1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another ESPN Article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

There was some user feedback on the Glen Rice deal and for the most part it was positive for the Rockets, but there were still 1 or 2 idiots out there. Most of these people were bashing the Knicks and Scott Layden. Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/nba/s/2001/0811/1238196.html

2. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

This one stuck out

Congratulations to Scott Layden for now having the largest collection of overpriced mediocre players ever. Eisley? I would rather have the Isley Brothers run the point. ... If the Nets bring back the tie-dye jerseys, I might have to start pulling for the fellas across the river.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

So, if one doesn't think this was a good trade for the Rockets, he/she is automatically an idiot? :rolleyes:

4. Manny Ramirez

Quote: "I'm a Rockets fan ... but that might be past tense now. With Hakeem's departure, the Rockets are in serious need of a starting center (sorry, Cato), not a third option. Besides, Rice didn't like being No. 3 in L.A., what makes us think he'll settle for it in H-town? And the big question is, if we were willing to give up Shandon Anderson to pay Rice's salary, then why wouldn't we do it to keep Hakeem?"

Um, for the millionth time, Olajuwon DID NOT want to come back to the Rockets no matter how much money was offered. Rudy T and CD did not have this grand plan of getting rid of Olajuwon so they could get Rice. Hakeem didn't want to come back. Geesh, how many times do you have to explain this?? That, Hobbs, is idiot #1.

Quote: "Knicks come out as clear cut winners. Shandon Anderson is a starting-caliber swingman who will be coming off the bench for them. Howard Eisley is one of the best backup point guards in the league and a huge upgrade over Muggsy Bogues. Rice can't play defense and is losing his shooting touch. Dallas gets Bogues, who will ride the injured reserve list all year or be cut. Houston gets the aging Rice, who is not much of an upgrade over Walt Williams."

Yea, Shandon Anderson really helps the Knicks considering they already have about 3 or 4 other guys who play the same position. Won't argue about Eisley, but Glen Rice's defense is not as bad as people would like for you to believe. Also, Glen is a much more CONSISTENT outside shooter than the Wizard. This analysis does not convince me that the Knicks are clear-cut winners. On the contrary, other than the Eisley argument (which is a no-brainer because Bogues didn't even play last year), this guy didn't come up with anything to make me think that the Knicks are "clear-cut" winners. That my friend, Hobbs, is idiot #2.

Finally, listen to this quote:
    "In Houston, Rice will find out very quickly that -- as with the Lakers and Knicks -- he simply doesn't have the arsenal of skills necessary to serve as a team's No. 1 or even No. 2 option. He'll be mired in the Rockets' plan of attack behind Francis, Mobley, and possibly even Eddie Griffin, he'll be disgruntled for the third consecutive season, and the Rockets in general will again struggle to get anywhere near a playoff spot. Shipping out a class act in Hakeem and bringing in two headcases in Rice and Griffin will make for a very volatile Rocket lockerroom. And with Mo Taylor in the fold for good, Houston is stuck with using a soft big man to deal with the loaded frontcourts of the West. The future is cloudy for the Houston Rockets."

Boy, is this guy clueless or what?? He's talking about the same Hakeem Olajuwon who got injured by a cold glass of water!! There have been numerous threads here that talked about the real Olajuwon and the one who presented this classy image. Also, for this guy to say that the Rockets lockerrom is going to be volatile because of Griffin and Rice really makes me laugh. Um, didn't Vernon Maxwell, Clyde Drexler, Kevin Willis, Mario Elie, and Charles Barkley all played for the Rockets under Rudy T? Hell, Olajuwon was the biggest head case there was, but then again this guy was snowed by Olajuwon's "class act". Where's a barf bag when you need one?

You make the comment that if anyone did not think this was a good trade for the Rockets then that they were an idiot. However, I said only 1 or 2 and I have already pointed out 3 plus listen to this quote:
    "From the Rockets perspective, Rice really has no place in Houston. The Rockets are going to miss the defensive presents of Shandon Anderson. The Rockets lost Hakeem. Who's going to contain Shaq and the other great centers of the West? With the departure of Anderson from the Rockets, there is no defensive player on the Rockets who can contain Kobe or any good guard out in the West. ... What were the Rockets thinking?"

Now, this is not bad. I can understand his argument and he uses good points. See, Hobbs, this guy is not an idiot like you accused me of saying he was. Let me ask you a question: Did you really read the whole article or not? I bet you didn't read it because you were probably against this trade. That's your prerogative, but don't go around jumping to conclusions and getting smart without doing your homework first!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<b>In Houston, Rice will find out very quickly that -- as with the Lakers and Knicks -- he simply doesn't have the arsenal of skills necessary to serve as a team's No. 1 or even No. 2 option. He'll be mired in the Rockets' plan of attack behind Francis, Mobley, and possibly even Eddie Griffin, he'll be disgruntled for the third consecutive season, and the Rockets in general will again struggle to get anywhere near a playoff spot. Shipping out a class act in Hakeem and bringing in two headcases in Rice and Griffin will make for a very volatile Rocket lockerroom. And with Mo Taylor in the fold for good, Houston is stuck with using a soft big man to deal with the loaded frontcourts of the West. The future is cloudy for the Houston Rockets." </b>

These guy is an idiot if he thinks Glen Rice is going to be the 1st or 2nd option. Rice will be fine as long as the Rockets run some play for him, and Rudy T WILL run plays for him. When Rudy T likes you, he takes care of you. And I love how the uninformed immediately label Griffin a "headcase", the same people who label Francis a "headcase", and Hakeem a "class act" even though Hakeem has done some questionable things.

<b>"From the Rockets perspective, Rice really has no place in Houston. The Rockets are going to miss the defensive presents of Shandon Anderson. The Rockets lost Hakeem. Who's going to contain Shaq and the other great centers of the West? With the departure of Anderson from the Rockets, there is no defensive player on the Rockets who can contain Kobe or any good guard out in the West. ... What were the Rockets thinking?" </b>

You're a grade A idiot if you think that Hakeem Olajuwon and Shandon Anderson "contained" Shaq and Kobe last year.

6. man532

man532 Member

We have an ABA squad, hands down. If Rice starts we have Mo Taylor (average D), Rice (Average on the downside D), Cato (5 fouls in 2 minutes), Steve and Cuttino.

If we're shooting straight we win, if we're off, there is no way we can compete against the top teams. Look at our matchup against L.A., SAn Antonio, Dallas, Utah, Minnesota, Portland,
    Rick Fox/Robert Horry
    Duncan, Steve Smith
    Dirk/Howard
    Malone/Russell
    KG/Szcierbak
    Pippen/Wallace

Based on the above, we are at a disadvantage. We basically gave up Bullard for Glen Rice

I don't want Shandon for $6 mil, can shoot period. Layden will be unemployed in 2 years.

7. Sane

Sane Member

Do you really think that Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Glen Rice, and Mo Taylor will all not be shooting straight on ANY night in the WHOLE year? i don't think so.

If Francis and Cuttino aren't shootin straight, they have rebounding and playmaking skills. If Mo Taylor can't go inside, he has a trusty jumper, or the other way around. Rice will always demand one player on him.

The only think Rudy has to do now is dedicate EVERYONE to shotblocking and rebounding, coz that's essential to a high-scoring team.

8. man532

man532 Member

Sane, I think we have enough O, but our defense and rebouding is no where near the caliber we need.

Steve led the team in Rebounding last year. I don't think he should do this every season.

Rebounding requires a lot of effort, which, I do not see MoTaylor, Rice, and Cato doing on a consistent basis.

9. Franchisedream

I think Glenn Rice's defense is every bit as bad people think it is. I agree that Rice is a great shooter though, and once I really did see him make a couple of great defensive plays in a row. Consistently however he's a horrible defender, no matter how much people want to say it isn't true.

Actually Hakeem was a class act. He definitely was more so than Glenn Rice. That doesn't mean that Hakeem didn't also let his ego get in the way, make mistakes, etc. The fact is if you want a side by side list of Class act type things Hakeem is done, and Glen Rice or almost any other player, Hakeem's list will be longer. Granted you can also make a list of Hakeem's mistakes as well, but that doesn't mean that Dream didn't step up and do a lot of really classy things, that no other pro atheletes in any sport have done. It seems you argue that since Hakeem isn't all good, he must be all bad. That's not the case. Most people do both good things and bad things, Hakeem included.

So Manny it looks like you aren't saying anyone who is against the trade is an idiot, just if they are against the trade and also happen to like Hakeem Olajuwon.

10. Major

Major Member

<B>Um, for the millionth time, Olajuwon DID NOT want to come back to the Rockets no matter how much money was offered. </B>

This was not reported ANYWHERE in the national or local media. Only on ClutchCity. (Except for the "Rockets were not in it" quote from Hakeem, but that may have had more to do with the Rockets offer rather than complete disinterest)

<B>Won't argue about Eisley, but Glen Rice's defense is not as bad as people would like for you to believe. </B>

Your opinion. Many people disagree.

<B>There have been numerous threads here that talked about the real Olajuwon and the one who presented this classy image. </B>

Again, not reported anywhere in the national/local media.

So basically, you're saying this guy is an idiot because (1) he disagrees with your opinions and (2) doesn't read ClutchCity. Wonderful standard there. :rolleyes:

11. KD

KD Member

Can you list some of Hakeem's class acts? I agree that Hakeem is a class act, but I would like to collect as much facts as possible to argue with people. Thanks.

12. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

13. Manny Ramirez

And I guess you're a better defender than he is? For God's sakes, he's a professional athlete something you and me are not. Besides, with teams playing some zone defenses, this has become an overrated thing with Rice.

I bet you couldn't name 5 "classy" things that Olajuwon did when he was with the Rockets. Was he ever one to take a young player under his wing? NO! Did he complain a lot when he wasn't getting his touches? YES! Did he try to screw the Rockets by waiting as long as possible to make up his mind so we couldn't get Webber when he, Hakeem, knew all along he wasn't coming back? YES!!!

I'm sure because of your name that if ever happened to be the Rockets vs. the Raptors in the Finals that you would pull for the Raptors because of Olajuwon. Well, I'm a fan of the Houston Rockets not of one or two players. Besides, the Raptors will be lucky to get 60 games out of Olajuwon. You just wait and see.

14. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

I think Hakeem was a great basketball player, but I think that's been accomplished without class by players in the past. I wouldn't get the 2 confused. While I am a big Rocket fan and I wish they could have resigned Hakeem, I'm not sure I can name 1 classy thing he has done...but I can name a few questionable ones...sitting out with questionable injuries (especially the one in the end of the Charlie Thomas era)...causing a 2 hour delay in Houston's July heat for the championship parade...going to the media about the his role.

15. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Behold the power of selective editing!

I think any Rocket fan who doesn't read ClutchCity is an idiot! :D

16. Manny Ramirez

I beg to differ. Anytime Hakeem complained it was REPORTED. Remember the trade demand to Miami and the comment that Pat Riley knows how to use a big man? There have been other times reported by the Chronicle and ESPN and other sites & this has been mentioned as a fact in other threads here. Besides, this guy was from Houston and said that he had been a Rocket fan for a long time. Well, HELLO!! It doesn't take someone with one eye and half a brain to figure out that Olajuwon wasn't happy in Houston especially someone who LIVES there!!!

Yea, and I guess you could do a better job? The man is a professional athlete something that you and me are not. Plus with teams going to zone defenses this point has become an overrated one.

Does the Houston Chronicle not count??!! Anytime he got upset it was reported in the Chronicle.

Obviously, you don't read the Chronicle much and follow the Rockets. It's obvious that you and FranchiseDream worship Olajuwon, so why don't the 2 of you start liking the Raptors? You know, ZRB would come up with some good arguments with me on this. You aren't even close. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

17. Band Geek Mobster

Duh...very good argument there. I guess we have a kickass defense afterall since I'm not good at playing basketball...

18. Manny Ramirez

PRM: Easy, big fella!!

Actually, it's even better because I'm not playing!!:D

Seriously, I wish people would get off Glen Rice's back about his defense. My point that I was trying to make is that they are only 348 NBA players out of a possible who knows how many. You gotta be pretty damn good to be one of these 348. So, maybe his defense isn't all that great, but it's better than all the wannabes who are in the CBA, Europe, and wherever else.

19. Major

Major Member

<B>So, maybe his defense isn't all that great, but it's better than all the wannabes who are in the CBA, Europe, and wherever else.</B>

That's nice. Too bad the players that is defending aren't CBA players. Everything is relative -- when people talk about Cato's lack of hustle, they aren't comparing him to lazy bums who sit around posting on an online BBS. They are comparing him to the people who he's playing against. Who cares if Glen Rice can play better defense than me? He plays worse defense than the majority of players on the court with him, and that's all that matters.

20. Major

Major Member

<B>It doesn't take someone with one eye and half a brain to figure out that Olajuwon wasn't happy in Houston especially someone who LIVES there!!!</B>

I guess Clutch and the majority of us who visit the site are idiots too, then, because most people here thought Olajuwon would re-sign here at the beginning of this summer.