1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Astros Offer Deals to Lee and Soriano

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What does one have to do with the other?

Who has said this?

2. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

The Diamondbacks are listening to offers on catcher Johnny Estrada, as first reported by Newsday.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/11/17/friday.scoop/index.html

I think Estrada would be a good choice to help balance the offense instead of it being so reliant on the 3,4,5 hitters. Solid hitter, we still maintain good defense at the position, and won't be over priced like a barajas or molina. D'backs probably want pitching in return.

Also, if the Lee/Soriano thing fails, I would really hope the stros look into a trade for manny ramierez- his 17 mill seems like a bargain nowadays.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Wow.. you say that the whole bbs doesn't know what they're talking about, and you come in with this.. I'm thinking there's a 99% chance that IF we manage to sign Soriano, it won't be to play SS. He was a below-par 2nd baseman, and he had a solid year in LF. I don't think anyone would want him manning SS..

4. tested911

tested911 Member

Texanskan I'm confused are you saing we have a problem with FIELDING??
    Have you looked at fielding stats as a team compared to others were in the top 5-10 in alot of Fielding categories.. I don't think there is a problem in Fielding at all... Its hitting and it's been the problem for the past 3-5 years...

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

throw in a hopefully cheap woody williams to pitch in clemens spot, and i agree.

lee plus a full year of huff with either biggio bouncing back or burke getting more ABs upgrades this offense significantly.

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

u know...if i didnt know u better, id think u were full o' sarcasm

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

well, since you do know me well, you know i'm full of somethin'

soriano ain't a SS. you don't replace the best defensive SS in the game with a guy who can't field 2B.

8. Buck Turgidson

2 years.

9. MadMax

and one of those years we went to the mother farkin World Series!!! :D

10. Buck Turgidson

Hey, if his fantasy league says Soriano can play short, then Soriano can play short, got it?

11. MadMax

Admiral VORP said so.

12. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Come on if you watch all the Astros games you should know last year we had players all over the place playing out of position and regardless od fielding % we gave up plenty defensively

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

you've now posted this twice, so let me state very clearly: soriano CANNOT play SS; it would be an absolute disaster.

and how many years do you think lee is gonna ask for? i'd take 2-3 nice seasons on a 4-year deal considering he's 30, wouldn't you?

(yawn)

uhm.... lee's 3-year average prior to his contract year: .287/31/108/.844; lee's contract year: .300/37/116/.895.

lee's been consistently very good for four consecutive seasons; he's by no means a walk year wonder.

14. MadMax

what? defense was a bright spot on this team.

up the middle, where it counts most, we were really, really good. you can do a lot worse than ausmus, everett and willy playing at the critical defensive spots.

luke scott is an adventure in the field...i'll give you that one. lance is fine at first. huff is fine at 3B or a corner OF spot. biggio could definitely be upgraded defensively with burke.

but overall, defense was not the problem.

15. texanskan

I know people on this board know what they are talking about because I am on here everyday, I just think folks (just like Astros management) is saying lets get someone to get someone and not looking at the big picture that is constructing a 25 man roster to compete.

If you think the Astros are 1 player away you are crazy this team has lots of holes so that is what I meant I did not mean to make folks think that I don't respect others thoughts on this board because I do I just think ya'll are siping the Carlos Lee/Soriano kool aid thats it.

16. MadMax

of course you have to address other things. i think the singular most important question is who is going to make up our starting rotation.

17. Buck Turgidson

That wasn't even the best part, though. It was this:

coming within 18 months of the Astros commiting 13 years & $190 million dollars to 2 of their own free agents.

18. tested911

tested911 Member

And do you know how many games we have lost by not scoring 1 run

19. texanskan

Man I am not saying he is/or could be a great SS, I am saying lets spend the money right! SO IF WE DID BRING HIM IN WHAT IS THERE PLAN? If you want to just upgrade the offense than heck put him at short.

If I were GM I would not sign a corner outfielder unless I upgraded my starting pitching, catcher and the left side of the infield first if we did that and signed Lee it would be landyap.

I say go to battle with Pence, Scott and Willy T and focus someplace else.

Now yes Everret is a very good shortstop but to be able to cover up his bat the Astros would need two offseasons of moves.

20. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Okay, now you've finally convinced me that.....

your plan is terrible