1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My friend just saw Van Gundy tonight and talked about Bonzi....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jjc7329, Sep 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's what I thought when you started to get a beatdown. I don't see any reason VG wouldn't say that. Given his personality though, I wouldn't be surprised that it was also an exxageration of the situation. Even if I tend to believe you, it doesn't worry me.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it doesn't get on the front page or realgm, reported by espn, and on the front page of clutchfans if it were just a rumor that's supposed to happen. they all said he signed. that's the end of it.

3. jjc7329

jjc7329 Contributing Member

Nice post, YaozaMac. Your the man.

4. jjc7329

Good point. That's exactly what I'm now thinking.

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

May I ask what charity event this was? Was it in Houston?

Just curious.

6. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Well, the scenario is certainly not impossible.

Remember the reason why Wells agreed to come to the Rockets in the first place involves one John Salmons agreeing to a contract with the Raptors (and it was reported on all the major media) and then decided not to go and signed with the Kings instead.

7. jjc7329

Yeah, it was a Young Life function. And yes, it was in Houston.

8. thtckp0112

thtckp0112 Contributing Member

Well, I found this on the Houston Chronicle Website, this should tell you all here :)

Wells agrees to join Rockets
    Guard's contract worth almost $4.5 million over two years

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Bonzi Wells, who went from out of the Rockets' price range to too much to hope to land even as he considered taking their modest offer, agreed late Wednesday night to become the latest addition to their radically rebuilt backcourt.

Wells had been considered one of the summer's top free agents, particularly after an extraordinary performance in the Sacramento Kings' playoff series against the San Antonio Spurs. But when he turned down a five-year, $37 million offer from the Kings, they instead filled the roster spot with John Salmons and Wells quickly ran out of high-dollar options.

Wells accepted a two-year deal worth almost $4.5 million, though his agent Bill Duffy said that Wells almost certainly will exercise his option to become a free agent again after the 2006-07 season.

The Rockets will use the $2.1 million left on their mid-level exception to sign Wells for the upcoming season. With Wells, the Rockets will bring 18 players, including nine guards, to training camp next week.

The Rockets hold a $4.2 million trade exception in which they could have signed Wells for $4.2 million in the first season and with maximum raises without the Kings having to take back any salary. But rather than sign the long-term sign-and-trade contract, Wells wanted the option to become a free agent next season.

Rockets officials would not comment until Wells is officially signed. Wells is attending a family wedding this weekend and is not expected to arrive in Houston until Monday when players report for their annual physicals.

Wells had also considered the Nuggets, Bobcats and Heat, with the Bobcats able to offer a much richer contract. But Duffy said that Wells chose to sign with the Rockets because he believed he would fit best with the Rockets.

"That was our analysis," Duffy said. "We feel very strongly that Tracy McGrady is very perimeter oriented. Yao Ming is an interior player. Bonzi is an intermediate player that can play in between them. I think you'll see a lot of post-ups, a lot of isos for Bonzi.

"This is really about the Rockets and the right fit for Bonzi. We feel with the situation with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, he (Wells) can be the third premier player."

Wells, 30, averaged 13.6 points and 7.7 rebounds with the Kings last season and then averaged 23.2 points and 12 rebounds in the Kings' first-round playoff series against the Spurs.

Wells' career, however, has been marked by several incidents. He was twice suspended in Portland, once for cursing former Trail Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks when he was removed from a game and once for "conduct detrimental to the team."

He received NBA suspensions for spitting at former Spurs forward Danny Ferry and for a role in a post-game fight with the Golden State Warriors. His tenure in Memphis ended when he was removed from the Grizzlies' playoff roster after a clash with coach Mike Fratello.

Wells' season in Sacramento, however, had no such problems, leading to the Kings' hefty offer.

"There's no question he's a great talent and he's a guy that can really score the basketball," Rockets forward Shane Battier, Wells' teammate in Memphis, said last week after Wells met with Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy and general manager Carroll Dawson. "If he comes with a good attitude and is surrounded by good guys, he can really help the team."

On Thursday, after Wells had agreed to the deal with the Rockets, Battier said that he thought Wells could be a key addition and that his reference to "attitude" is true for any additions to a team

"After playing with Bonzi for two years, I know what he's capable of doing," Battier said. "He gives us another dimension offensively. Last year the Rockets had a lot of trouble scoring the basketball, especially when Yao and Tracy got hurt. Bonzi adds an offensive presence.

"He's a guy other teams must pay attention to, especially when you put him on the block and throw the ball to him. The margin of error is so small, you always must have everyone on the same page. To win in this league, you must have everyone with a common goal and common beliefs on team. That's essential."

McGrady worked to recruit Wells and said Wednesday that he considered Wells a key addition.

"He adds more depth," McGrady said. "He is the missing piece we need, especially when we match up with teams like Dallas and Phoenix when they go small."

Wells could step in to the starting lineup, replacing David Wesley who started at shooting guard the past two seasons. He also could come off the bench, with his ability to post up and create his own shot more valuable when McGrady or Yao are out.

Either way, he would seem to offer a more proven talent to the Rockets' retooled backcourt and skills different from the other players acquired this off-season.

"Before this happened, I thought we would be very competitive," Battier said. "With the talent we have, especially with the addition of Bonzi, we can be a formidable team nightly."

Link is: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4221401.html

No thank you! I believe it's true, he's gonna sign!!

9. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Didnt BERMAN INTERVIEW BONZI TONITE ON FOX??????

10. thtckp0112

I wish I could see it :)

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

If Wells plays games with this, his stock will fall farther. I think it would be a huge mistake for him to stiff the Rockets if he wants to build PR for next season. I don't know, I have been somewhat sceptical all along, because nothing has been finalized. If this goes south it is going to be a monster disappointment for the fans. If he trys to "extort" more money, I don't know what the Rockets would do. I would hope they tell him to take a walk. He is a really good player, but the Rockets can live without him.

12. mogrod

Did he really?

Oh, and found this. Not saying the story is authentic or not, but it at least gives a little creadance to the claim that it was at a Young Life function tonight in town.

-------------------------------

Gridiron star, Memorial-area resident to speak at awards dinner

Memorial-area resident and former Houston Oilers guard Doug Dawson is scheduled to be guest speaker at Young Life Southwest Houston's annual awards dinner.
    The event, which begins at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 28, is at the Junior League of Houston, 1811 Briar Oaks. Tickets are $75.

RSVP to 713-667-7108 no later than Sept. 21.
    The dinner also serves as a venue to present the Jerry Eckels Scholarship Award, which honors a Houston-area high school student who lost his life while returning from a church ski trip in January 2005.
    Young Life Southwest Houston, a nonprofit Christian-based organization committed to making an impact on kids' lives and preparing them for the future, is based at 3100 Richmond Ave., suite 290. For more information about the Young Life organization, visit www.younglife.org.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/memorial/news/4198436.html

13. jjc7329

This is my last post on this matter. It was never mentioned that this deal will not happen. From what I understand, he said 'it might be falling apart". If the signing happens, I'm a happy man. If it doesn't, I'm pissed. He might have been exaggerating, and the more that I think about it, he probably was. I'm only passing information from someone who ran into him at a social function. Just the same as I would pass this information on to the rockets fans at my work. Clutch should probably just lock this thread up because I think everything that needs to be said, has been said. That is if Yaozamac doesn't have any more brilliant insight to add to the conversation.

14. mrmrdan

mrmrdan Member

Something's still not right. By now the Wells signing should have made headlines in Yahoo Sports and Sports Illustrated. Something's up methinks.

15. thtckp0112

I understand. With this said. I do not believe the Chronicle would have this story if it was not true.

16. mogrod

I hate when people post bogus rumors but this board wouldn't be what it is if we didn't get tidbits of good, legit info from people who happen to be in the right place at the right time or from our "insiders".

I certainly would hate if I decided to share some good info I somehow came across and then got bashed for it.

Thanks for sharing if true.
    (just don't have enough proof to know either way unfortunately).

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

it's not completely done until he signs but that chronicle article is good enough validation for me. a direct quote from his agent saying he's going to be a rocket plus an explanation why he's not in town yet.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

he hasn't signed yet, he's out of town for a wedding. he isn't a rocket yet but his agent himself says that he has agreed to terms.

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I wasn't super thrilled in the first place when I saw the Bonzi Wells "news" here last night, so I won't be hugely upset either if he ends up botching the deal.

jjc7329 sounds like a pretty credible poster to me, his friend pulling his leg notwithstanding. All this mob-like hate piling is quite unnecessary.

One thing ya'll fail to notice is Clutch has been reluctant to make this "reported" deal a splashing feature on the front page of CF.net. Bonzi may well be signing with the Rockets in the end, but as of now, all we can say is it's still not official.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

JVG is probably reading this thread and laughing his @ss.

He must think Rudy T still coaches the Rox. I know he's a good post up guy but I don't like the thought of Bonzi hogging the ball in iso plays.