1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kaman doesn't have much of an appetite for waiting, inks 52.5 mil extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Van Gundier, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Looks like he's doing the smart thing and getting himself some security.

I know he's producitve and has improved, but 52.5 mil for him is only a bargain when compared to the Chandler, Dampier, and Blounts of the world.

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

He's at a spot he likes & who knows what can happien any given season. With a 52 mill garanteed contract waiting for you it would be pretty hard to pass.

BUT if your name was L. Spreewell it would be a little different :p

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sorry, but locking a guy like Kaman in at $52.5MM is no bargain. The Chandler, Dampier, Dalembert signings scream "HUGE MISTAKE" loudly. Maybe you can argue the Clips made a slightly lesser mistake. Either way, a lesser mistake is still a mistake.

4. RocketsFAN3035

Yeah, I hate to say it, but Bonzi is in the same boat as Spree (oh man, I just said boat and Spree in the same sentance, there is some comedy there too!)

I'm cool with Bonzi's former agent/Bonzi's mistake is our gain (if he ever plays).

5. compucomp

compucomp Member

I don't think 11.9/9.6/1.4 is worth $10 million a year, especially if Yao's 22.3/10.2/1.7 is worth $12 million a year. The Clippers overpaid. Honestly from watching them play against the Rockets Kaman doesn't look very good; Yao clowns him pretty much every time they play.

6. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

That logic doesn't really make sense - Yao scores nearly double the points Kaman does and has more rebounds and assists.

7. compucomp

compucomp Member

This is why I started by saying "I don't think Chris Kaman is worth $10 million a year".

8. Chronz

Chronz Member

You got that right, you really dont think.

9. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

What is up with the NBA overpaying subpar centers?? I can honestly say that Kaman isn't worth that much money..

I think he's worth $50 and a bag of chips :)

10. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Oops, I skimmed your post - I agree

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

52.5 million dollars? How the hell is he supposed to feed his family with that kind of money?

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Using that criteria Dwight Howard isn't worth the money since Yao clowned him last year. Kaman is a solid player who is worth that money to his current team. He is a Top 10 center and very productive. Centers are hard to come by, especially quality center who are actually productive offensively, defensively and on the glass.

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Good, now maybe he can afford to get a haircut and a decent razor...

14. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

He's a solid player, but being "solid" does not in any way make you worthy of a near-max salary.

I don't see the logic in bringing up how Kaman is a "top 10 center." So what? Like everyone knows already, center is the thinnest position in the league. Even taking that into account, Kaman wouldn't even be among the better players in that "top 10." Yao, Shaq, Ilgauskas, Ben Wallace, and Brad Miller are all significantly better than he is. So are "power forwards" like Bosh, Jermaine O'Neal, Gasol, etc. who actually spend a significant portion of their minutes playing at the center position.

And it's not like the money being used on Kaman can only be spent on another center. That money can be used to acquire players of all positions, so it's only logical to compare Kaman to the rest of the league. Kaman is a solid player, who's production is not significantly above average. After being a crappy player for two years, Kaman had ONE decent season, and all of a sudden he's become overrated and overhyped.

The Clippers overpaid here, plain and simple.

15. Caboose

Caboose Member

In the NBA these days all you have to do is have a good contract year where you are a little bit above average or have potential and then everyone thinks your worth 50 mil. Samuel Dalembert is a lucky b*stard.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Teams tend to overpay for decent centers...they are really screwed when they have a decent center...like a 6 out of 10 or so...they have to overpay or lose them.

17. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Well... Kaman is saving all that money on haircuts (the lack thereof)... and he switched to Geico.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Let's compare Kaman to Howard:

Kaman is 24 with 3 years of NBA experience:
    03/04: 6.1/5.6, 46.0%
    04/05: 9.1/6.7, 49.7%
    05/06: 11.9/9.6, 52.3%

Howard is 20 with 2 years of NBA experience:
    04/05: 12.0/10.0, 52.0%
    05/06: 15.8/12.5, 53.1%

There is a huge difference in productivity. DH stepped in and was above average from the get-go. DH is still a baby who maybe hasn't scratched the surface of how good he can be. Kaman (IMO) likely won't improve much. Kaman had his breakout season during a contract year. If DH does that this year, we can only imagine how good his breakout will be.

When looking at Kaman, we have to toss out his games against Yao because Yao dominates him so thoroughly and it distorts our perspective. Even then, he's just a 12/10 player that doesn't measure up to $52.5MM guaranteed. If a consensus list of the current top 50 NBA players existed, Kaman wouldn't even be on it. Conclusion: The Clips should have waited until next summer to do a deal. There would have been SnT possibilities or maybe they just let him walk. If Livingston steps it up this year, he's much more important to their future than Kaman.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I missed the thread about the NBA top 50. Obviously Kaman wasn't on it.

20. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Name some pf/centers that are better than him that has signed an extension for less.