1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming Named Player of the Month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by askball, Dec 1, 2006.

1. rox2007

rox2007 Member

Sign...

Would u just shut for minutes?!

Let's cheer for our Big Fella!
    He brought to us the POM that we missed for years!

I dont care who deserves!!!! :mad:

2. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

Nice, congrats to Yao. Hope he leads rockets to the champion with T-Mac and others' strong support, also ref's fairness :D

3. terse

terse Member

Not so. Assuming 50% shooting accuracy, the difference between Dirk's and Yao's turnovers (2.07 and 3.80 per game, respectively) results in a difference of less than one point per game. I don't even have to look up anything to know that Dirk gives up way more than one point on D, relative to Yao.

In addition, it's difficult to measure how hard the Mavs are working to cover up for Dirk's defensive deficiencies (doubling his man, for example). That helps Dirk's numbers but takes away from overall team defence.

It's equally hard to measure how much Yao's defence helps his teammates and hurts his numbers: he comes way out to chase guards, for example, which means his man scores more than he should.

Overall, I'm taking Yao, thanks.

Absolutely. Yao's backup is good at D, to say the least (Deke on a good day can still be overwhelming). Dirk's backup totally sucks at O and D.

4. boby

boby Member

Obviously someone outside the league in this bbs is arguing. :(

5. terse

terse Member

Oops, I meant "results in a difference of roughly one point per game".

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Dirk's gotten PotM at least 2 times already. It might be another 10 years before a Rocket gets it again, ENJOY IT this time.

7. eoloe

eoloe New Member

Get It Again.

GO GO GO!!!!!

8. terse

terse Member

Instead of considering how well Yao's teammates shoot from the field overall, how about focusing only on 3-pointers? Because this is what Yao's passouts should result in: lots of 3's.

By the way, where can I get overall team-by-team stats for this season?

9. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

Grats to Yao, this's a steal. I thought Dirk would get it and he deserved it more.

10. iglesias

iglesias New Member

congrats Yao! big fella Go :D :)

11. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

I am glad to see Yao recognized!!!

12. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

Congratulations, Yao!

and to those Mavs fans on the board: No! Dirk does not deserve more for this award. It's not even close!

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Congratulations to Yao. We know you deserve this award the most. Go Rockets.

14. hangxy

hangxy Member

which in america is considered offensive.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Alright. I think you overestimate Dirk's defensive deficiencies, and underestimate Yao's defensive deficiencies. That differential isn't as big as you make it out to be. Further, a Yao-centered offense results in turnovers beyond what is specifically credited to Yao. The Rockets often waste away several possessions a game unsuccessfully trying to get the ball to Yao. That will rarely happen for a wing player like Dirk.

Didn't mean for this to turn into a long discussion that takes up space on this thread. But as long as people keep arguing with it, I have to argue back. For those who are annoyed by my comments, I apologize.

16. tsunami

tsunami Member

Why you want others to shut up? I think He did have a point. And I agree with that. I like Yao, but Dirk is better now, that's no doubt. I hope one day Yao will surpass Dirk.

17. hangxy

hangxy Member

He is a MAV fan inside. :D

18. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix Member

hi, my fellow rox fans:

this is really an exciting moment4me, this is the 1st time that i'm named of pom, thanks4ur congrats! thanks2jvg, thanks2tmac&all my team-mates! i couldn't made it without those guys' help, i knew recently it was always the topic that who the best center is in nba now, and i still believe shaq is the no.1 though u dear fans named me the best. i know the big cluth forum and i browse it now and then, thanks4all ur advices, praise also criticism...i will keep on training hard and winning more and more, the 1st month is just the beginning, it passed quickly, i am used to looking forward to the next game, so u dear fans just wait to see a hot game, let me show u what the pom will do.

yao ming

...this is yao's speech i guess :D ...btw, like some of guys said in the thread, we d't give a **** to the word "chinaman", the best way to shut them up is to play awesome games, the best way to handle a blame is to play hard and beat ur opponents, not quarrel.

19. terse

terse Member

Ditto.

20. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Great job Yao. Who let all the mavs fans in? Yao didn't steal any from dirk nowinzski.