1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Good post. We have more pressing needs. Ramirez over Ensberg/Lamb is an improvement but not as much of an improvement as we can get for the outfield.

Plus I have just never been enamored by Ramirez like alot of people.

2. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Yep, he's sick. And IMO just fine for a #8 hitter.

3. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

I love you Adam lovers. You know what time it is. Oh, and Burke isn't going anywhere, I can promise you that.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Nor I. And certainly not for the money he'll 'command'.

5. Buck Turgidson

So far, the Astros have been credibly reported to have contacted the agents for:

Lee
    Soriano
    Aramis Ramirez
    Matthews Jr.
    Jeff Suppan

Me likey.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Sources close to MadMax suggest we'll be signing them all!!! :D

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I'd love to steal Ramirez away from Chicago...pick up Matthews for a lot less than u will pay for Lee....and put willie and Mo in a deal for dontrelle

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

a resounding vader, "noooooooooooooooooo!" on suppan. he has a career WHIP of 1.42; has had exactly one season of sub 4 ERA and he hasn't hit more than 120 Ks in a season since 2001. you absolutely, positively have to be able to strike guys out pitching in MMP.

9. Buck Turgidson

I like that they have multiple ways to go this offseason, especially wrt position players. The pitching's the thing that concerns me most.

10. Buck Turgidson

Keeps the ball on the ground; gives you ~200 innings; post-ASB ERA under 3 the past 2 years...pretty much exactly what you'd look for in a middle of the rotation starter (which, unless someone like Willis becomes available, is pretty much exactly what the Stros are looking for, and pretty much near the top of what's available on the FA market...Schmidt & Zito ain't coming to Houston).

BTW...the difference b/t Suppan's 5 K/9 and, say, a RoyOish/APish home K rate of 7K/9, given Suppan's batting avg allowed on balls put in play, is about 7 base hits over 100 innings (presumably about the # innings he'd throw at MMP).

He's solid, and if the price is right, he'd help the club.

11. CMHouston

CMHouston Member

Did you guys see this:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

"Apparently the Craig Biggio deal is done, at a price of $4MM plus incentives.....In addition, Sports Radio 610 mentioned that Aubrey Huff was "close" to re-signing as well."

12. MadMax

damn, i miss baseball.

the offseason involves me wearing my black hooded Astros sweatshirt as much as possible and groveling for news about hot stove rumors. it's sad, really.

13. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I really think we need to keep Aubrey Huff around. I think he is a solid utility player who can rake when we need it. I am extremely happy if this comes into fruition.

14. Buck Turgidson

On Biggio:

The Astros and Craig Biggio are "getting close" to agreeing on a one-year contract for the 2007 season, the second baseman's agent, Barry Axelrod, said on Monday.

Axelrod is confident that an announcement could be made by the end of the week

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...t_id=1735362&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

You can also add to the list of FAs contacted by the Stros:

Woody Williams
    Jamie Walker (LHRP, Detroit)

15. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

I always thought BABIP wasn't a consistent statistic. Doesn't it fluctuate alot for most pitchers year to year?

But I do think Suppan would be fine as a 3 or 4 guy in the rotation. I just think that if we don't resign Pettitte and Suppan ends up being our #2 starter, that's trouble.

16. Buck Turgidson

Just looking at the past 3 full years in the NL & running the numbers in my head...he's been pretty consistent.

And yeah, re-signing Pettitte is the key to this offseason. He'll be near impossible to replace.

17. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Interesting that that site also has Carlos Lee and Gary Matthews, Jr. as the best fielding free agents at their position according to The Fielding Bible.

18. Buck Turgidson

Did anyone actually hear this about Huff? Harbison just did a news roundup at the hour & didn't mention it.

19. MadMax

if they sign matthews, jr....isn't that a pretty clear indication that Willy would be elsewhere??

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

from Boston Globe, on 'Gold Gloves' - check out SS:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...06/11/05/riding_a_stationary_cycle/?page=full

Panel has its own leather-brained ideas

"The Fielding Bible" author John Dewan and Bill James put together a 10-person panel to vote on the best defensive players in baseball. The panel includes the Baseball Info Solutions video scouts; Strat-O-Matic Baseball creator Hal Richman; Kansas City Star columnist Joe Posnanski; Seattle Mariners scout Mat Olkin ; Chicago sports talk show host Mike Murphy; Nate Birtwell, who oversees the BIS data collection; and ESPN.com baseball columnist Rob Neyer. Results from a poll taken on the fan website Tango on Baseball (tangotiger.net) was also used.

It's interesting to compare how the "TFB" panel jibed with the managers and coaches who voted for the Gold Gloves. "TFB" voted on the best in baseball, while Gold Glove voting is conducted in each league.

The panel's choices:

First base: Albert Pujols, St. Louis. It's amazing to think that the best hitter of this generation is also the best-fielding player at his position. Gold Gloves: Mark Teixeira (Texas) and Pujols.

Second base: Orlando Hudson, Arizona. Hudson also was finally recognized by the managers and coaches. Gold Gloves: Mark Grudzielanek (Royals) and Hudson.

Third base: Adrian Beltre, Seattle. Beltre and the Cardinals' Scott Rolen tied, and Beltre won in a series of tiebreakers. Gold Gloves: Eric Chavez (Oakland) and Rolen.

Shortstop: Adam Everett, Houston. He garnered all but two first-place votes from the panel. Gold Gloves: Derek Jeter (Yankees) and Omar Vizquel (San Francisco).

Left field: Carl Crawford, Tampa Bay. No surprise. Although he has never won a Gold Glove, his excellent defense is well-known.

Center field: Carlos Beltran, Mets. Most might have expected Andruw Jones to win, but Beltran easily received the nod.

Right field: Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle. A clear-cut winner. Gold Gloves: Torii Hunter (Minnesota), Suzuki, Vernon Wells (Toronto), Mike Cameron (San Diego), Jones, and Beltran.

Catcher: Ivan Rodriguez, Detroit. Gold Gloves: Rodriguez and Brad Ausmus (Houston).

Pitcher: Greg Maddux, Los Angeles. Maddux has also won 15 of the last 16 National League Gold Gloves. Gold Gloves: Kenny Rogers (Detroit) and Maddux.