1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Spurs @ Rockets 11/14/2006

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

Also, Snyder needs more minutues and more touches at the ball. He's so good at getting to the basket. He's like a cheaper and not as talented version as T-mac, ever with his struggles at shooting. :rolleyes:

2. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

Let us hope we win most games left in the month if not all of them, and we should.

3. MONON

MONON Member

This game proves that we aren't THERE yet! We didn't have that killer instinct needed to close it out in the 3rd & 4th quarters. We had it at Miami, but not at home against the Spurs. We also lost our composure when we lost our shooting touch. We didn't have Hayes or Bonzi.

This is just 1 game early in the season. We will be there at the end of the season when we get our players back & working together.

4. Fichte

Fichte Member

Hello, long-time lurker, random poster.

A couple of points about the responses so far:

Like Lakers fans, the majority of Rockets fans are quick to credit JVG for the team's loss, largely because he didn't use the rotation the fans wanted (rookies), but not when they win. Doesn't matter if the Rockets were playing well with the same rotation. Along comes one game, and suddenly it is the culprit! JVG is automatically the scapegoat when things go wrong, and he gets absolutely no credit for anything positive whatsoever. Coaches get far more credit for losses than victories, but generally, they are overrated, and the best they can do is adjust between games, determine the most effective rotation and install systems during training camp.

Like Lakers fans, Rockets fans cannot muster the honesty to give credit the opposing team for their presence or efficiency. They are all too happy to blame their own players for missing shots, as if they miss on purpose, no matter if the other team is a great defensive powerhouse.

Like Lakers fans, Rockets fans have a persecution complex: they think every refree is out to intentionally throw games in order to make things difficult, and never mind if their incompetence actually affects the opposing team.

Why am i referring to Lakers fans? They are much worse than Rockets fans, and if you visit lakerstalk.net, and read the posts of a notorious butcher, you will see what i mean.

Solution? Stop being Lakers fans and stop wearing red-and-white goggles, and stop the armchair quarterbacking that only proves exactly just how hindsight is 20/20, and how useless it is.

What we should do is explain why we loss, objectively, rather than point fingers and blame to our hearts' content. Sometimes the explanations are the furthest thing away from what we would like to hear.

If you asked me, the reason the Rockets lost yesterday was because of experience, championship-type experience that withstood large deficits in the past and poise. One team had it, and the other didn't.

5. Zinc

Zinc Member

Good points, yet I think these attributes are kinda typical for most basketball or sports fans in general: Over-optimistic, impatient, and hypercritical. Nothing wrong with that thou, we are just fans being fans, that is what we do, and hopefully Coaches and players take care of the business. Fans just want to have some fun. Enjoy the show for now when we are winning, and do not get to carried away when we are down, since there won't be another Yao-Mac duo for Rox in next decades or so. :p

6. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

I went to the game last night and was wondering if anyone saw Bonzi at the game....was he shown on TV? I'm tired of the rockets saying that they are waiting until he is in shape to play him. Obviously, unless you are a moron, you don't believe that. I haven't seen him on the bench (correct me if i'm wrong), but if you are out of shape, why can't you sit on the bench and support the team like Sura and hayes (both there). Are we ever going to see bonzi, or has this rift gone too far and we are goig to trade him because maybe he refuses to play for us. this is exactly what yu get with bonzi. I don't understand why they just don't tell us what is going on instead of blatantly telling lies.

Anyways, the 2nd half was horrible. TMAC played horrible inthe 2nd half as did Yao. We needed some Head and didn't get any (always bad when you need it/want it and don't get it, have to have it).... ;) Battier hustled as usual but missed some key 3 point shots where he was open. I agree, we should have used Novak a little when we couldn't buy a bucket. I'm just hoping this loss doesn't linger. it will be hard to recover from but we got the bulls coming in tomorrow night. We'll see how this team reacts to a little adversity....I think we will be ok...

7. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

Also, forgot to make one point.....We weren't able to win when most of the Spurs had an off game...parker barely showed up and we still coulnd't win. Imagine what would happen if Parker, Manu, and Duncan were on there game. That could be bad news if we face them again or maybe its a credit to our defense....but they all hit big shots down the stretch when they needed it...thats championship team for you...

Also, I never realized how much I hated Manu till last night...his flopping is almost as bad as Vlade...Thats not bball..hw can you live with yourself doing that kind of crap..I don't care if it helps you win, that is a lack of integrity..its cheating if you ask me...and the worst part is Refs fall for it every time and its so blatant...I HATE Balki!! :mad:

8. Zinc

Zinc Member

:D I like Manu for his passion and mentality, yet when he is on fire or did some good drive, when walk off the court for the timeout, he walks like a jackass (shaky upper body with shoulders), or maybe it is just me.
    But fair to say, we need someone like him on Rox, see if Bonzi can fit that gap.

9. conquistador#11

I feel your pain,the refs should be handing out yellow cards.the flopping is a dimension of the game that the foreigner brings to the NBA.V-span knows how to use it to his advantage aswell....but wait he is on the bench...grrrr!!

10. yaominn

yaominn Member

this game was kind of special and we should learn how to deal with it in the future:
    1: yao was off and not aggressive from the start
    2: tmac was hot from the start
    3: alson made some quick jumpers in the first 3 Q

so even when we led by as many as 19pts, we did not really play "the new rocket bball" our players just got used to it. We have to control the tempo, that's start from getting the ball to yao.

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

So Lakers fans are calling for Jackson's head right now? Awesome! Can't wait! We have hope now and that's unlike Lakers. :)

12. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

word. huge rockets fan here, but he's right.

13. Fichte

Fichte Member

That goes for my best buddies, as well. They cannot handle any criticism of their teams whatsoever - especially if it's a Trojan fan who is offended by all the talk about Reggie Bush. If i say his production fails to match the hype, the Tommy Trojan thinks I'm saying he is a bust and that if Bush had more carries he'd be averaging more than 2.6 yards per game, that the opposing teams' defense key on him, allowing for others like Copeston and McAllister to run amok, etc. Apologetics, you know, are fun when they only demonstrate just how tiny their perspective is.

You said it, buster!

Sports maxim # 87: Never get too high after wins, or too low after losses.

14. Fichte

Fichte Member

Obviously you haven't been on the lakerstalk.net board. I spent the majority of the past several years or so reading similar complaints about Phil Jackson' shortcomings as a head coach, how he is limiting Kobe's and the team's success, his refusal to play a particular line up or put certain players in the game, or even call timeouts at a critical juncture that could've stopped the momentum, and etcetera, etc. Homerism isn't limited to one team, it does infect each and every following of any sports team, and it gets old very very fast. :mad:

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

16. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

Hey man I hope I am not asking too much

but Rapidshare never works for me these days

it is pissing me off because after I have typed in the code and clicked on download it says "download invalid"

could you upload it to filefront or yousendit??

thanks a million

17. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

18. vci_guy2003

vci_guy2003 Contributing Member

Spurs fans are so nice, here is one's take on last night.

I was at the game. It was awesome to hear all of the Spurs fans during the 4th quarter.

Some random observations from the game:
    -The Rockets have a great opening song (Metallica's Fuel). Their entire introduction presentation is really cool with the rocket ship and the smoke under the center court scoreboard.
    -The whole atmosphere at Toyota Center is better than last year. Maybe because TMac is not hurt and they are playing better and winning.
    -Saw Pop rip into Manu when he made a terrible pass in the 2nd quarter. Manu never once looked into his eyes and Pop didn't lay a finger on him. He just benched him. Maybe Bobby Knight should learn from Pop.
    -Incredible come back started when the Spurs were playing aggressive D. That lead to easy baskets.
    -The bench was great.
    -Love watching the Spurs on the road. The black uniforms are awesome! Dating back to 1999 Spurs are 7-0 on the road when I've been lucky enough to attend. This includes games in LA, Phoenix, Dallas, and Houston.
    -Got to meet TP and Manu about 50 minutes prior to the game. Very cool guys.
    -Rocket fans were pretty good even though I was in Spurs gear. Maybe because we've owned them the past 4 seasons or so.

19. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

20. vci_guy2003

vci_guy2003 Contributing Member

and another!

"What is the jam the Bulls opened with in the 90s? I loved it.

I also liked the Rockets old jingle when I used to watch them when I lived in Galveston (Drexler, Hakeem and later Charles. Drexler and Charles remain two of my favorite players)"