass Hut and Yao will prosper!

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Er, I am not going to make a big deal of the fact that you missed the quotation marks around "make case," but I do want to point out that you brought Duncan and Boozer into the initial debate between Yao and Dirk.

LOL, if sidetrack doesn't work then start to backpedal?

This is what you said, "Yao's turnovers are also unacceptably high. And that's not nitpicking either ... we're the 27th worst team in turnovers."

Anyone with some basic reading skill can see you unmistakably pinned Yao for his share of turnovers to the team's total.

Further, a little fact check tells me the stats you cited above are erroneous.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stati...=2007&seasontype=2&avg=pg&order=false&split=0

With 15.4 turnovers per game, Houston is ranked 15th in the league, slightly worst than San Antonio, which has 14.6 turnovers per game and is ranked 12th.

Don't worry -- I believe you made an honest mistake and I won't accuse you a liar who makes stuff up to win argument on Internet. :)

But still, by stictly apple-to-apple comparison, Yao's 3.8 TOs per game accounts for 24.7% of the team total, while Duncan "contributes" 24.9% of total team turnovers with his 3.63 TOs per game.

How can you single out Yao but leave Duncan alone while trying to create the impression Yao is biggest turnover machine in the history NBA?

A little consistence and intellectual honesty in debate aren't too much to ask for, are they?

Sure you didn't intend to go into in-depth comparison of the two players, but the pattern in your various posts couldn't be clearer -- you did painstakingly play down Duncan's shortcomings while overemphasizing his values to his team, when it comes to Yao, you simply switch the other way.

Note POM is not the same as PER competition, otherwise Hollinger would have been THE undisputed NBA stats god. To be simultaneously ranked in top 10 in two of the most important unmassaged statistical categories in NBA, PPG at remarkably high FG%, AND RPG, is enough to convince most people in the NBA cirle that Yao is the POM. (uh, not the PER winner of the month)

Seriously, I don't know how you can congratulate someone for something he doesn't deserve. It's OK to say Yao is overrated. You don't need to be pretentious on this board.

7. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

It's good to see that Yao is continuing to get the attention he deserves.

Great news!

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why don't you quote everything I said:

I didn't make a mistake. You're citing turnovers per game. Considering that Houston plays at one of the slowest paces in the league, that doesn't make too much sense. I judge how turnover prone a team is by their turnovers committed per possession (source)

*Yawn* I'm not going to repeat myself.

Now you're accusing me of being dishonest. :rolleyes:

This is complete distortion. How about you read my posts, in order, and take note of what exactly I was responding to. I'm not going to waste time repeating myself.

Is Player of the Month a PPG/RPG contest? I didn't realize that.

You think points per game and rebounds per game are somehow better indicators of who's playing well than PER. I disagree. No point going back and forth on that topic here.

Now I'm pretentious (in addition to being dishonest) for congratulating Yao?

I'd like others to chime in. Which one of us is being the "troll" and trying to pick a fight here?

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I am actually in total agreement with you, and saw I didnt word things the best way. I knew durvasa was just shedding some light (which is why I put quotes around "slighting".)

All I was saying is of all alternatives to Yao it had to be a guy from the dreaded team up north. And it didnt matter if Dirk's at 50 points 20 boards a game, just the fact its Dirk a player the Rockets supposedly exposed 2 years ago in the playoffs and it being a Dallas guy its gonna people's emotions riled up. (Cuz of course no one in here was going off factual evidence to why Yao should have gotten it, only being homers). I could be off, just my opinion on top of an opinion.

10. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

That just made me crack up. LOL.

Keep the jokes coming.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Im sorry for not being clear myself....when Im wanting to make a point directed to multiple posters in a thread I'll make it in response to someone that is talking about what I want to say.
    You happened to be referring to the subject at hand, so I quoted you.

I apologize if you thought I was preaching at you, it really wasnt intentional. :)

12. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

I'm not going to read this thread from the beginning, but what exactly is your argument for Dirk being the "real" POM?

I hope you didn't try to use impact on the game, because Dirk is the better complete player right now and the Mav's are a much better team at this point in time, but Yao obviously impacts Houston's game more on both the offensive and defensive side, especially with T-Mac's early season rust and struggles. Only a Mav's fan would not be able to see that.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

if he wasnt willing to repeat himself for someone who has been inthe thread from the beginning...why do you think he would reward your intellectual laziness with his argument?

just suffice to say...he isnt being a hater (god I HATE that word)
    he has statistical evidence behind his opinion (which is more than I can say for lots of ppl here)

go back and read it...then if you think he is wrong...come back with facts and logic to prove him wrong.

14. boby

boby Member

I don't mean to disrupt however now that you asked, I have to say you are the person who wants to pick up a fight with everyone here. Motivation? To show how cool, unique you are?
    If you go to your friend's birthday party, you made an smart and insightful comment like:‘ my dear friend, you are getting old and going to drop dead one day.' You might be right and also showed how cool you are, however I am pretty sure you won't be invited to your friend's next party any more.
    Of course, you won't be so stupid because your mom might already told you don't make such kind of comments when you were 5 years old.

15. durvasa

In a nutshell, I think his individual numbers are better, his team is obviously better, and his On/Off impact appears significantly stronger as well. Yao is certainly in the running, top 3 or 4, I just think Dirk had a better month.

Yao is a better defensive player, sure. In this league, I think what Dirk brings to the table (overall) has a little more value. Let's just leave it at that.

16. durvasa

Expressing an opinion on a message board that isn't popular now equates to wanting to pick a fight. Great.

17. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

I don't agree with that. Dirk helps Dallas's offense tremendously, but the they are not as dependent on him as much as Rockets are on Yao. The main reasoning behind that is that the Mav's have a handful of guys that can create shots on their own without any help from Dirk, while the Rockets have none outside of Mcgrady. The shots for Head, Battier, etc. are generated from the system from which Yao is attacting all kinds of attention from the opposing time. + and - stats may be one thing ( I think Dirk has better +- right now) but trust me, when Yao is missing from any extended period of time, the Houston offense is completely stagnent, with Mcgrady struggling the way he is. Which is why almost every game Yao has been in foul trouble, the Rockets had to deal with an early deficet, and a eventual loss; while Dallas, on the other hand, can win with Dirk not finishing games and/or playing significant minutes.

Defensively, no knock on Dirk, he's the weak link of the Dallas defensive. In fact, I don't think it's a far stretch to call Dirk a more atheletic, 7'', white version of Juwan Howard. But Dirk is a much better flopper than Juwan, which I guess can be argued as defense in today's NBA.

18. durvasa

You make some nice points. I would respond further, but apparently that's not allowed here.

19. boby

boby Member

Can someone honestly answer one question please?
    Which team can do better in this league, current Mavs without Dirk or current Rockets without Yao?

20. cook

cook Member

I found a Dirk only fan.lol