1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My friend just saw Van Gundy tonight and talked about Bonzi....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jjc7329, Sep 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

It was a confidential breakfast.

2. jjc7329

jjc7329 Contributing Member

Well, my friend is definately not a liar. I wish I was there, I would have taken pics ;) But like I said, take it for what its worth.

I hope just like you that this deal ends up going down.

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Don't worry people, I just saw Van Gundy at Chester Fried Chicken and he said everything is cool.

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I love your humorous sensibilities Meowgi.

Ah, I feel all better now.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

:D

Come on . . u know that is EXACTLY what JVG would do
    Then kindly turn around and start pulling wings off Flies
    and Bashing baby Seals with Clubs

Rocket River

6. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

Van Gundy just called me and said that what he really meant was that his Honda Accord was breaking down as we speak. He's having someone looking at it now so don't worry.

7. jjc7329

I really don't understand what is so sensitive about this information. It's not like we are involving anyone with a trade. Talking about this signing has absolutely no affect on what happens. Either it goes down, or it doesn't. Everyone knows exactly what the Rockets can offer. So your theory that Van Gundy wouldn't talk about this because he is a secretive man, doesn't hold much water under these circumstances. There is nothing to lose or gain by being secretive.

8. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

I will take it for what its worth............and here is what its worth
    http://lazytoad.com/travel/med/pisa/pisa-Images/4.jpg

9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

did you say your friend was a Mavs fan?

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Clutch should run his IP and see exactly were he's posting from.

I suspect a Mav in Rockets skin.

11. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

If this was true, why the hell would he tell your friend that? It makes no sense!! He would be stressed out of his mind. He would not let you know there is something wrong. It would just be stupid and out of characted for van gundy.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

ahhh percicles, beat you by mere seconds my man. :cool:

13. jjc7329

You know what's funny about this bashfest that I'm getting right now is that everyone loves this site because of the inside information that people post here. But whenever someone posts something they hear that might be construed as untrue, they get a beatdown. Why in the hell would I be making this up. So that I can get some attention? I have been a member here for over 5 years. I contribute money to this website. If I needed attention, I would have posted something a long time ago.

Believe it or not, this happened. Now, I don't know if VG is acting pessimistic about the signing or what, but he said what he said.

14. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

We'll take the Bonzi signing as it is right now...

If he bolts, you will be fine (or some hot girl surfing on this board will ask you for a date)
    But if he stays, you better have your flame-r****dant suit ready

15. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

So our attitude towards this will be complete denial and dismissal? Um...okay then.

*nervously remembering the Francis trade*

16. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

From today's chron:

Wells agrees to join Rockets
    Guard's contract worth almost $4.5 million over two years

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Bonzi Wells, who went from out of the Rockets' price range to too much to hope to land even as he considered taking their modest offer, agreed late Wednesday night to become the latest addition to their radically rebuilt backcourt.

Wells had been considered one of the summer's top free agents, particularly after an extraordinary performance in the Sacramento Kings' playoff series against the San Antonio Spurs. But when he turned down a five-year, $37 million offer from the Kings, they instead filled the roster spot with John Salmons and Wells quickly ran out of high-dollar options.
    Click to learn more...

Wells accepted a two-year deal worth almost $4.5 million, though his agent Bill Duffy said that Wells almost certainly will exercise his option to become a free agent again after the 2006-07 season.

The Rockets will use the $2.1 million left on their mid-level exception to sign Wells for the upcoming season. With Wells, the Rockets will bring 18 players, including nine guards, to training camp next week.

The Rockets hold a $4.2 million trade exception in which they could have signed Wells for $4.2 million in the first season and with maximum raises without the Kings having to take back any salary. But rather than sign the long-term sign-and-trade contract, Wells wanted the option to become a free agent next season.

Rockets officials would not comment until Wells is officially signed. Wells is attending a family wedding this weekend and is not expected to arrive in Houston until Monday when players report for their annual physicals.

Wells had also considered the Nuggets, Bobcats and Heat, with the Bobcats able to offer a much richer contract. But Duffy said that Wells chose to sign with the Rockets because he believed he would fit best with the Rockets.

"That was our analysis," Duffy said. "We feel very strongly that Tracy McGrady is very perimeter oriented. Yao Ming is an interior player. Bonzi is an intermediate player that can play in between them. I think you'll see a lot of post-ups, a lot of isos for Bonzi.

"This is really about the Rockets and the right fit for Bonzi. We feel with the situation with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, he (Wells) can be the third premier player."

Wells, 30, averaged 13.6 points and 7.7 rebounds with the Kings last season and then averaged 23.2 points and 12 rebounds in the Kings' first-round playoff series against the Spurs.

Wells' career, however, has been marked by several incidents. He was twice suspended in Portland, once for cursing former Trail Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks when he was removed from a game and once for "conduct detrimental to the team."

He received NBA suspensions for spitting at former Spurs forward Danny Ferry and for a role in a post-game fight with the Golden State Warriors. His tenure in Memphis ended when he was removed from the Grizzlies' playoff roster after a clash with coach Mike Fratello.

Wells' season in Sacramento, however, had no such problems, leading to the Kings' hefty offer.

"There's no question he's a great talent and he's a guy that can really score the basketball," Rockets forward Shane Battier, Wells' teammate in Memphis, said last week after Wells met with Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy and general manager Carroll Dawson. "If he comes with a good attitude and is surrounded by good guys, he can really help the team."

On Thursday, after Wells had agreed to the deal with the Rockets, Battier said that he thought Wells could be a key addition and that his reference to "attitude" is true for any additions to a team

"After playing with Bonzi for two years, I know what he's capable of doing," Battier said. "He gives us another dimension offensively. Last year the Rockets had a lot of trouble scoring the basketball, especially when Yao and Tracy got hurt. Bonzi adds an offensive presence.

"He's a guy other teams must pay attention to, especially when you put him on the block and throw the ball to him. The margin of error is so small, you always must have everyone on the same page. To win in this league, you must have everyone with a common goal and common beliefs on team. That's essential."

McGrady worked to recruit Wells and said Wednesday that he considered Wells a key addition.

"He adds more depth," McGrady said. "He is the missing piece we need, especially when we match up with teams like Dallas and Phoenix when they go small."

Wells could step in to the starting lineup, replacing David Wesley who started at shooting guard the past two seasons. He also could come off the bench, with his ability to post up and create his own shot more valuable when McGrady or Yao are out.

Either way, he would seem to offer a more proven talent to the Rockets' retooled backcourt and skills different from the other players acquired this off-season.

"Before this happened, I thought we would be very competitive," Battier said. "With the talent we have, especially with the addition of Bonzi, we can be a formidable team nightly."

link:http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4221401.html

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Here's what I suspect. Your friend knows you are a rabid Rockets fan. And he is pulling your leg. If I were you, I would get him back right now without even letting on that you are on to him. Make up some bologna about something that he really likes and have his wife call him and tell him. Something like she is having an affair with you or something.

18. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Maybe Luther Head and Kirk Snyder went to that family wedding and borke Bonzi's knees just so they'd get to keep their minutes?

19. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

Oh hell no....he only does Popeyes[​IMG]

20. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

If you can't handle the response, don't make the post