1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Moochie really leaving?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Aug 12, 2001.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

What is Moochie's status? Is it a done deal that he is leaving? Mooch is an important part of the Rockets. Losing him would hurt more than most think.

2. rocket red

rocket red Member

I don't think its a done deal, but the signs arn't good. Fagen is his agent. Fagen was the agent for Hakeem and Shandon, both have left the Rockets for more money. Dallas has been mentioned as one of the teams interested in signing Moochie.

3. treeman

treeman Member

I posted this earlier today, but... From Bskball.com:

"Moochie Norris is taking offers from other teams, and has had light talks with the Cavs. The word is Moochie is seeking a multi-year deal starting at $2 million per season. The Rockets are offering a multi-year deal below that number, starting at the $1.2-$1.5 million range. Moochie is shopping."

Nothing about Dallas, I don't know what ever happened to that. I suspect they'd rather have him over Bogues, tho. Dunno. This is the only comment I've seen anywhere that has any specifics in it. Make what you will of it.

I for one will be very upset if Mooch leaves.

4. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I really want Moochie back. If we had gotten nothing for Shandon Anderson, and saved the cap room-we could have resigned Moochie and saved the money for another transaction using the 5mil trade exception.

Glen Rice is not the prize I wanted if it means losing Moochie. This will hurt our chemistry...

5. treeman

treeman Member

TBar, if it comes down to Moochie/Shandon or Rice, I think that's a no-brainer. This team might very well lead the league in scoring next season, and while I realize that our defense has suffered a tad from the deal, it will be offset by the scoring increase. If we can even play minimal TEAM defense next year, then this team will be VERY scary to play against.

That said, I'm not so sure that Mooch is definitely leaving. He actually wants to remain a Rocket, while Shandon and Hakeem did not. It is not too late for the CD and Fegan to work something out.

6. Ninja Sauce X

Ninja Sauce X Member

Perhaps somethings abrewin' with a deal involving sending Mooch and Rice somewhere else for some big bodies.

#6 Ninja Sauce X, Aug 12, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2001
  7. CaucasionSensation

If we let Moochie get away, I'm gonna be seriously upset. That guy is so much fun to watch, so full of energy, and fits in so well with our team. I just don't feel there is any way to replace him. Many of Anderson's qualities will be missed, but having a backup point guard that has the on court enthusiasm that Mooch has is to me invaluable. Give the man his 2 million per, just bring Mooch back!

8. treeman

treeman Member

Rice is staying. Rudy has been quite clear on that point.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I believe that Mooch REALLY REALLY wants to stay in Houston but he wants more money. The Rockets concern I would have to guess would be handing over 6 years, $20 million (just a guestimate) to a back up point guard they plucked out of the CBA only a season and a half ago.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I know I am in the Minority here, but I have a feeling that even if Moochie comes back we will not be seeing him as much next season. Most of his PT seemed to come in a set with Francis and Mobes when Anderson was pulled. Now that we have Rice, Griffin, Morris, and hopefully an improved Langhi, we should not see Cat sliding over as much. Both Cat and Steve will still get major minutes, so that does not leave much left over for Moochie. Maybe the best thing for him would be to take his outstanding performance here and try to parlay it into a major role on one of the teams lacking a PG (eg Atlanta, Memphis, New York). Houston could probably make due with Colson as the backup to Steve and Langhi/Morris as the 2nd 2.

11. Sane

Sane Member

All of those teams already are FULL in the PG department.

If it's a matter of paying him 2 million, then I think Rudy and CD will make the right decision.

If we're gonna make a playoff run starting from the first day, we have to make sure Francis isn't worn out.

12. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

The buzz around here is that Dallas is targeting Tim Hardaway, and using the exception they obtained the in trade to get him. Failing that, I think Moochie will be next on their shopping list, and my guess is they can outbid us for him if it comes to that.

TBS, I hope Mooch stays...and somehow I think he will. :)

13. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

Colson was renounced as part of Rice deal.

http://www.clutchcity.net/rockets.cfm

Rights now Norris and Kyle Hill would appear to be the back-up point guards. We got Hill, a 2nd round Dallas pick as part of the trade in return for traded player exception money. It is rumored Dallas will try to turn that money into Tim Hardaway.

Golden State and Chicago are also shopping for point guards.

14. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

If we have to let Moochie go can we at least do a BRAIN and Heart swap? Put Moochies Brain and Heart into Catos body.
    I would chip in some of the $$.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Mooch is really fun to watch....but I can't believe how many people believe this guy is an integral piece to becoming a championship contender...particularly over Glen freaking Rice!!! That's just funny.

There are a thousand Moochie Norris clones in the CBA and elsewhere. Rudy has always been able to find these kinds of guys, who work extra hard to prove their worth the NBA's time. The Rockets were the first team to give this guy a flier...backup point guards are a dime a dozen. Guys with playoff experience and tremendous career shooting numbers are not.

16. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

Because he fit in here with the way we play doesn't mean he will do the same everywhere. But if its all about money I guess it doesn't matter, if it is guarenteed.

I still believe he either steps in and signs againest Fegan's wishes or he is gone. On the bright side we will not have to deal with Fegan any longer and I would doubt anyone that wants to be a Rocket will be useing him.

17. Drex22

Drex22 Contributing Member

I think that a 3 yr 5-6 mil contract would be fair. Can the Rockets offer that much?

18. Franchisedream

I'm not saying Moochie is the the most important part to our team's future, but the guy is a good backup pg, that knows our system, and fits well with it.

Also I may be in the minority, but I would much rather have a team that I liked all the players on, and they gave their all every night, even if it means that we don't win a championship. (hypothetical portion follows:) If we were able to trade for a group of players like Karl Malone, Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Gary Peyton, John Stockton, Scottie Pippen, and definitely win a championship, I wouldn't want to do it, because I don't like those players, wouldn't have fun rooting for them, and would feel no pride if they did win.

For me as a fan, I want to like the guys I root for. Moochie is a prime example. Yes I hope we win championships, but I want it to be with guys that I really like. If Moochie leaves maybe I'll like his replacement just as much, but who knows. I like the idea of being loyal to players, who really step up the way Moochie has. The guy isn't ready to be a starting pg in the league, but he does play hard, and is a great back up. Plus I enjoy watching him play and rooting for him to do well. That triple OT win against Indiana was one of my favorite games I've seen since the championship era. Moochie was great that game, and we wouldn't have won without him.

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Um, Mark Jackson is ancient and will soon be retiring and the Knicks are looking to move Charlie Ward because he is anti-semetic. I am sure they do not want just Howard Eisley on their PG depth chart. Memphis is playing Jason (worst starting PG in the league) Williams and Mahmoud (Chris Jackson) Abdul-Rauf. I am pretty sure they would be happy to have Moochie, even if only for the same reason as Williams. Don't underestimate the power of the fro to put asses in seats. Who exactly is Atlanta's PG? Last time I looked they were forced to try to get Jason Terry to slide over because they did not have one.

20. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

I hope part of last weeks deal was a verbal agreement between Les and Cuban for Dallas to back away from Moochie.