1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] For Rockets on bubble, it's hard not to wonder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ccjj, Oct 19, 2006.

1. skywater

skywater Member

We need a backup PF since Juwan would be older after this season.

Eliyahu who we picked in 2nd round this year would be a great supplement. :)

I wouder if we could get Candy man for our backup C but he had been signed by Nets. :(

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think Padgett is initially cut. Though he could come back for Sura spot. The others guys if cut are more likely to seek jobs elsewhere while Padgett could hang around in town. I think Novak has played so well any minutes Padgett was going to get will go to him. I am sorry, but I'd already roll with an open look to Novak to win or tie the game with a 3 over Padgett--and that is Padgett roll. The shooting taller forward just seems to be one of the deepest spots we have--Battier, Tmac, Novak. But Padgett does know the system so if any one of those 3 went down he could fill some minutes

I can make cases for Azub, CJ and Haryz. While experienced, unless CJ has played a lot better in practices, I don't see a reason for him on the roster. The other two at least have upside even if they don't play. I'd prefer to keep their rights.

These are tough decisions and hard to predict.

3. aznboi

aznboi Contributing Member

If Padgett stays, does that mean we can use him as our starting PF instead? :p

4. Veruca

Veruca New Member

In my mind, Padgett filled the Air Bullard role very well.

But if Novak shoots as well as everyone says, then I'm sorry, but what use is Padgett to the team?

I like Padgett, but he's out. :(

5. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

what's with all the love for John Lucas III?? he sucked really bad in preseason and I dont think he would be a reliable backup PG.. that's not mentioning that the improved Luther Head COULD be our backup PG... V-span can be back up PG... I am just wondering, why didn't y'all mention JL3 on the list of players to be cut ?? I think Jacobsen offers the team a whole lot more than what JL3 does !! :confused:

6. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

and regarding the Sura issue.. did y'all forget what he did in 04-05?? he brought the team back and took us to the playoffs (with the combination of Barry & Wesley of course).,... why is everybody hating on the guy now ?? I am coming to believe that rockets fans these days have NO loyalty to our great players (I consider Sura one of the best Rockets players in the past 4 years)... the guy was underrated his WHOLE career... nobody even talks about him as an "alright" PG.. they dont even mention his name...

now I understand that if he cant go anymore, we should release him, but I think we should at least wait until he gives us a word.. I am pretty sure that if he says he is coming back, he will come back full strength because the guy is well known for being a WARRIOR...

7. jlwee

jlwee Member

I dont get it. why is everybody saying with Novak, Padgett is redundant? Isnt it always good to have more shooters in the team??? :confused:
    I hope Padgett will stay!

8. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Padgett has to stay. The more shooters the better. If Novak gets injured, which forward will we turn to on the bench to take his spot.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I don't sense the hate. I sense the disappointment that he is physically finished. Make him well and watch the excitement for his return!

10. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

I remember reading that the Sonics are interested in Padgett if he gets cut.

I don't know, but Padgett looked pretty good playing with TMac and Yao.. might as well keep him on the roster to simulate a 3 pt shooting Center so they can work on that zone. He'll also be useful to bring off the bench if the other players are getting cold.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Sura hasn't played effectively since when? I think it was over 18 months ago, that is a long time to be removed from competition as a 30+ old. If he can come back to NBA form great, but chances are slim enough to use his roster spot on a young flyer who might develop.

JL3 has a 3 year, but cheap, contract. Think of him as a 2nd round pick investment in his rookie year, even if he doesn't play this year we are not going to give up on him. Same deal with VSpan (though his deal isn't so cheap). We saw long term promise with these guys, we are going to retain their rights even if they stink it up this year and are buried on the bench.

As for Padgett, right now minutes will be sparce as it is at the PF with SB, Hayes, Novak and Howard making cases. I think he makes the team sooner or later as injury insurance, but just because he is a shooter doesn't mean he will get PT barring injury. Novak is already probably better at what he is, and SB is as good a shooter plus everything else. We simply have at least 10 players all around better and plenty of shooters as well.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Four Players should depart- Kelenna Azubuike Ryan Bowen Casey Jacobsen
    and Haryaz- leaving 14 players and Sura.

GUARDS Alston, Head, Lucas, Snyder, Spanoulis, Wells and Sura.[7]

FORWARDS Battier, Mc Grady, Hayes, Howard, Novac and Padgett.[6]

BIGS Yao Ming and Mutombo [2]

13. Rockets Dynasty

I would cut Bowen, Jacobsen, Azuibuke, and Haryasz, and I would keep Padgett and Sura.

14. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Me too. When sura retires we can pick up scraps from other teams. Haha.

15. job

job Contributing Member

Who are the other potential players that we should pick up with our 15th spot?

16. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

this is why i couldnt make decisions like this...didnt casey just have a kid?

17. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I would cut all of them: Haryasz (already cut at this point), Azabuike, Bowen, Jacobsen, and Sura... and instead keep Padgett

I don't think Jacobsen and Haryasz really have much to offer for this team. I doubt they will get much playing time, if at all anyways.

Sura to me is a done. We all know about his heart and hustle, but the guy won't be much use to us until about midseason anyways the earliest because he hasn't played in like.. a whole season.

Bowen and Azabuike sucks.