1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Phillies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 4, 2006.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

You must have missed the pressure...because the stat sheet doesnt display that.

2. Uprising

Uprising Member

He was very active yesterday, it was a good all around game.

3. Nick

Nick Member

And this is the exact kind of assesment people will make if they only read box scores.

Forget about the sack... pretend it didn't happen... and its still likely Mario's best game of the year.

I was watching most of the Carolina-Bengals game, and Peppers almost single-handedly stifled two Cincinnati drives early. In the end, however, the box score shows 4 takles, 0 sacks.

Also, Peppers was eventually held in check... as its impossible for a DE to have an impact on every single play of every single game. But, to get them to apply pressure, make the QB think twice about holding on to the ball, and just create a disruptive force in general... this is why they're paid the big bucks.

4. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

If you paid attention to Mario, he was always doubled team.

I liked that he was recognizing plays. There was an instance that the Jaguars had a running play, and Mario picked it up immediatly and fell back and followed the running back, he didn't get the tackle but he put himself in a position where he was clogging up a hole!

Mario is getting better and better. It's starting to show!

And, let's not forget that Faggins was also instrumental in forcing Leftwich to hold on to the ball a second longer than he migh have wanted to.

The defense really played well in general!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

5. Blatz

Blatz Member

Is that you Rich Lord?

6. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Just look at him work along the line.There were a number of times were he pressured Leftwich,making him hurry and giving him a lick as he delivered the ball..As mentioned he's drawing doubles providing opportunities for others.The guy also has a nose for the ball...good instincts to go with that massive frame and bigtime speed.You can already tell that this defense is going to be special.
    Look at all that talent...I would expect no team would want to play us at the end of the year.It's a shame that Spencer went down,but the Texans will be fine....Already,Williams and Ryans are cranking it up.Toss in an improving TJ,Robinson,etc. and the defense is going to be thing to be reckoned with.
    8 - 8 without Spencer by the end of the season.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

He, along with the rest of the defense, is coming along. That's really all you can ask for. We knew he was "raw" coming out of college, so I don't know why anyone thought he would come in and get 16 sacks his first year.

I just want to see steady improvement. I starting to see that and it's starting to make the whole defense better even if it's not showing in Mario's stats.

8. macalu

macalu Member

it's the same folks who hype up Bush and thought he'd have 8 TD's by now. by not getting 1 sack a game, they can claim that MW was a complete bust. yet, Bush himself has only 1 TD. instead, they make claims like he's a decoy, or use stats such as him leading the league in receptions to justify how great he is. :rolleyes:

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

Number 1 pick label, I'd imagine.

Stuff like using Julius Peppers as a comparison point probably also doesn't help.

10. Possum

Possum Member

Bush 11 att -5 yds .05 ypc longest run 3 yards. for the year 8 games 81 att 207 yards 2.6 avg :eek:

All I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAH! AND IN YOUR FACE MOFO!

11. underoverup

underoverup Member

mario really looked super yesterday! :eek: :cool:

12. underoverup

underoverup Member

i think mario could be a great wide receiver, but i'm not sure he's a running back in the nfl.................. :eek: but who knows next week he may go for 200 yards running, he is very hit or miss. :confused: i guess that's a typical rookie for you

13. MadMax

MadMax Member

but reggie wasn't supposed to be a "typical rookie."

rookie RB's come in and have huge impact quite frequently. see maroney this season in NE. hell, look at Lundy. not huge impact, but at least you can see it.

with reggie we have not seen it yet. all the criticisms about him as a running back have been realized in these first games. yes, there's tons of time left.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Im so glad we took Mario...I'd be so pissed if Reggie was our starting tailback...

15. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

im glad that this mario hate thread is still up. its funny to see people make anti-mario comments a few weeks ago and now they are writing him love letters on this forum.

16. sammy

sammy Member

Tony and Wilbon from PTI just gave props to Mario saying that he can do the jumpshot if he wants to and that he is big, strong and is playing well.

17. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

finally, some espn media gave mario some props. I didn't like the 2 knuckleheads at first but i'm starting to like them more and more about a variety of issues in sports.

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

Is your sig that way on purpose?

19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

anyone have a video of mario's sack against the giants

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

gonna post this in the bush and mario threads..

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/anal...110506&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&league=fantasy/nfl